Drake Dilemma

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Drake has improved. I can see why they wanted him. He used to dance too much but now he hits the hole and is up to max speed quickly. He still exhibits a nice jump cut. The Cards will have a tough call. He looks like Edmonds, but with more power to break tackles. Edmonds is much cheaper, of course.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Drake has improved. I can see why they wanted him. He used to dance too much but now he hits the hole and is up to max speed quickly. He still exhibits a nice jump cut. The Cards will have a tough call. He looks like Edmonds, but with more power to break tackles. Edmonds is much cheaper, of course.

And where does David Johnson fit into the mix? Hasn’t been effective since 2016.

Reaction score
David wasn’t even with the team tonight... I know he has a family but cmon man, your team is hurting without you. I think drake/Edmonds could be the future. Maybe find a trade for DJ. Question is, do we eat the cap hit if he is traded? Wouldn’t make sense to move David being how much he’s paid.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You keep all 3 and gradually move DJ to more of a receiver which right now is what he does best.

He hasn’t done very much of it since 2016. Not much demand for a guy like him in the NFL. Bidwill needs to figure out what to do with him quick. Edmonds and Drake have lit it Up with DJ off the field. This offense opens up holes for backs. If David Johnson can’t bust out with Kyler Murray at QB, does he really have anything left in the tank?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was just one game. Let's pause and see how Drake does from here. He really had a fantastic game, though

I get that, to me this just has a different feel to it than Chase's 1 game performance as the bell cow. He's a bigger, more physical back with better durability.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
David wasn’t even with the team tonight... I know he has a family but cmon man, your team is hurting without you. I think drake/Edmonds could be the future. Maybe find a trade for DJ. Question is, do we eat the cap hit if he is traded? Wouldn’t make sense to move David being how much he’s paid.
Wrong
He was there on the sideline

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn’t done very much of it since 2016. Not much demand for a guy like him in the NFL. Bidwill needs to figure out what to do with him quick. Edmonds and Drake have lit it Up with DJ off the field. This offense opens up holes for backs. If David Johnson can’t bust out with Kyler Murray at QB, does he really have anything left in the tank?

You can't trade him he makes too much money. he's a sunk cost so IMO you use him in the things he does best, catch the ball, and he's still pretty good in short yardage near the goalline because of his size.

The thing that Drake does better than Edmonds is catching the ball, he runs better routes and has better hands. You could see the impact on the passing game not having DJ in there to throw to. I feel quite good with Drake and Edmonds running the ball, DJ catching it and getting short yards. Is he massively overpaid to do that, yes, but you can't trade him

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that, to me this just has a different feel to it than Chase's 1 game performance as the bell cow. He's a bigger, more physical back with better durability.

I think that's a reach, he's never been a primary guy anywhere in college or the NFL. Durability is hard to judge. He had 233 carries in FOUR years at Alabama! 333 in 54 games in the NFL before tonight.

But he's got some talent, he catches the ball well so he's a good fit for the offense. Him and Chase running the ball look like they could be a nice combo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You keep all 3 and gradually move DJ to more of a receiver which right now is what he does best.
Has to be h-back for dj. He doesn’t have the speed to play wideout. Need him matched up against linebackers and safeties to be effective.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You can't trade him he makes too much money. he's a sunk cost so IMO you use him in the things he does best, catch the ball, and he's still pretty good in short yardage near the goalline because of his size.

The thing that Drake does better than Edmonds is catching the ball, he runs better routes and has better hands. You could see the impact on the passing game not having DJ in there to throw to. I feel quite good with Drake and Edmonds running the ball, DJ catching it and getting short yards. Is he massively overpaid to do that, yes, but you can't trade him

I get it. Just frustrating. And it has to be an issue in the locker room. Or at least it will be

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No one is trading for DJ with that cap hit. No one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to be h-back for dj. He doesn’t have the speed to play wideout. Need him matched up against linebackers and safeties to be effective.

Yeah I don't mean literally make him a WR just use his pass catching skills. We can play him with either Drake or Edmonds because he can catch the ball and run. H back like you say.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw he’s cheap. Just keep all three.

Exactly we just played a team that has 3 RB's and as Aikman said the guy who is supposed to be the starter, McKinnon, has been hurt the last 2 years. There's advantages to having 3 good RB's. The problem we have is DJ's contract, the Niners have 3 good rb's all on good to very good contracts.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson