Terminator: Dark Fate

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have come out and said that this is basically T3 and you can throw all those other movies out.

I read that as well but even as dumb as I think that is they don't have to toss everything. Changing the timeline fits within the franchise narrative you can alter the timeline. That concept stays in tact if they simply say the timeline changed and this is now the new chapter in a changed timeline.

Assuming they just ignore everything though I can't help but think there is some major misdirection in this trailer. First you have to assume that either John plays a big role not yet revealed or that Skynet no longer feels going after John is the best way to change the future. Maybe the new girls offspring interacts with John in the future in some meaningful way? Maybe they just can't find John Conner and have to target him in another way.

Also, Arnold's character can't be the same terminator because he was melted down at the end of T2. Plus he is visibly older (again established in previous movies Terminators are built to age on the outside to blend in).

The possibilities are that he is another terminator of the same model turned like in the previous films and can age like established in the previous films or he is something else.

Again, assuming they throw everything out, maybe he is the person they modeled the Terminator after and his character his human. Would Cameron do that to audiences? Does anybody want to see a human version of his character? If he is another Terminator than they pretty much kept that concept from the last movie intact.

Soooo many questions but I have a feeling this trailer was intentionally misleading and the reason you don't see more Arnold is to not give something away. That goes with not showing John as well.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I read that as well but even as dumb as I think that is they don't have to toss everything. Changing the timeline fits within the franchise narrative you can alter the timeline. That concept stays in tact if they simply say the timeline changed and this is now the new chapter in a changed timeline.

Assuming they just ignore everything though I can't help but think there is some major misdirection in this trailer. First you have to assume that either John plays a big role not yet revealed or that Skynet no longer feels going after John is the best way to change the future. Maybe the new girls offspring interacts with John in the future in some meaningful way? Maybe they just can't find John Conner and have to target him in another way.

Also, Arnold's character can't be the same terminator because he was melted down at the end of T2. Plus he is visibly older (again established in previous movies Terminators are built to age on the outside to blend in).

The possibilities are that he is another terminator of the same model turned like in the previous films and can age like established in the previous films or he is something else.

Again, assuming they throw everything out, maybe he is the person they modeled the Terminator after and his character his human. Would Cameron do that to audiences? Does anybody want to see a human version of his character? If he is another Terminator than they pretty much kept that concept from the last movie intact.

Soooo many questions but I have a feeling this trailer was intentionally misleading and the reason you don't see more Arnold is to not give something away. That goes with not showing John as well.
This trailer is totally misleading, no argument there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sucks, they just cancelled the premiere because of the fires. Special screening at the arclight Hollywood tomorrow though... :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
how was the movie Chap?
They cancelled it last night. I'm going to a "special screening" tonight at Arclight Hollywood. I'm crossing my fingers for the Dome, but I doubt they were able to get it with such short notice.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They cancelled it last night. I'm going to a "special screening" tonight at Arclight Hollywood. I'm crossing my fingers for the Dome, but I doubt they were able to get it with such short notice.

oh that's tonight. i'll cross my fingers for ya too. only two theaters I love in LA more than the Dome... Chinese and Fox in Westwood.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey what are your thoughts on El Capitan Theatre? I have been to Chinese and the Dome but not this one. I will be in Cali the week of Star Wars release and might have a chance to go see it there or just wait until I get back to AZ. Not sure yet but wanted to know if anybody has thoughts on that Theater. Probably the only one in the area I have not been to.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey what are your thoughts on El Capitan Theatre? I have been to Chinese and the Dome but not this one. I will be in Cali the week of Star Wars release and might have a chance to go see it there or just wait until I get back to AZ. Not sure yet but wanted to know if anybody has thoughts on that Theater. Probably the only one in the area I have not been to.
I like the El Cap, but there is virtually no leg room--which can be a dealbreaker for some people. I've been there for 4d presentations of stuff and took my 3 year old to see Toy Story 4 there (he loved it). It's not high-tech by any means, but if you want the movie palace experience, that is a good bet. They have a cool upper balcony and it's pretty old school. They usually have an organist playing Disney songs before the show and always have some sort of interactive stuff going on, whether it's a stage show before the movie or a museum thing. It varies depending on the property.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the El Cap, but there is virtually no leg room--which can be a dealbreaker for some people. I've been there for 4d presentations of stuff and took my 3 year old to see Toy Story 4 there (he loved it). It's not high-tech by any means, but if you want the movie palace experience, that is a good bet. They have a cool upper balcony and it's pretty old school. They usually have an organist playing Disney songs before the show and always have some sort of interactive stuff going on, whether it's a stage show before the movie or a museum thing. It varies depending on the property.

Ahhh. Cool. Thanks for the response. Sounds like a unique place to see a movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Quick first impressions: very entertaining and worth seeing on the biggest screen you can at least once.

And I’ll watch anything with Schwarzenegger in it. That’s all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick first impressions: very entertaining and worth seeing on the biggest screen you can at least once.

And I’ll watch anything with Schwarzenegger in it. That’s all.

A pretty good endorsement I guess. Once I see it will have to look for a more detailed review. Thanks Chap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The movie was extremely entertaining throughout and wastes no time getting into the action. The set pieces get bigger and bigger as the movie goes on.

Linda Hamilton is definitely still a badass, and MacKenzie Davis adds a little something as an augmented human. I thought she could provide many more story opportunities.

The way John Connor is placed in the story is unexpected, but very interesting -- leading to the new character Dani, who I liked as an actress except in one part of the film. The use of the original theme for Terminator was pretty good, if a little rare. I would have liked it to show up more.

And then of course, one of the big questions was about how to explain Arnold's presence in the movie when he was destroyed at the end of T2. They DO explain that and it makes sense.

I thought it was a worthy sequel, but not as good as it's two predecessors.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember to this day, seeing T2 in theaters as a young kid, probably like 9 years old with my grandmother. It was amazing. I need to see this in theaters.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember to this day, seeing T2 in theaters as a young kid, probably like 9 years old with my grandmother. It was amazing. I need to see this in theaters.

I went to see T2 at least 3 to 4 times in the theater.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie took me and my best friend (we were 14 at the time) to Town And Country for the Midnight Movie screening back when the movies actually only played at Midnight the day it was released.

that place was electric. favorite moment of the movie going experience was when the orderly licked Sarah's face and some dude yelled out:

"YOU SLIME!"

Why that was so funny, I have no idea, but it was. T2 was probably my third favorite movie experience ever.

Second best was again with Ouchie when he took me and my cousin to the Midnight premiere of BATMAN back '89. We were 13 and 12 years old, and we went with all of his fraternity brothers in Boston. That place was going crazy too. People had scripts with them, we waited on looooong lines to get in. Best theater moment for that one was towards the end when the Bat-wing soared into the air, through the clouds and hung PERFECTLY in the center of the moon. In that moment, the crowd ERUPTED with cheers and screams. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I remember getting back from that movie and my cousin and I just obsessed over it like the biggest nerds that ever nerded for hours.

But easily, my favorite movie theater experience has to be what I now realize is my first truly clear movie theater experience. I was 7 years old and somehow Ouchie (again) and Brother Not Ouchie convinced my parents to let them take me to see Risky Business... And the funny thing there was they first wanted to see Vacation, but my parents heard Christie Brinkley was kind of naked in a pool in that movie so, that was a no go... instead, they took the 7 year old to see the movie about a Tom Cruise becoming a High School Pimp with the hottest sex scenes legit movies had seen to that point.

We saw it at the Orpheum in Chicago and it was this INCREDIBLE massive old school theater with a huge balcony. We got there late and ended up sitting in the upper deck and the theater was so packed that we had to sit in the freaking aisles. Ouch did his best to hold his hand over my eyes for all the sex scenes.

I remember watching through his fingers and the more than anything, the moment during the party where Tom Cruise is interviewing with the Princeton admissions guy at the big party at the end. The interview ends and Cruise walks out and is asked how it went. When he answered: "Looks like it's gonna be University Of Illinois" that crowd blew the freaking roof off that place. Incredible movie experience.

Once we got back to our parents, they asked me how it was? my response:

"It was the best movie I never saw!"

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that with Aliens at the IMAX

That was another one. Back at that time my uncle was around a ton, he loved movies, he used to take me and my younger brother all the time. Those were two of my favorite experiences at the theater. I didn't see a ton of movies multiple times when I was a kid. However, when my uncle and brothers went to see those two movies it was a rare exception.

The only experience that tops everything was seeing a premier of Empire Strikes Back at the old Cine Capri theater. They had all of these wax figures of the characters that were behind glass that you could view as you were entering the theater. It was awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose