Haason Reddick

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
LOL.

Blake Martinez got a lot of tackles the last 2 years — for defenses that finished 22nd and 26th in scoring. He sucks.
Joe Schobert went to the Pro Bowl in a season where the Browns won 0 games and were the 31st-ranked defense in the NFL. Yes, he sucks.

Devondre Campbell plays for perhaps the worst defense in the NFL. Did you notice him at all when we played him just two weeks ago? He had 8 solo tackles. He allowed a 136.1 passer rating the 6 times he was targeted(!!!!!) Here were the results of each tackle:

My math tells me that if De'Vondre Campbell was involved in a tackle, it's likely to have given up about 9 yards. You're not going to win a lot of football games like that.
That breakdown explains the idiocy of relying on # of tackles in support of a players effectiveness better than any I’ve ever seen. Well done k9. 5 outta 9 of those tackles resulted in first downs and 3 others went for no less than 6 yards. Number of tackles a relatively empty stat by itself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Budda Baker hasn't intercepted a pass in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker has 9 PDs in 2.5 years, and only 2 of those have happened in the last 1.5 years.

Budda Baker has 4 FFs, 3 FRs and 3 sacks in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker is not a playmaker. Sometimes I think that his reputation is skewed because he has a cool name and handsprings himself off the ground.
You beat me to it.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Joseph freaking Walker in for our former 1st round draft pick.

We have officially hit rock bottom at LB.

I never thought I would look back wistfully on the tenure of Josh Bynes as a Cardinal, but by god, there it is.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joseph freaking Walker in for our former 1st round draft pick.

We have officially hit rock bottom at LB.

I never thought I would look back wistfully on the tenure of Josh Bynes as a Cardinal, but by god, there it is.
Bynes was a serviceable player
Was cheap also
Another questionable decision by the FO

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I never want to see another Temple player again... because I am sick and tired of being Cardinal 'tough' having to watch them lol

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know post draft they were talking about how Reddick + Baker were both in their top 15 or something, and that was the first time that happened since Fitz + Dansby

given the quality of that draft through the bottom of the first round -- how is that possible?

That is the trade-off Gambo makes to be an "insider" for local teams. Gambo needs to lie (market teams talking points) on a team's behalf to get some "insider" info thrown at. Gambo is an entertainer not a reporter or journalist to have standards.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like we have this discussion all too often. Number of tackles means squat. If a LB is making those tackles 5 yards down field it’s a loss. If a safety leads the league in tackles it’s likely an indictment of your defense overall. Please try to find stats that actually matter.

And I actually like hicks. He’s no Karlos Dansby (I allowed my optimism to run wild there) but he’s an above average-to-good player.

welp no arguing with stupid. lets just completely ignore the data I showed that PROVES that there is a correlation between # of tackles and defensive talent. that list speaks for itself. Its loaded with talent and those are all FAR ABOVE AVERAGE NFL DEFENDERS.

please go down that top list of tacklers and explain to me how each one of those guys sucks. their PFF rankings would be awesome if anyone has access

someone should tell our Cardinals that tackles 5 yards downfield dont matter since that is a loss, just let him walk free to the endzone

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL.

Blake Martinez got a lot of tackles the last 2 years — for defenses that finished 22nd and 26th in scoring. He sucks.
Joe Schobert went to the Pro Bowl in a season where the Browns won 0 games and were the 31st-ranked defense in the NFL. Yes, he sucks.

Devondre Campbell plays for perhaps the worst defense in the NFL. Did you notice him at all when we played him just two weeks ago? He had 8 solo tackles. He allowed a 136.1 passer rating the 6 times he was targeted(!!!!!) Here were the results of each tackle:

My math tells me that if De'Vondre Campbell was involved in a tackle, it's likely to have given up about 9 yards. You're not going to win a lot of football games like that.
Well that was fun. Do everyone else on the list and show me how much they suck!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welp no arguing with stupid. lets just completely ignore the data I showed that PROVES that there is a correlation between # of tackles and defensive talent. that list speaks for itself. Its loaded with talent and those are all FAR ABOVE AVERAGE NFL DEFENDERS.

please go down that top list of tacklers and explain to me how each one of those guys sucks. their PFF rankings would be awesome if anyone has access

someone should tell our Cardinals that tackles 5 yards downfield dont matter since that is a loss, just let him walk free to the endzone

It's not that we don't get tackling the guy so he doesn't score has value, we get that. The thing is good players don't get the bulk of their tackles downfield. This is a VERY old debate on this board or previous iterations. I remember this exact debate about Ron McKinnon and he hasn't been in the NFL since 2005.

Tackles without context is just as misleading as a guy scoring 25PPG on a bad NBA team. You might think he's a great player stuck on a bad team, and he might be. Or it might be that NBA games are 48 minutes long so the team is probably going to score 100 points and if you start, and shoot enough, you might score 25 PPG and have very little actual impact.

Reddick has improved I'll give him that but he's just not very good. If we're playing him out of position fine but so far he hasn't been very good at any position we tried him at. Watch the replays on the run plays we'll probably see it again tomorrow night, over and over you'll see him step left and then have to reverse and go right, you'll see him attack the wrong gap and take himself out of the play.he is making some plays now, we've seen pressure, tackles for loss, some breakups but he just doesn't have the instincts to play ILB in the NFL.

I genuinely think if he'd been a 4th rounder he'd probably have been tried at TE or FB by now he's a good athlete without a position.

Budda as a rookie was a terrific ST guy and he made some pop plays a S and I think we all sort of expected him to take over for Honey Badger, who was always injured, and do extremely well. Instead we've seen tons of examples of him getting completely lost in coverage, another huge one against the Saints. We've seen him slow to react to balls in the air, and we've seen that he's a guy that needs to be playing close to the LOS, which isn't what the team wanted him to do this year.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not that we don't get tackling the guy so he doesn't score has value, we get that. The thing is good players don't get the bulk of their tackles downfield. This is a VERY old debate on this board or previous iterations. I remember this exact debate about Ron McKinnon and he hasn't been in the NFL since 2005.

Tackles without context is just as misleading as a guy scoring 25PPG on a bad NBA team. You might think he's a great player stuck on a bad team, and he might be. Or it might be that NBA games are 48 minutes long so the team is probably going to score 100 points and if you start, and shoot enough, you might score 25 PPG and have very little actual impact.

Reddick has improved I'll give him that but he's just not very good. If we're playing him out of position fine but so far he hasn't been very good at any position we tried him at. Watch the replays on the run plays we'll probably see it again tomorrow night, over and over you'll see him step left and then have to reverse and go right, you'll see him attack the wrong gap and take himself out of the play.he is making some plays now, we've seen pressure, tackles for loss, some breakups but he just doesn't have the instincts to play ILB in the NFL.

I genuinely think if he'd been a 4th rounder he'd probably have been tried at TE or FB by now he's a good athlete without a position.

Budda as a rookie was a terrific ST guy and he made some pop plays a S and I think we all sort of expected him to take over for Honey Badger, who was always injured, and do extremely well. Instead we've seen tons of examples of him getting completely lost in coverage, another huge one against the Saints. We've seen him slow to react to balls in the air, and we've seen that he's a guy that needs to be playing close to the LOS, which isn't what the team wanted him to do this year.

didnt know this has been rehashed over and over here.

consider me firmly in the "tackles matter" camp.

oh, and the "you dont let Budda walk" camp

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
didnt know this has been rehashed over and over here.

consider me firmly in the "tackles matter" camp.

oh, and the "you dont let Budda walk" camp

Baker is a replacement level player, an average NFL safety. He makes the plays he should, his tackles are no more than what is expected of a starting NFL safety but doesn't make enough impact plays that push to anything more than average. He should have a ton of tackles, he plays as many snaps as anyone on the Cardinals defense has the past 2 years, 84% last season and 100% this season--right now his best trait is his availability.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Budda Baker hasn't intercepted a pass in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker has 9 PDs in 2.5 years, and only 2 of those have happened in the last 1.5 years.

