Niners at Cardinals gameday thread 10-31-19

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it is what it is. As I thought we should have done last week I think we got to play action on early downs and stretch the field early in the game. I’d also play two te’s Most of the game with one setting up in the middle for quick dump passes.

We cannot let this defense simply have target practice on Kyler. He has to get the ball out of his hands in 2.25 seconds. Play action early going deep. Maybe we can hit a big play or two. If we are to win this game it will be a low scoring game. We win 16-10 or lose 34-13
Two contrasting game plans (neither of which may work):

1. Clean out the playbook and gamble on every play.

2. Play close to the vest, make no miscues and try to steal a low-scoring win.

I sorta like Door #1.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that stat counts for is that Shanahan will not take his foot off the gas pedal. They'll beat us by 50 if they can. We can't turn the ball over.

Yeah. Somehow the Cardinals offense needs to do it's job to keep the defense off the field as much as possible. The defense has it's problems to say the least.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the Saints’ OLine is a lot better than the 49ers’. I agree with the rest of this though.

A lot better?? The 9ers are the top rushing team in the NFL. And Jimmy G routinely sets up camp each time he drops back.
Both of the 9ers lines are at a level this team has yet to see.
Murray will need ALL of his speed and instincts to not get crushed on a routine basis in this game. And if the Saints and Latavius Murray were able to run the ball down our throat, the 9ers should easily be able to as well.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
I'd be happy with putting the ball in the enzone at least twice tonight. Win or lose

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals defensive front 7 has shown that they struggle with gap integrity. This will allow the Niners to sustain long time consuming drives.

When the Niners are on defense they will try and contain Murray. As long as the Niners front 4 doesn't get all glory hungry and shuts down the escape lanes for Murray, the Cardinals offense will sputter.

The Cardinals will give up over 150 yards rushing and the Cardinals offense will have less than 200 total yards.

The score will look closer than the game actually was.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Please don't get embarrassed on National TV Tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Seattle49er

Reaction score
Very true, but the really lopsided differentials had more to do with turnovers. We've done a very good job of protecting the ball. If we turn it over, we'll get killed. If we don't, we can hang. Also, with the exception of the Cincy game, the really lopsided wins were home games.

Bucs 14 road game
Bengals 24 road game
Rams 13 road game
Skins 9 road game

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bucs 14 road game
Bengals 24 road game
Rams 13 road game
Skins 9 road game

Did I not specify that the only road rout was Cincy?? I don't consider 14, 13, and 9 routs. I'd be quite thrilled if we stayed within 2 scores tonight. It's the 31-3 (Cleveland) and 51-13 (Panthers) scores that I'd rather NOT see.

Reaction score
There's no doubt that SF has a dominant running game, that generally tips the time of possession heavily in their favor. But, other than the Cincy game, their easy wins have come because they have forced 3-4 turnovers.

Game 1 - @ Tampa Bay 31-17. Tampa actually outgained them 295-256 & held SF to 98 on the ground. TOP was 30-30. The turning point was that Tampa had 4 turnovers.

Game 2 - @ Cincy 41-17. Complete domination in this one. Cincy had only 1 turnover, but outgained 571-316. SF had 259 on the ground. TOP was SF 32-28.

Game 3 - vs Pitt 24-20. Game was only close because SF had 5 turnovers of their own. But, this was Big Ben's 1st full game OUT & Rudolph couldn't take advantage of the SF miscues. SF ran for 168 & outgained Pitt 436-239 and controlled the clock 36-24. With a healthy Big Ben, Pittsburgh wins this game. But Pittsburgh did have 2 turnovers, both of which resulted in SF points.

Game 4 - vs Cleveland 31-3. Niners rushed for 275 and dominated TOP 38-22. But, again, Cleveland's 4 turnovers were the reason for the lopsided score.

Game 5 - @LAR 20-7. Niners only rushed for 98, but their D stifled the Rams offense completely. No Todd Gurley in this one & Rams failed to score after having a 1st & goal on the SF 1. Rams only had 1 turnover, and this game was close.

Game 6 - @ Wash 9-0. Played in a monsoon, so hard to assess anything.

Game 7 - vs Carolina 51-13. Niners no doubt played with a chip on their shoulders in this one. Rushed for 232 yards, but only had 388 in total yardage. Even though SF ran for 232, they only had a 33-27 advantage in TOP. SF's pass rush forced 7 sacks & hurried Allen into 3 turnovers. The TO's are what turned this game ugly.

My point is that if we protect the ball, this won't be as ugly as it appears to be on paper. Murray will evade much of their pressure, but not all of it. He just has to throw it away at times & use his legs at other times. He can't get picked. It certainly doesn't appear that we'll have much success running the ball, but we have to take what we can on the ground. Our D has to keep SF under 150 on the ground & pressure Garropolo into a mistake or two. KK will need to plug his brain in & surprise the Niner D to set up scoring opportunities. I'm not stupid enough to predict a win, but if we can avoid turnovers, we can stay in this game.

So what you are saying is that they are good at forcing turnovers. Got it.

I just hope our D plays m2m more instead of soft zone bs.

Seattle49er

Reaction score
Did I not specify that the only road rout was Cincy?? I don't consider 14, 13, and 9 routs. I'd be quite thrilled if we stayed within 2 scores tonight. It's the 31-3 (Cleveland) and 51-13 (Panthers) scores that I'd rather NOT see.

Well to be honest you said "lopsided", to me, more than 2 scores is lopsided. 9 against skins was a shut out.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Twitter rumor- Pugh at RT and Cole @ LG tonight, anyone see anything about that?