The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Sixers are the jewel of the Eastern Conference. There was no way that the NBA was going to do anything substantial against them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointed, not surprised. This is Adam Silver's NBA and he is all about not making waves (when he can). He's had to make some tough calls and I agree with most of them but I hate the fact that he has undone what little Stern did to try and protect the referees, improve the officiating and clean up the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It never made sense to me this is how Igor wanted the Suns to spend all their free agent money. I've always wondered if someone prompted him to say that or he really felt that way.

Since Ariza and Igor are with the Kings maybe he really did feel that way. If true, that's another reason why he's gone.

I don't think he said anything about the money involved. He was probably asked who he'd like them to sign or go after and he gave them a list or chose certain players from a list. I doubt anyone other than McD would have said spending all of the cap space we had on Ariza was a good idea, even if he worked out. That was a real head scratcher at the time and looked even worse when the season started.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm most surprised that KAT and Embiid received the same penalty. I don't understand that.

I'm shocked the Suns might benefit from it though with Embiid out for the game against the Suns coming up. I'm surprised Silver didn't make it 1 game now and 1 after the Suns game, 2 after the Suns game if he can't lead them to victory.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he said anything about the money involved. He was probably asked who he'd like them to sign or go after and he gave them a list or chose certain players from a list. I doubt anyone other than McD would have said spending all of the cap space we had on Ariza was a good idea, even if he worked out. That was a real head scratcher at the time and looked even worse when the season started.

No Igor didn't mention the money aspect but even the fans know there is only so much money to spend in free agency. I would think McDonough reviewed the options with him.

It is still a head scratcher.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No Igor didn't mention the money aspect but even the fans know there is only so much money to spend in free agency. I would think McDonough reviewed the options with him.

It is still a head scratcher.

I still think Ariza was overpaid. It helped set his salary this year as well, IMO. He's a MLE type of player, maybe a little more. If we signed him for $10 million last year then I doubt fans would have been that upset with the signing but we literally spent all we had on him. Credit to his agent because that was the most he ever made in a season before, he wasn't even making half of that in the season prior to the Suns backing up the Brinks truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Ariza was overpaid. It helped set his salary this year as well, IMO. He's a MLE type of player, maybe a little more. If we signed him for $10 million last year then I doubt fans would have been that upset with the signing but we literally spent all we had on him. Credit to his agent because that was the most he ever made in a season before, he wasn't even making half of that in the season prior to the Suns backing up the Brinks truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm glad that chapter is closed.

The one good thing is that the Ariza trade landed us Kelly Oubre.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious the Suns signed him to trade him. He was never going to be with the team long term.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite arguing a lot with @Phrazbit just wanted to say I’ve never gave up on this kid.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

lol, we'll see, he is off to a nice start.

I've said before, he reminds me of Beasley. He can rack up points on volume shooting and does absolutely nothing else in any aspect of the game. Granted, he isn't also a complete idiot, like Beasley was, so maybe he is growing as a player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
lol, we'll see, he is off to a nice start.

I've said before, he reminds me of Beasley. He can rack up points on volume shooting and does absolutely nothing else in any aspect of the game. Granted, he isn't also a complete idiot, like Beasley was, so maybe he is growing as a player.
I would imagine that players that can "only score" don't tend to have many 5 game stretches averaging 27/10/5.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would imagine that players that can "only score" don't tend to have many 5 game stretches averaging 27/10/5.
My comments are based on his previous history... which was rather awful. If he maintains these numbers then it is a different story.

He may have turned the corner this year... he also may be the only aggressive offensive player on an awful team. Time will tell.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It never made sense to me this is how Igor wanted the Suns to spend all their free agent money. I've always wondered if someone prompted him to say that or he really felt that way.

Since Ariza and Igor are with the Kings maybe he really did feel that way. If true, that's another reason why he's gone.
They had just finished (or still were, at the time of the interview?) playing the Rockets in a series dominated by the Rockets' defense. Ariza was their solid 3 and D guy, other than PJ. I think something is lost in translation when folks (on here) keep saying that he wanted Trevor Ariza the player. I mean, they go out and get a 3 and D player in the first round that same draft.
In either case, it wasn't a trade. Ariza made the choice to play for the Suns. The fact that he collected the money and then was a shell of his Rockets' self is on him, personally. On his character.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hard to believe he’s shooting 21% from the field...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

A few asked leading up to the season and not sure if this has been out there yet. Notable official measurements for the Suns include... Deandre Ayton: 6-11, 250 Devin Booker: 6-5, 210 Mikal Bridges: 6-6, 210

4:12 PM - 1 Nov 2019

I'm thinking @Hoop Head was one of those that asked.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richaun Holmes starts for the Kings again. He may have found a home. Wish the Suns could have kept him somehow.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kellan Olson posted a link for actual measurement for all NBA players. Yay.

I need to bookmark this.

https://cdn.nba.net/nba-drupal-prod/NBA-Roster-Survey-2019-20.pdf

At a team average of 211 pounds, the Suns are the lightest team in the league.

I expected it to be different.

Our current starting 5 averages even less, 209.2.

Baynes.........260
Saric............216
Oubre..........203
Booker........206
Rubio..........190

The key difference is Saric's 216 at PF.

If our Power Forward weighed 235, the average
would jump to 218.8 versus our 209.2, a big
difference.

If it were Ayton's 250 (with Baynes in the lineup),
it would jump to 221.8.

Those are the numbers.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
First time watching the Mavs. They do look good. Suns, Mavs and Nuggets are the future of the West. I hope :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a team average of 211 pounds, the Suns are the lightest team in the league.

I expected it to be different.

Our current starting 5 averages even less, 209.2.

Baynes.........260
Saric............216
Oubre..........203
Booker........206
Rubio..........190

The key difference is Saric's 216 at PF.

If our Power Forward weighed 235, the average
would jump to 218.8 versus our 209.2, a big
difference.

If it were Ayton's 250 (with Baynes in the lineup),
it would jump to 221.8.

Those are the numbers.

It's interesting I suppose.

In regard to height, Oubre is again listed at 6'7". Earlier he was reported at 6'6" as a new measurement.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That list becomes fishy to me when it tries to tell me that Ayton is only 1" taller than Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BC867

Looking at the survey a few minor changes:

Saric is 6' 10" and weighs 225 pounds

Oubre is 6' 7" and weighs 205

Baynes is 6' 10" and weighs 260