Budda Baker has 4 FFs, 3 FRs and 3 sacks in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker is not a playmaker. Sometimes I think that his reputation is skewed because he has a cool name and handsprings himself off the ground.
It’s because he was a playmaker in college. I’ll admit he fooled me. I was waiting for a slightly less dynamic honey badger in his prime. With that said, he’s very solid and is a phenomenal open field tackler.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if all of the above is true Ronald McKinnon should have been a HOFer.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's one thing to have LB's and Safety's playing out of position because your squad is a M.A.S.H unit..
But we do it year after year after fricking year because Keim is an idiot who can't identify talent.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I disagree with the assertion that Reddick is being played "out of position." He's 235 lbs! He's too light to play OLB. Von Miller plays 15 lbs heavier.

Many scouting reports suggested that Reddick's NFL future is as an off-ball linebacker. He could have been more useful as a Daryl Washington-type guy who was an A-gap blitzer and run-and-chase tackler. But the coaching staff that helped scout and draft him left after his rookie season. :shrug:

As a traditional off-ball linebacker, he doesn't have any instincts and can't make plays unless specifically directed where to go. He's, unfortunately, not really good enough to be a guy that the defensive coordinator is going to scheme around.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was a complete whiff by Keim and that is part of the reason why our defense sucks. Niners have a competent GM and he's made solid choices with high-end 1st round picks. Keim on the other hand...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It was a complete whiff by Keim and that is part of the reason why our defense sucks. Niners have a competent GM and he's made solid choices with high-end 1st round picks. Keim on the other hand...

Turns out we should have drafted TJ Watt, but Reddick was drafted 13th overall, and it's not clear who in the range behind him would have worked out much better. It's interesting to think about if Baker was the 1st rounder and Reddick was the second rounder how our opinions would change.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Random thoughts -

- Is it that Reddick and Budda suck regardless of where they play or how they're used? Or can they be salvaged via creative scheming that gets the most out of their strengths?

- I get it - a lot of folks want Keim gone. But the commentary is getting old. Hey mods - can you please set up a special Keim Sucks thread, so that every freaking thread doesn't turn into a "Fire Keim" slugfest?

- Are there enough unsigned FA's out there who could plug the necessary holes in our defense? Or will we have to wait for the next offseason?

- I agree with those who feel we're outmatched with too-slow corners and safeties too small and/or too slow to cover TE's.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Niners have a competent GM and he's made solid choices with high-end 1st round picks.

Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster disagree

not a defense of Keim

but the past four seasons, 49ers avg 4.25 wins --

thats four offseasons of drafting in the top 10. I would hope their roster improved.

I suspect Lynch is like Keim: a replacement level GM who owes success as much to the random luck inherent in the draft as drafting acumen.

Like Keim, he papers over the draft misses by paying up on FA / trades.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it sounds like we disagree quite a bit. IMO, a defense has three or four players you build around and the rest are complementary pieces. Baker is a complementary piece. Hicks is, too. Neither of those guys are cornerstones to a good defense.
Budda is a reactionary safety. He will make some plays..but in general he is a step too slow imo. Hey, he has a lot in common with our gm!. :)

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry this is late, but I just read all of the comments on Budda Baker and I have to say that I believe that he’s too small to play SS and that he has to play FS so he doesn’t get injured or bodied by tight ends

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster disagree
In defense of Lynch /49ers.

Foster was a gamble. Maybe Saban gave bum info, but he was a problem at Bama and the combine. Lesson learned.

" The man who drafted Thomas, newly appointed 49ers general manager John Lynch, had, by chance, studied alongside Thomas as a mature student while working as a broadcaster for FOX Sports, and counselled Thomas to leave Stanford without knowing he would be in a position to draft him as a member of the 49ers front office the following season." Lesson learned.

Awaiting return to health of Mike McGlinchey, labeled a can't miss OL.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In defense of Lynch /49ers.

IMO: Lynch (to this point) is an average GM who has benefited from drafting 3rd, 9th and 2nd overall in his three drafts. He did botch one of those.

at those draft spots -- your team usually has many needs, and, you usually have a choice of the highest rated player at a given position.

it will be the Cards spot in 2020 draft (in all likelihood) -- a top 10-ish pick, and, other than QB (maybe RB?) -- a player at any other position likely improves the team. Especially true when a couple QB needy teams elevate guys into the top 10 and push position players lower.

If the Cards end up with Andrew Thomas, OT or Jerry Jeudy, WR next draft, is that being a good GM, or, is it just making an obvious choice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave