SF vs ARI: Heroes and Goats

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's a tall task when you are sprinting in chase position. I think it was Aikman who said as much.

I wouldn't key in on a play where Reddick is sprinting to catch a much faster player to condemn his play, there are 100's of other plays where Reddick has no excuse. At least with this play, most ILBs would've been beaten like this.
But that’s just it. It’s not his lack of ability, few ilb are going to cover sanders. It’s his lack of football iq. At a point early in that pursuit he has to know he’s not catchin sanders. So why is he sprinting at him? He’s not going to cover him at that point. To make a tackle? He’s in the end zone if he catches it. So it should be instinctive for a trained linebacker after three years to get hands up or turn your head to see if you can tip the ball. There’s no other play for him to make at that juncture.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at that play and if Reddick turned his head to look for the ball at all, he could have blocked or picked it off for a pick 6. Even if he put out his right arm/hand out, he would have blocked it. Not sure why he didnt atleast do that when he saw Sanders arms go to his chest for the catch.

Yeah there was a similar throw over PP to Sanders that if PP had seen it was a picksix but the timing on the throw was so perfect that PP didn't know the ball was in the air. But that was a downfield throw where PP has lots to think about, on the play against Reddick there's only so much room because of the endzone for him to not realize I should be looking for the ball was pretty bad. Sanders can only run so far before he goes out the back of the endzone so at some point Reddick has to think maybe I should be looking?

Just not a good player.

To be fair, he was the one who stuffed the run play that never happened thanks to the timeout

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have resigned myself to viewing Reddick as a slightly better Bucannon, but not playing under Bowles or Bettcher so his value is even lower.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
OT: Deadspin is now a zombie blog, which is sad. I hadn't been reading it as long as I wish I had, but it was a great place to gather different voices and address sports in a fiercely irreverent and outsidery way. I wandered in the wilderness for a while after Grantland, and Deadspin was what I needed. It's going to be hard to track the writers that I liked like Barry Petchesky, Dom Constantino (a good NFL writer), David Roth, and (especially) Drew Magary. I first discovered Deadspin when they broke the book open on Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend, but I came to love it in the last four years. RIP.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kenyan Drake - Welcome to Arizona, Kenyan. This might be the best Cardinals debut since Anquan Boldin's first game. I think it speaks to the robustness of the offense that's being built here.

Budda Baker - Credit where it's due: Baker was all over the field last night. It wasn't a perfect night, and Baker really struggles in man coverage without significant help. But he played better down in the box.

Joe Walker - The reason Haason Reddick is sitting out on 55% of the defensive snaps is because he can't make good run fits. San Francisco rushed for 3.26 YPC is because Joe Walker can.

Patrick Peterson - Ugh. Not a good night from Patrick Peterson. Bad-to-nonexistent tackling plus a rough night in coverage. Maybe it takes an embarrassment like this to get him locked in for the rest of the year?

Christian Kirk - 5 targets resulted in 2 receptions for 8 yards and 0 first downs. I love it when people say that Kirk is good.

Terrell Suggs - Had another neutral zone infraction penalty last night. His fifth pre-snap penalty of the year.

Did the future of football arrive?
People will point to Murray's high QB rating against a very good defense and 10 YPA and say that he had a great night. While the memory is still fresh, let's look at Murray's 3rd downs:

On seven 3rd down plays, Murray had 2 first downs (plus one due to a penalty) and two sacks.

Joe Walker on the hero's list!? Outrageous! It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty!

Although, I guess I have to admit he played passably. He exceeded expectations.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
These were my thoughts viewing that play. He had to know he wasn’t “catching” sanders. So the logical thing seeing a shallow route would be to try to disrupt it. He’s not football smart.
"He's not football smart." is the most appropriate phrase.

At the end of the game on 3rd down, Jimmy hits Sanders on a stop route where Jimmy threw away from an outside leveraged Patrick Peterson. The pass seem to be completed between three Cardinals as there was a S, Peterson outside, and Reddick inside. What is funny is that it is Reddick who screwed up. Instead of flowing to the sideline to help his CB who is playing with outside leverage expecting help inside, Reddick goes against his body to the player running a crosser. That player is being trailed by Hicks (I think) and has the S coming down over the top because of pressure on Jimmy. Because Reddick has zero football smarts, the 49ers convert and Murray is left on the sideline.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But that’s just it. It’s not his lack of ability, few ilb are going to cover sanders. It’s his lack of football iq. At a point early in that pursuit he has to know he’s not catchin sanders. So why is he sprinting at him? He’s not going to cover him at that point. To make a tackle? He’s in the end zone if he catches it. So it should be instinctive for a trained linebacker after three years to get hands up or turn your head to see if you can tip the ball. There’s no other play for him to make at that juncture.
Yes...Reddick struggles with scheme, space and timing. He is the opposite of a player like Richard Sherman who remains in the league because he understands these things.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Humphries is well on his way toward playing himself out of a second contract with this team... He has become a collector of yellow hankies... which speaks to his laziness and inability to stay focused. I'd be surprised if he was on this roster next year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think Humphries is well on his way toward playing himself out of a second contract with this team... He has become a collector of yellow hankies... which speaks to his laziness and inability to stay focused. I'd be surprised if he was on this roster next year.
Just keep in mind that there are many positions that this team needs to address on the D side.

Young League average Starting LT's do not come available in FA.

A rookie T is mtl not the way to go when a true impact prospect is likely to be available when Cardinals have their #1 pick. I'm done with this team picking replacements for their #1. It hasn't worked.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OT: Deadspin is now a zombie blog, which is sad. I hadn't been reading it as long as I wish I had, but it was a great place to gather different voices and address sports in a fiercely irreverent and outsidery way. I wandered in the wilderness for a while after Grantland, and Deadspin was what I needed. It's going to be hard to track the writers that I liked like Barry Petchesky, Dom Constantino (a good NFL writer), David Roth, and (especially) Drew Magary. I first discovered Deadspin when they broke the book open on Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend, but I came to love it in the last four years. RIP.

Kenyan Drake - Welcome to Arizona, Kenyan. This might be the best Cardinals debut since Anquan Boldin's first game. I think it speaks to the robustness of the offense that's being built here.

Budda Baker - Credit where it's due: Baker was all over the field last night. It wasn't a perfect night, and Baker really struggles in man coverage without significant help. But he played better down in the box.

Joe Walker - The reason Haason Reddick is sitting out on 55% of the defensive snaps is because he can't make good run fits. San Francisco rushed for 3.26 YPC is because Joe Walker can.

Patrick Peterson - Ugh. Not a good night from Patrick Peterson. Bad-to-nonexistent tackling plus a rough night in coverage. Maybe it takes an embarrassment like this to get him locked in for the rest of the year?

Christian Kirk - 5 targets resulted in 2 receptions for 8 yards and 0 first downs. I love it when people say that Kirk is good.

Terrell Suggs - Had another neutral zone infraction penalty last night. His fifth pre-snap penalty of the year.

Did the future of football arrive?
People will point to Murray's high QB rating against a very good defense and 10 YPA and say that he had a great night. While the memory is still fresh, let's look at Murray's 3rd downs:

On seven 3rd down plays, Murray had 2 first downs (plus one due to a penalty) and two sacks.
So lets add context to those 3rd down plays

Pugh got destroyed immediately on that 3rd down sack
He missed Kirk. Bad throw
Throw out of bounds
Fitz play was on 3rd and 27. Previously screen picked up at 16 yards and negated due to a bad penalty.
Dee Ford gets free and forces a pass short of the marker.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"He's not football smart." is the most appropriate phrase.

At the end of the game on 3rd down, Jimmy hits Sanders on a stop route where Jimmy threw away from an outside leveraged Patrick Peterson. The pass seem to be completed between three Cardinals as there was a S, Peterson outside, and Reddick inside. What is funny is that it is Reddick who screwed up. Instead of flowing to the sideline to help his CB who is playing with outside leverage expecting help inside, Reddick goes against his body to the player running a crosser. That player is being trailed by Hicks (I think) and has the S coming down over the top because of pressure on Jimmy. Because Reddick has zero football smarts, the 49ers convert and Murray is left on the sideline.

There were a couple of plays like that where you could read Vance's lips swearing up a storm after Reddick did something wrong.

The style of defense we're playing is almost like basketball where 4 guys can be good defenders but if you have 1 bad defender it makes everyone else look bad trying to cover for him.

I seriously wonder if Reddick will be in the league next year, he's too short to convert to TE and I can't imagine at his age anybody converting him to FB in a league where they barely still exist.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would never call him a goat, but I think that Andy Lee's 1st punt contributed mightily to our poor 1st half. The Cardinals opening drive was one of beauty & resulted in a touchdown. Then our D stepped up and forced SF into a 3 & out. We then drove to the SF 40 before Humphries procedure penalty took us out of a very manageable 3rd & 3. Once the Niners knew we were throwing, they pinned back their ears & completely embarrassed Pugh to get to Murray. We were still in perfect position to keep the Niners pinned deep. Then Andy had a 24 yard punt & that flipped the field completely in the favor of the Niners. From that point on, we started every possession on our own 10. Tough to run your offense against a dangerous D when you start on your own 10 time and time again.

