The Suns next big move

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Let's see who is available at the trade deadline in February. If the right player is available for a fair price it's something to consider. If not, the Suns can make a move next summer.

Some of the best free agents the Suns sign may be their own: Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and Jevon Carter.
Baynes has been huge for them so far, I guess I never watched many Celtics games but really confused why they just gave him to us basically , I will however be pretty disappointed if they do not trade TJ this year, his contract is terrible and he is just not very good , even if it's just for a pick or depth it's better then just paying him this year for nothing

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baynes has been huge for them so far, I guess I never watched many Celtics games but really confused why they just gave him to us basically , I will however be pretty disappointed if they do not trade TJ this year, his contract is terrible and he is just not very good , even if it's just for a pick or depth it's better then just paying him this year for nothing

Boston was trying to get cap space to pull off replacing Kyrie with Kemba. They were set to lose Horford also, which was a real head scratcher.

I agree with trading Tyler Johnson so long as Carter can play at least 80% of what he has so far and Jerome looks close to as good as he did in preseason. That's key to being able to move Tyler without it hurting the Suns depth. Carter has played way above a level that's sustainable and as we saw tonight he came back to earth. He was still making a difference on D so it wasn't a horrible game but we need some guard scoring and I think they'll be able to handle what Johnson has given us so far.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Blake Griffen is the obvious choice.

Not crazy about him, but he is the only one I think may be available and would be a big upgrade.

But really, I think it may be to early to make a move during the season.

We need to see how much Ayton, Mikal, Oubre and Cam improve the rest of the year.
Want no part of Blake.

wonder if warriors would part with draymond. As much as I dislike him, he’d be a pretty outstanding fit with this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In regard to Baynes, I think the Celtics needed to clear salary.

Tyler Johnson is a player that can help the Suns now, his salary could help make a trade for a star possible (if the Suns that direction) and his salary is off the books next season. There is a lot to like. It's a bit different from the contracts of Anderson and Ariza who were not helping the team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Want no part of Blake.

wonder if warriors would part with draymond. As much as I dislike him, he’d be a pretty outstanding fit with this team.

No. I don't want draymond - at all.

His complete inability to shoot is a total non starter. Especially with Rubio already on the court.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
In regard to Baynes, I think the Celtics needed to clear salary.

Tyler Johnson is a player that can help the Suns now, his salary could help make a trade for a star possible (if the Suns that direction) and his salary is off the books next season. There is a lot to like. It's a bit different from the contracts of Anderson and Ariza who were not helping the team.
That's the thing he is a great trade chip, which is why it's be a wasted opportunity if they don't use it, he is a little different because his defense is great it just his offense on most nights is pitiful , if he only shot the ball when he had a wide open layup he'd help the team so much more

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing he is a great trade chip, which is why it's be a wasted opportunity if they don't use it, he is a little different because his defense is great it just his offense on most nights is pitiful , if he only shot the ball when he had a wide open layup he'd help the team so much more

If the trade presents itself sure but the Suns might need him this season if they make a playoff run. The season is early. I think he will play better.

Tyler Johnson is the type player I would like for the Suns to keep in free agency on a reasonable contract. He is not going set the world on fire but he is a great player to come off the bench at the 1 or 2 position. Of course Ty Jerome may have something to say about this when he returns. Jerome brings a lot of the same things to the table.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
If the trade presents itself sure but the Suns might need him this season if they make a playoff run. The season is early. I think he will play better.

Tyler Johnson is the type player I would like for the Suns to keep in free agency on a reasonable contract. He is not going set the world on fire but he is a great player to come off the bench at the 1 or 2 position. Of course Ty Jerome may have something to say about this when he returns. Jerome brings a lot of the same things to the table.
I think Jerome is going to take his spot within his first 5 games , his shooting is going to be big especially since they're bench hasnt been stellar so far

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
We may have our star power forward already, Ayton. I've only been able to watch parts of a few games but what I've seen is inspiring. Much better than expected.

For those who have watched closer, is there any reason we can't run with a duo of Ayton and Baynes up front? If those two can play together with Oubr'e, Booker and Rubio, I'm not sure we need anything else.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Blake is a little intriguing to me. He is often injured, yes, but the upside could be worth the risk. His game has really evolved over the years into a big who can handle the ball and shoot the three. I think he would fit in nicely. That being said I don’t mind if they just stand pat this year and let the team mesh. They seem to have good chemistry and I feel like they have a lot of room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It makes up for Rick Robey.

I wonder if Rick Robey is Ricky Rubio's father.
Their names can't be a coincidence. :)

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what move the Spurs would make. Pop would probably get Rubio to shoot and keep the he rosters as it is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what move the Spurs would make. Pop would probably get Rubio to shoot and keep the he rosters as it is.

I remember talk that Monty was good friends with Popovich and would run any job offers by him last summer. I have a feeling we're seeing something close to how Pop would handle this team. There is a Spurs sort of look to the team this year as well as it's construction. Monty is getting a lot of players that no one thought could do all that much and it's largely because he's only asking them to do what they're good at.

I tried to find something mentioning Popovich as his mentor but I could only find this piece on his wife passing that mentions that. There's a lot of articles out there around when his wife passed where there's talk of Popovich, Duncan, and other Spurs sort of surrounding Monty at that time and helping him through it.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/06/monty-williams-wife-ingrid-family-tragedy-spurs-thunder-pelicans

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point Book was a disaster on defense and nuked his efficiency. I’m glad we have what looks to be a short and long term answer there if Jerome works out.

Carter is only in his 2nd season. I know he looks much older than he is but he could be a stop gap PG if Jerome doesn't work out. I know my initial idea of him being the PGOF was a little much but the more I thought on it the more I could see him as the stop gap sort of player that can hold it down until we can find a franchise PG later. He buys us time. He's a younger version of Patrick Beverly, basically, and a lot of people would have loved adding a PG of Beverly's caliber over the last 2 years. That's the sort of PG Book needs next to him and we know how both Booker and Carter look when paired and it's much better than anything we saw the last 2 seasons.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Reunite Book and Towns. Nobody is untouchable and they’re relationship wouldn’t affect chemistry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point Book was a disaster on defense and nuked his efficiency. I’m glad we have what looks to be a short and long term answer there if Jerome works out.

He was double and triple teamed often whether he had the ball or not. And forcing shots late in the clock or against heavy coverage will wreak havoc on anyone's efficiency. I said then and I believe it now, his shortcomings were more the result of a roster full of G-League wannabes than any real deficiency on his part.

Booker played porous defense but he showed on occasion that he could defend especially that short stretch when Oubre and Tyler were in the lineup. But he couldn't run the team, carry the team and still give full effort on the defensive end. So I am unconvinced that Point Book was the problem. Even right now, if we had another Booker, I'd be starting them at the 1 and the 2.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reunite Book and Towns. Nobody is untouchable and they’re relationship wouldn’t affect chemistry.

That's a great idea 3 months ago, I don't think we could realistically make it happen today. Towns is looking like a legit MVP candidate so far. Maybe if his game falls apart post-Embiid scuffle we could get him for Ayton and an unprotected pick but I think he's out of our price range right now.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a great idea 3 months ago, I don't think we could realistically make it happen today. Towns is looking like a legit MVP candidate so far. Maybe if his game falls apart post-Embiid scuffle we could get him for Ayton and an unprotected pick but I think he's out of our price range right now.
I don’t think trade values are that fluid.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

For sure. KAT is looking like an offensive/defensive anchor right now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

yeah, don’t think that is happening.

Minnesota is not trading him for anything the suns have right now.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah, don’t think that is happening.

Minnesota is not trading him for anything the suns have right now.
Towns would have to WANT out for some reason. No inkling of that at the moment.

We could always off Giannis the max when he is a FA. Dreams are free.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
I say forget adding this year and lets run with what we have. I like our depth and its just a matter of time someone misses time on the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Towns did demand a trade and the Suns would include Ayton in a deal for him, I'm not sure what other team could beat the Suns offer if it was Ayton and expirings for Towns. So if it happened at the deadline this year, Ayton and Tyler Johnson for KAT. From a talent standpoint we would be able to offer the best return because no other team with a rising star that is better than Ayton will offer them for Towns.

There aren't many that fit that category anyway and Dallas isn't trading Doncic, Atlanta wouldn't trade Trae Young, Sacramento is dumb so no one could be sure what they would do but I think it's unlikely they would trade Fox. New Orleans isn't trading Zion. So who beats Ayton in return?

I think Minnesota might try to dump salary with Towns if they dealt him and if that's the case then the Suns would have some competition because then you're talking about including Wiggins or Dieng. Dieng is due $17 million next year and then expires so it's not super ugly but Wiggins is owed $29.5 next year, $31.5 the following, and $33.6 in his last year. Who wants to owe Wiggins $95 million over the next 3 seasons?