Takeaways on SF Game

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Had to DVR the game to do the trick or treat thing. Just finished watching it and it was a much better game than I expected.

1) P2 is washed up or his heart isn't in it. In hindsight think we probably should have dealt him when he was demanding a trade. It was tough to fathom at the time as we didn't have much talent to sacrifice, but the whole thing with wanting volunteers and not hostages is a real thing.

2) Dang it was refreshing to see a RB who could make plays and also was fighting for each yard. Instead of running out of bounds Drake would cut back into the contact and get a few more yards. He was running down the middle with commitment. It's one game, so who knows but he looked way better than DJ has in a long time. Drake looked like a competitor out there and only had a few days to prepare. Don't get me wrong, Chase balled vs the Giants but I think that was outlier.

3) Kyler is still looking good but he needs to throw the ball away or just go down and accept a loss of a few yards when a jail break happens. Scrambling back 15 or 20 yards and getting sacked is can't happen.

4) KK has been doing some nice play calling and then inexplicably starts deviating from what is working or makes a terrible decision. That challenge at the end of the game was as bad as going for it on our own 30.

5) Our run defense looked decent overall. I'm over zone blitz when we can't cover without it. I'd rather see cover zero blitzes and try to get home. Vance needs to get a scheme together that prevents the defense from getting picked apart in the passing game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished the game too lol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Had to DVR the game to do the trick or treat thing. Just finished watching it and it was a much better game than I expected.

1) P2 is washed up or his heart isn't in it. In hindsight think we probably should have dealt him when he was demanding a trade. It was tough to fathom at the time as we didn't have much talent to sacrifice, but the whole thing with wanting volunteers and not hostages is a real thing.

2) Dang it was refreshing to see a RB who could make plays and also was fighting for each yard. Instead of running out of bounds Drake would cut back into the contact and get a few more yards. He was running down the middle with commitment. It's one game, so who knows but he looked way better than DJ has in a long time. Drake looked like a competitor out there and only had a few days to prepare. Don't get me wrong, Chase balled vs the Giants but I think that was outlier.

3) Kyler is still looking good but he needs to throw the ball away or just go down and accept a loss of a few yards when a jail break happens. Scrambling back 15 or 20 yards and getting sacked is can't happen.

4) KK has been doing some nice play calling and then inexplicably starts deviating from what is working or makes a terrible decision. That challenge at the end of the game was as bad as going for it on our own 30.

5) Our run defense looked decent overall. I'm over zone blitz when we can't cover without it. I'd rather see cover zero blitzes and try to get home. Vance needs to get a scheme together that prevents the defense from getting picked apart in the passing game.

1.) I think it's both.
2.) This is an outlier game for Drake too. Look at his career and you will find he has a game like this every once in a while.
3.) Not sure he will break this habit.
4.) Maybe this is why he couldn't win at the college level. Too many brain farts.
5.) I don't think he has the talent available to do much more than he is doing now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand being mad at KK for calling that TO before half because that was just atrocious, but are really gonna pretend that extra timeout was going to do anything at the end? Only thing it would’ve done is just extend the game for a minute or two before the Niners would’ve converted 3rd down regardless.

Patrick Peterson lost that game way more than KK did.

Reaction score

. . . are really gonna pretend that extra timeout was going to do anything at the end? Only thing it would’ve done is just extend the game for a minute or two before the Niners would’ve converted 3rd down regardless.
I am agreeing, with Vontel that losing that time out on the challenge cost little to nothing. Unfortunately, (in the NFL) the play that KK challenged was too close for it to get overturned. However, rewatching that play, it was easy to see that the runner's left foot indeed landed inbounds on the initial step, but he never picked that left foot up and it dragged through the sideline paint as he went out short of the sticks.

Ultimately, I think that specific play was inconsequential, because my position remains, "to win in the NFL, you have to be good enough to beat the other team, AND the bad calls that go against you!"

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

The challenge was fine. It would have been nice to have that extra time if we got the ball back, but we never did, and even with the extra time out, SF still would have been able to run out the clock. The failed challenge resulting in the lost time out had absolutely nothing to do with anything, as it turned out. Our defense could not get off the damn field, so I don't blame him one bit for taking a chance with the challenge.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I understand being mad at KK for calling that TO before half because that was just atrocious, but are really gonna pretend that extra timeout was going to do anything at the end? Only thing it would’ve done is just extend the game for a minute or two before the Niners would’ve converted 3rd down regardless.

Patrick Peterson lost that game way more than KK did.

Disagree that the TO before the end of the half was "atrocious." The result was bad, but the TO was fine. It was strategy to make them burn their preferred goal-line play. Giving up the TD is what killed us, not the TO before it happened. Besides, it looked to me like several players heard the whistle before the snap, so some 9ers probably gave up on the play before it even started.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am agreeing, with Vontel that losing that time out on the challenge cost little to nothing. Unfortunately, (in the NFL) the play that KK challenged was too close for it to get overturned. However, rewatching that play, it was easy to see that the runner's left foot indeed landed inbounds on the initial step, but he never picked that left foot up and it dragged through the sideline paint as he went out short of the sticks.

Ultimately, I think that specific play was inconsequential, because my position remains, "to win in the NFL, you have to be good enough to beat the other team, AND the bad calls that go against you!"

As soon as they showed the replay, it was obvious that he did indeed get the first down as the ball was at the first down marker and his left foot was in bounds. As soon as they said KK is challenging the call I knew he just wasted a TO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.Despite injuries the offensive line played above average.
2.We scored 25 points on a defense that was allowing just 11 points per game.
3.We had over 150 yards running against one of the top rated defenses.
4. We appeared to have found a rb capable of breaking a tackle.
5. Maybe , just maybe, we have an idea of what Isabella can add to this offense.
6. There are times Kyler is going to take a sack while trying to avoid a sack. Many times he will succeed.