A goat for me were the AZ Cardinal fans. We have an undefeated team come to town for a nationally televised game, and it should have EXPLODED when we scored on the opening drive. Instead, at least on TV, the loudest the crowd got was when the Niners scored.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would never call him a goat, but I think that Andy Lee's 1st punt contributed mightily to our poor 1st half. The Cardinals opening drive was one of beauty & resulted in a touchdown. Then our D stepped up and forced SF into a 3 & out. We then drove to the SF 40 before Humphries procedure penalty took us out of a very manageable 3rd & 3. Once the Niners knew we were throwing, they pinned back their ears & completely embarrassed Pugh to get to Murray. We were still in perfect position to keep the Niners pinned deep. Then Andy had a 24 yard punt & that flipped the field completely in the favor of the Niners. From that point on, we started every possession on our own 10. Tough to run your offense against a dangerous D when you start on your own 10 time and time again.

A goat for me were the AZ Cardinal fans. We have an undefeated team come to town for a nationally televised game, and it should have EXPLODED when we scored on the opening drive. Instead, at least on TV, the loudest the crowd got was when the Niners scored.

A lot of people were still coming in when we scored the first touchdown. Traffic was absolutely miserable and rush hour started much earlier with people going home early on Halloween.

On Lee, yes, that punt completely changed the feel of the game in the first half.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of odd to say this after winning the battle against Bosa.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Biggest goat: Patrick Peterson
It is a shame we did not trade him. He literally was burnt on every attempt to throw at him.

Honorable mention: Kliff K. Such an undisciplined team reflected in so many penalties at the worst times. Coach your timeout call and then your challenge. Let’s not forget that Drake was torching SF and then once we got into the red zone on several possessions he was not handed the ball.

Another goat that did not even play:
David Johnson....You got paid and now you are an average running back. I would love to see you traded and live with Kenyon Drake and Edmonds.
Tired of players getting paid and then coasting!

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Also love BB making the hero's list.

He had three legit Passes defensed, and was flying around the field like a maniac.

For one night, he was the best Free Safety in the NFL.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It is a shame we did not trade him. He literally was burnt on every attempt to throw at him.

Honorable mention: Kliff K. Such an undisciplined team reflected in so many penalties at the worst times. Coach your timeout call and then your challenge. Let’s not forget that Drake was torching SF and then once we got into the red zone on several possessions he was not handed the ball.

David Johnson....You got paid and now you are an average running back. I would love to see you traded and live with Kenyon Drake and Edmonds.

The same Kingsbury who had an underdog, rag tag roster giving it 150%, and somehow making it a game against one of the best teams in the league?

You say "the buck stops with K2", and that's fair. You say "he ultimately responsible for this", and "he's ultimately responsible for that". Okay, I agree.

If K2 is the team CEO, and if he should be held accountable for everything that happens on the field, then what do you say about his performance in getting the team ready to play this past Thursday? Full on goat? No. Honorable mention for the hero's list? Yes.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Even though he fell on the sword about that timeout call, that was not his choice he was merely the messenger. I believe that Vance actually called that once he saw how the Niners were lined up. That is simply over coaching and not remembering all the hard work you and your coaches did trying to understand opponents tendencies and anticipating them.

As for the challenge, in real time it was certainly a head scratcher but the more I thought about it the more sense it made from his perspective. I don't think he took into account the probability of how often the spot of the ball is overturned as part of the decision making process but even then I am guessing he felt the defense was done and would not stop the Niners offense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The subpar outing by PP21 was especially distressing, because he's been so good that we expect him to be "the guy you assign to your opponent's best WR and then forget about them."

The fall-off in production was especially damning because we've always expected Patrick to take care of business.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me too @MadCardDisease . Suggs has truly disappointed.

I'm half and half on Budda. Was he all over the place? Yes. Did he still get burned by Kittle and made to look like a fool on national TV? Absolutely. I actually think the lack of prep time for San Fran really helped him this week as they had no time to scheme up some truly good misdirection plays.

Our run defense last night truly exposed how horrible of a bust Reddick is. How about the TD at the end of the half? When Jimmy threw it, it seems to be in the air for 5 full minutes. Time slowed down for me and I instantly saw it was Reddick guarding the WR. It was at that instant, that I realized how truly god-awful Reddick's instincts are.

Our 3rd down defense is truly reflective of our LBer's and our inability to pressure the QB. Truly embarrassing.

Love that comment @kerouac9. And I am hopeful that K2 can learn from his situational gaffe's like he has with his personnel groupings. We may have an offense that can get a lot of things done in the NFL going forward.

And Hasson tipped a pass over the middle that still got to the receiver for a TD.

And Hasson made the tackle that, not for the brain fart time out, would have kept SF out of the endzone just before half time.