Drake Dilemma

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy solution. You keep all three. DJ’s will be playing his final year of his contract . Drake is only 25 and we’ve seen what Edmond brings. We NEED 3 rb’s. In 2021 might not include DJ.

Yep. I wait a few more game to see what you have in Drake. If he continues to look good you can sign Drake long term and put most of his money in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

You keep DJ for 2020. Either get him to take a pay cut or cut him in 2021.

Guys like Edmonds are a dime a dozen. Worry about him when the time comes.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Guys like Drake are a dime a dozen too but sometimes you get lucky.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem becomes if drake does light the world on fire we can’t afford him. He will get $8m+ money from a team like Indy or Seattle. We just can’t do that with the cost of DJ and the 15 other position we need to solidify. It becomes a real crummy situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would Indy or Seattle move on from young, inexpensive, successful backs like Carson and Mack for a more expensive drake?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Why would Indy or Seattle move on from young, inexpensive, successful backs like Carson and Mack for a more expensive drake?

Both are FA in 2021 so both teams planning for the future so they can afford to take on higher priced guy while they have one year left of a guy who is short money. Mack has only rushed over 100 yards twice this year and Carson 3 times with one being against AZ. Drake is also a better pass catcher than both.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I wait a few more game to see what you have in Drake. If he continues to look good you can sign Drake long term and put most of his money in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

You keep DJ for 2020. Either get him to take a pay cut or cut him in 2021.

Guys like Edmonds are a dime a dozen. Worry about him when the time comes.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/david-johnson-16810/

If i'm reading this right we can't do anything but keep DJ next year because of the 14 million caphit or SIXTEEN million in dead money if we cut him. So I think barring a miracle where some other team loses RB's and is desperate enough to trade for DJ next year, he'll be here in 2020. And then cut or traded in 21 when the dead cap drops dramatically to 3 million.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/david-johnson-16810/

If i'm reading this right we can't do anything but keep DJ next year because of the 14 million caphit or SIXTEEN million in dead money if we cut him. So I think barring a miracle where some other team loses RB's and is desperate enough to trade for DJ next year, he'll be here in 2020. And then cut or traded in 21 when the dead cap drops dramatically to 3 million.

Yep. Which is why I said we keep him for 2020.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't trade him he makes too much money. he's a sunk cost so IMO you use him in the things he does best, catch the ball, and he's still pretty good in short yardage near the goalline because of his size.

The thing that Drake does better than Edmonds is catching the ball, he runs better routes and has better hands. You could see the impact on the passing game not having DJ in there to throw to. I feel quite good with Drake and Edmonds running the ball, DJ catching it and getting short yards. Is he massively overpaid to do that, yes, but you can't trade him
I've never seen a bad team that has too many good players.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you recall my post about Edmonds I pointed out that KK’s offensive changes the nature of the running back that can prosper. Drake was once a running back who danced and delayed hitting the hole. He’s clearly corrected that. Why he reminded me of Edmonds was how quickly he hit the hole. However, I thought he broke tackles more effectively. He’s closer to a replacement for DJ, except the dollars say DJ stays. Edmonds is easily the most affordable. I’m not saying the dilemma is immediate but I think at year’s end the Cards will have 3 effective runners. If I’m right the dollars to keep all 3 considering all the Cards’ hole looks untenable.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you recall my post about Edmonds I pointed out that KK’s offensive changes the nature of the running back that can prosper. Drake was once a running back who danced and delayed hitting the hole. He’s clearly corrected that. Why he reminded me of Edmonds was how quickly he hit the hole. However, I thought he broke tackles more effectively. He’s closer to a replacement for DJ, except the dollars say DJ stays. Edmonds is easily the most affordable. I’m not saying the dilemma is immediate but I think at year’s end the Cards will have 3 effective runners. If I’m right the dollars to keep all 3 considering all the Cards’ hole looks untenable.

Harry, how much will Drake command in the open market? With a big cap space available isn't worthy to keep all 3 (assuming Drake continues to impress more)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would agree if we didn't have a significant amount of cap space next year. We can eat a year of overpaying a RB corp. Also, you can stack Drake's contract for a lower cap hit year one.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Harry, how much will Drake command in the open market? With a big cap space available isn't worthy to keep all 3 (assuming Drake continues to impress more)

Last year Ingram got 3 for 15 and Coleman got 2 for 10. I think Drake will want something similar and it may increase if he keeps this up. Drake is younger than Ingram and the same age as Coleman was when he signed. He will want a 2 for 12 type deal. I just don’t see the cards spending close to $22m at the position when the cowboys who just locked up zeke won’t be spending half of that for their entire RB group.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
4 to 6 mil per year. On par with the Tevin Coleman and Mark Ingram contracts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Last year Ingram got 3 for 15 and Coleman got 2 for 10. I think Drake will want something similar and it may increase if he keeps this up. Drake is younger than Ingram and the same age as Coleman was when he signed. He will want a 2 for 12 type deal. I just don’t see the cards spending close to $22m at the position when the cowboys who just locked up zeke won’t be spending half of that for their entire RB group.

I think it is worth eating for one year. You are correct that it is not optimal long term.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But their pass D just as bad as ours, maybe worse. I’ll be mad if we don’t air it out a lot.
Bowles is going to blitz a lot...

So Kyler may need to run quite a bit. However, I'd be disappointed if we don't throw for 300 yards against them.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I would agree if we didn't have a significant amount of cap space next year. We can eat a year of overpaying a RB corp. Also, you can stack Drake's contract for a lower cap hit year one.

You can only lower his year one salary so much. This isn’t the MLB contracts aren’t guaranteed so players want as much as they can get early. If another team offers him same money but more guaranteed and year 1 he’s going there.

I think it is worth eating for one year. You are correct that it is not optimal long term.

It’s just another year of less money going towards the OLine and defense. We literally can’t afford that.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Any decision on Drake will of course be based on what he contributes over the rest of the season. The Drake supporter ( including me) are based on what he did last night. If he continues then you keep him. Cap space be damn. DJ will probably be gone in 2021.
Yeah, you sign him and fix the many other areas that need an influx of talent. He and Humphries may be our two big signings, unless we can really get a top flight safety or LB in here.

Also KK seems to really like this 25 yr. old. "perfect fit".

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Edmonds will only cost $1.6M over the 2020 and 2021 seasons combined. That's peanuts.

Question is how much will Drake cost to keep him longer term?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Edmonds will only cost $1.6M over the 2020 and 2021 seasons combined. That's peanuts.

Question is how much will Drake cost to keep him longer term?

I just answered that above 2 for 10 is the minimum prob closer to 2 for 12.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just answered that above 2 for 10 is the minimum prob closer to 2 for 12.

Cannot Cardinals observe a 3 year 25 million contract with 13 guaranteed? (ball park #s). I think they can.

Again, Drake has a lot to prove in the next 7 games

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Cannot Cardinals observe a 3 year 25 million contract with 13 guaranteed? (ball park #s). I think they can.

Again, Drake has a lot to prove in the next 7 games

That is insanely too much money and they can’t if they want to utilize the cap and upgrade the positions of need.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can only lower his year one salary so much. This isn’t the MLB contracts aren’t guaranteed so players want as much as they can get early. If another team offers him same money but more guaranteed and year 1 he’s going there.

It’s just another year of less money going towards the OLine and defense. We literally can’t afford that.

Unless he knows he will play far better here

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Unless he knows he will play far better here

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

He has to compete with DJ and Edmonds for carries. He could go to a team where he will get more run. Curious to see what happens with his snaps when DJ comes back.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
love that the site has threads where the problem is the Cards dont have enough good players and this one where the problem is that the Cards have too many good players

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't trade him he makes too much money. he's a sunk cost so IMO you use him in the things he does best, catch the ball, and he's still pretty good in short yardage near the goalline because of his size.

The thing that Drake does better than Edmonds is catching the ball, he runs better routes and has better hands. You could see the impact on the passing game not having DJ in there to throw to. I feel quite good with Drake and Edmonds running the ball, DJ catching it and getting short yards. Is he massively overpaid to do that, yes, but you can't trade him

I know it's only one game, but in addition to Drake's ability to run and catch the ball, he also seemed far more interested in protecting Murray than DJ & Edmonds have.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it's only one game, but in addition to Drake's ability to run and catch the ball, he also seemed far more interested in protecting Murray than DJ & Edmonds have.
Yup.

Kenyan has always been a solid pass protector.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave