Murray can’t keep running backwards every time

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably has never had to step up in a pocket in his limited playing career. That crap does not work in the NFL.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the lack of true PT in college part of his game. It's coachable but you have to start seeing improvements. You need that footwork to keep sliding up in the pocket while in a position to throw the ball, what he does is tuck and start running backwards.
That's the one issue with him that I have any concern with, his dad is a former QB and current QB coach you'd think footwork and fundamentals would be his strong point.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That is the lack of true PT in college part of his game. It's coachable but you have to start seeing improvements. You need that footwork to keep sliding up in the pocket while in a position to throw the ball, what he does is tuck and start running backwards.
That's the one issue with him that I have any concern with, his dad is a former QB and current QB coach you'd think footwork and fundamentals would be his strong point.

I don’t think that’s going to be him. He reminds me of Rodgers/Mahomes in even when he’s clean he uses different arm angles and looks unbalanced on throws. Not terrible company to be in though ha.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s going to be him. He reminds me of Rodgers/Mahomes in even when he’s clean he uses different arm angles and looks unbalanced on throws. Not terrible company to be in though ha.
The major difference to me is those guys are much better throwers on the run. Kyler seems to not throw off of a 1 foot like those guys when need be. I know we had the 1 TD pass, but when he scrambles I automatically assume its a run or throw away.

Wrs need to do a better job of doing the scramble drill.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The major difference to me is those guys are much better throwers on the run. Kyler seems to not throw off of a 1 foot like those guys when need be. I know we had the 1 TD pass, but when he scrambles I automatically assume its a run or throw away.

Wrs need to do a better job of doing the scramble drill.
Seems like we never have WR's come back to the ball when KM scrambles. I watch other teams WR's do it all the time, especially Seattle which makes me sick.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like we never have WR's come back to the ball when KM scrambles. I watch other teams WR's do it all the time, especially Seattle which makes me sick.
Yep. Seems like the play is dead on the outside. Just hoping Kyler can pick up yards.

You would think some guys would free up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Seems like the play is dead on the outside. Just hoping Kyler can pick up yards.

You would think some guys would free up.

I actually wonder if that's the design, if the Wr's come back it's harder for him to run so they want the Wr's to run deeper to try and give him room to run?

There were a couple last night where he was 1 step from turning the corner and going but he ran out of room and threw the ball away.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Time to install the “scramble drill” to the play book. SF used it most of the with Jeff Garcia at QB. Mooch was the coach at the time.
Maybe pick Moochs brain during the off season?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He gets pressured.... he is regressing every week..... he never steps up in the pocket
The times he ran backward and got sacked, he should have went down, not stepped up. It was a jailbreak. There was nowhere to step up.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant see that and it very well could be possible, I just remember from last night I felt like one or two of those there was nowhere to go at all.
Agreed, but he needs to see those "jailbreaks" coming and minimize the damage. Go down or dump the ball. Those 18 yard losses are killers. Loss of down and yardage. Watch the good ones. It never happens. Learning curve to break bad habits.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I actually wonder if that's the design, if the Wr's come back it's harder for him to run so they want the Wr's to run deeper to try and give him room to run?

There were a couple last night where he was 1 step from turning the corner and going but he ran out of room and threw the ball away.

Murray would get way more out of his running ability if he ran a little harder and avoided hits a little less. There was one run he had where he could have taken the corner, but instead he only got a short gain because he was trying to avoid a hit.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but he needs to see those "jailbreaks" coming and minimize the damage. Go down or dump the ball. Those 18 yard losses are killers. Loss of down and yardage. Watch the good ones. It never happens. Learning curve to break bad habits.
you know, isnt it nice that the main things we have to dislike about his game are so easily correctable? Kid is impressive.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My question is, why weren't there more QB run plays in the first half. He torched them everytime he ran it in the second half.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray would get way more out of his running ability if he ran a little harder and avoided hits a little less. There was one run he had where he could have taken the corner, but instead he only got a short gain because he was trying to avoid a hit.

I see that too I don't know if that's him or if was told don't take big hits, but yeah there's been a few. He had anotehr sitdown last night that may be the one you mean I thought for sure he could get 2-3 more yards on that but he did the sitdown to avoid the hit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose