The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
I love when players, in order to preserve time, let the ball roll for a while before picking it up, and then once they pick it up they proceed to walk slowly across half court and have no sense of urgency...huh.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka Doncic with 31 points, 13 rebounds and 15 assists in loss to Lakers.

Even in loss he is that good. It's almost like he and Lebron were trading blows before Lebron prevailed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kings at home beat Jazz tonight by 1 point to get their first win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At a team average of 211 pounds, the Suns are the lightest team in the league.

I expected it to be different.

Our current starting 5 averages even less, 209.2.

Baynes.........260
Saric............216
Oubre..........203
Booker........206
Rubio..........190

The key difference is Saric's 216 at PF.

If our Power Forward weighed 235, the average
would jump to 218.8 versus our 209.2, a big
difference.

If it were Ayton's 250 (with Baynes in the lineup),
it would jump to 221.8.

Those are the numbers.

Updating my post with these latest figures:

Baynes...........Still 260
Saric.........Back to 225
Oubre.......Back to 205
Booker.....Back to 210
Rubio.............Still 190

An average for our starting lineup of 218 vs.
the previous supposed new average of 209.

If Ayton were in the lineup with Baynes
instead of Saric, the average weight for
our starting lineup would be 223 lbs.
------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the height/weight stats for our
starting lineup and bench/not available
as of this latest official info:

Aron Baynes...........C.....6'10"-260
Dario Saric.............PF....6'10"-225
Kelly Oubre...........SF.....6'7"-205
Devin Booker........SG.....6'5"-210
Ricky Rubio,,,,,,,,,,,PG.....6'3"-190

Frank Kaminsky...C-PF...7'0"-240
Mkal Bridges.........SF.....6'6"-210
Cam Johnson.......SF......6'8"-205
Tyler Johnson......SG.....6'3"-190
Jevon Carter........PG.....6'1"-195

Cheick Diallo.........PF....6'8"-220
Elie Okobo...........SG....6'3"-190"
Ty Jerome...........PG....6'5"-195
Jalen Mecque......PG....6'3"-185

Deandre Ayton....C....6'11"-250

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's like... let Lebron have the layup with the Mavericks up by 3. Instead they leave Green open in corner to tie.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, at this point, Ayton will need to become Hakeem Olajuwon to justify passing on Doncic

Something like that. Kings and Hawks passed on him as well.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d be more mad if I was a Kings fan. Ayton was the obvious pick. It’s easy to question now, but hard to fault the suns for selecting him. But man, how do you not take Doncic #2.

During the lottery I almost wanted us to get the #2 pick so we wouldn’t have to decide between Ayton and Doncic.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, at this point, Ayton will need to become Hakeem Olajuwon to justify passing on Doncic
Not really. Luka is a great offensive player, but he is not the two way talent of an MJ for instance. All that matters is that Ayton becomes a very good player and plays a significant role in this becoming a contender.

Another thing that some of the 2nd guessers are overlooking IMO is the fit of Booker and Doncic. Neither really hangs their hat on the defensive end and they both want to have the ball in their hands in big moments. Not completely sure that the two would coexist all that smoothly.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Not really. Luka is a great offensive player, but he is not the two way talent of an MJ for instance. All that matters is that Ayton becomes a very good player and plays a significant role in this becoming a contender.

Another thing that some of the 2nd guessers are overlooking IMO is the fit of Booker and Doncic. Neither really hangs their hat on the defensive end and they both want to have the ball in their hands in big moments. Not completely sure that the two would coexist all that smoothly.

Doncic looks like a guy who could fit in. I would guess they could make it work. In the hypothetical that the Suns took Doncic and had to choose between Booker or Doncic, I think you go with the guy who can run the point and fill out the stat sheet with points and rebounds

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Doncic looks like a guy who could fit in. I would guess they could make it work. In the hypothetical that the Suns took Doncic and had to choose between Booker or Doncic, I think you go with the guy who can run the point and fill out the stat sheet with points and rebounds
Which leaves you with just one of the two guys. Drafting Ayton (even if he doesn't end up as good of a player as Doncic) ensures that you are getting a guy that should fit very well with the star player that you already have.

We also haven't been able to see the progress that Ayton has made to this point or the progress that he will make over the next few years. I get that it's easy to get swept up in the here and now, but players develop at all different rates and just because Doncic may appear to be way a head of Ayton at the moment (not exactly getting the chance to see Ayton's current progress unfortunately) does not mean he will be leaps and bounds ahead of him when they are fully developed.

Ayton is already clearly a good player and also clearly has the physical tools to be much more than good, but we need to let his development happen and not worry too much about what another guy on another team happens to be doing at the moment.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Which leaves you with just one of the two guys. Drafting Ayton (even if he doesn't end up as good of a player as Doncic) ensures that you are getting a guy that should fit very well with the star player that you already have.

We also haven't been able to see the progress that Ayton has made to this point or the progress that he will make over the next few years. I get that it's easy to get swept up in the here and now, but players develop at all different rates and just because Doncic may appear to be way a head of Ayton at the moment (not exactly getting the chance to see Ayton's current progress unfortunately) does not mean he will be leaps and bounds ahead of him when they are fully developed.

Ayton is already clearly a good player and also clearly has the physical tools to be much more than good, but we need to let his development happen and not worry too much about what another guy on another team happens to be doing at the moment.

Hey man, I am hopeful Ayton becomes some combination of Hakeem and David Robinson. Or i would settle for him becoming a healthy Anthony Davis or a KAT who actually cares.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm shocked the Suns might benefit from it though with Embiid out for the game against the Suns coming up. I'm surprised Silver didn't make it 1 game now and 1 after the Suns game, 2 after the Suns game if he can't lead them to victory.

Pressure game for the Suns. Looks like a win but who is going to cover Simmons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pressure game for the Suns. Looks like a win but who is going to cover Simmons.

Covering him isn't much of an issue if Baynes is inside guarding the paint. Simmons won't shoot from outside so the key is to keep him from penetrating. Rubio is listed as 6'4" but he reminds me of Nash in that he doesn't look that tall but I guess he is with the NBA's new found push for accurate measurements. Rubio is a good defender for the most part and if he can stay in front of Simmons also that will help. Carter will be outmatched size wise so it'll be interesting to see how many minutes he plays.

The Sixers started Matisse Thybulle the other day, who is a 6'5" shooting guard. That will help us counter their size because they started Simmons, Josh Richardson, Tobias Harris, Horford, and Embiid in the first 3 games. Thybulle is shooting 24% on the year.

I would imagine they'll hide Booker on Thybulle and use Booker to help double Simmons, if need be. Oubre on Richardson, Saric on Harris, and Baynes vs Horford. Baynes and Horford went at each other in practice the last few years in Boston, it'll be interesting to see that matchup. I would imagine both guys will give their teammates some tips about their guy also since they're familiar with one another.

It'll be a good game, for sure. Sixers are undefeated still at 4-0. Missing Embiid will be big for them and a favor for the Suns because the Suns should be able to match up with their size much better now. I knew they lost Reddick to New Orleans but I didn't realize they got that much bigger without him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn’t leave him open. Howard held curry. Saw it in real time. Someone posted vid here. Cheaters.

Yeah. the Lakers held no doubt about it. The defenders could have dropped off Lebron earlier though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson