4th and 1???

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think this decision was as bad as it looked. Like Russ said, the defense has been gassed and needed time to recover. Going in 5/5 on 4th down before that one probably gave KK some confidence.

This wasn't a game where field position was key. Sometimes, the only way to keep Brees in check is to keep him off of the field. IMO the play call itself was worse than deciding to go for it.

(for the record, during the game I said he should punt, and Linder said 'GO FOR IT!')

this was early in the 3rd quarter. The defense had played 6 downs coming out of halftime. They shouldn’t have been gassed at that point. It was a stupid call.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Imo it was kk’s worst decision of the season and has severely shaken my dwindling confidence in him.

Some on the board argue that the dam was about to break. And they are likely right. But the reality is, it hadn’t yet. But kk’s decision either broke it or at a minimum hastened it prematurely. And when playing a superior opponent your best strategy is to keep the game ugly, muddy. And to keep it thus for as long as possible with the hope a lucky bounce or a broken play can lead to stealing a w. Kk’s decision was the antithesis of that philosophy.

And this wasn’t a scenario where:

A. We had been successful finning the ball all game;

B. We had any momentum that had rhythm;

C. Or we were in a neutral position in terms of field position, in a game which to that point had been a field position battle.

In these scenarios, including this instance, kk has pointed to analytics as a reason. And while I am a supporter of analytics, it’s folly to rely solely upon that. If a team wants to do so I’m sure artificial intelligence can script an entire game and we don’t need coaches for schemes or play calls. A coach has to take human factors, and feelings, and nuance into account. This was a bad, bad stupid call by kk. Did it lose us the game? Not in and of itself it didn’t. We likely lose to this NO team under these circumstances 17-18 out of 20 times. But it hurt our minimal chances to do so and it makes me question whether kk is learning anything at all at this level.

Ouchie, I couldn't have said it better. I would go so far, depending on how this season shakes out, to say that this is the post of the year. Bout sums up how I feel about this man. I want to like him. I really do, but this type of nonsense.....

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The decision to go for it was absolutely the wrong one, but for all of KK's genius playcalling ability and ingenuity, a run right up the middle of the gut shows zero creativity. You have speed all over the place, and one of the greatest receivers of all time as far as getting to the sticks is concerned, and that's what you come up with? I seriously think I would have been less angry with a triple reverse or a lousy flea flicker if you're going to push your chips to the center that early.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's not really the case. The QB decides where to throw the ball. But I would say ba wouldn't be po'd that the QB threw
it though

It did happen, There were several 3rd and 3 or less, Where we were in max protect, And the 1 or 2 receivers who were running routes, were 10 plus yards downfield.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was early in the 3rd quarter. The defense had played 6 downs coming out of halftime. They shouldn’t have been gassed at that point. It was a stupid call.

Yes, it is true that it was shortly after the half, but the spent 2/3 or more of the first half on the field.

Would I have made the call, probably not. If we get it, score a touchdown and flip the momentum of the game, we would be praising how brave he was to make the call.

The scoreline was very flattering to us at the time. I know it said we were close, but it might as well been a 14 point lead by the Saints. That is how both teams were playing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part about it in my mind was that it completely erased PP21's INT. Instead of stopping the Saints, stalling on offense, and punting it back to them - to make them try and march back down the field - we just paused their original drive and it was like our defense had done nothing at all. SMH.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, it is true that it was shortly after the half, but the spent 2/3 or more of the first half on the field.

Would I have made the call, probably not. If we get it, score a touchdown and flip the momentum of the game, we would be praising how brave he was to make the call.

The scoreline was very flattering to us at the time. I know it said we were close, but it might as well been a 14 point lead by the Saints. That is how both teams were playing.
So your counter arguments are:

if something different happened it would’ve been good.

It wasn’t really 10-6 even though it was 10-6.

got it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

got it.

Rolleyes.

My counter argument is that hindsight is 20/20. I'm not the only one here that thinks that the call wasn't that bad.

Got it now?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

got it.

For the very reason you previously outlined, it was a bad decision. Keep the game in the muck and hope for the best.

Where you and I differ, even though the score said 10-6 it didn't feel that close and I believe the Cards had already exhausted the legitimate good bounces they would get (missed FG, missed points at end of half for NO).

It was still a decision Kliff would have made against University of Kansas and should have never considered in that particular NFL game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rolleyes.

My counter argument is that hindsight is 20/20. I'm not the only one here that thinks that the call wasn't that bad.

Got it now?
It’s only hindsight to those of you who liked the decision at the time. For those of us hollering about it before it happened it’s called football IQ. And I think we’ve had this exact same discussion about what constitutes hindsight in the past . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the very reason you previously outlined, it was a bad decision. Keep the game in the muck and hope for the best.

Where you and I differ, even though the score said 10-6 it didn't feel that close and I believe the Cards had already exhausted the legitimate good bounces they would get (missed FG, missed points at end of half for NO).

It was still a decision Kliff would have made against University of Kansas and should have never considered in that particular NFL game.
Regardless of how it felt, the actual facts were that the cards were within a score with less than half a game to play. Kk was a fool to ignore that fact.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s only hindsight to those of you who liked the decision at the time. For those of us hollering about it before it happened it’s called football IQ. And I think we’ve had this exact same discussion about what constitutes hindsight in the past . . .

Again, I DIDN'T like the decision at the time. At least I can understand why he did it.

We probably did have a discussion on hindsight. You probably were on the same side of it as well.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's never a good idea to go on 4th down on your own 30, unless it's late in the game & you absolutely have to. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because like his team, KK has a ways to go if he wants to be a successful NFL HC.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bush league gamble that was totally unnecessary. Hopefully KK has learned a valuable lesson with this bogus decision.

:bang:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the risk but the play called was terrible. The Oline was not run blocking that well and they call a running play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson