The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are looking for a scare this October with a good story line check out this 10 episode series from Netflix.

It's on par the first season of American horror story with a better story line. It's almost like a family drama like This is Us but in the horror genre.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you are looking for a scare this October with a good story line check out this 10 episode series from Netflix.

It's on par the first season of American horror story with a better story line. It's almost like a family drama like This is Us but in the horror genre.
Going to check this out, but also checked out a new series called Haunted on Netflix. It’s a docuseries about people having terrifying true stories about haunting a. The first episode is quite good and I imagine a good companion to Hill House. The reenactments are really well done and made to scare the audience.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've watched 7 episodes so far and while not particularly scary(I don't scare easily) it's entertaining. The Bent Neck Lady story is compelling to say the least.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finished this today. I enjoyed it. Not crazy about them completely rewriting the story but is was a good show. My take....

The ending wasn't all puppy dogs and rainbows. IMO everyone is dead. Everyone died in that room and were thrust into a dream-like reality for them. I mean, you don't shoot strychnine and live through it. I believe even the Dudley's are dead because you can't physically touch a ghost like they were doing their dead daughter.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I finally decided to give this a go...and promptly wondered why I wasted almost two hours of my life. I like a slow burn, but this is molasses with a bad voice-over beginning, wooden acting, a boring script, and just nothing to recommend it. I cannot begin to guess where all the buzz came from.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it.

I'm guessing this is based on the 1963 movie "The Haunting" which is still riveting today even though one wonders what is real and what is imaginary.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I haven't see it.

I'm guessing this is based on the 1963 movie "The Haunting" which is still riveting today even though one wonders what is real and what is imaginary.

I had guessed it was related to the old Vincent Price movie, only updated and changed plot-wise, but boy was I mistaken. The plot was broken up in a way that may have worked for other shows and movies, but really bombed in this one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had guessed it was related to the old Vincent Price movie, only updated and changed plot-wise, but boy was I mistaken. The plot was broken up in a way that may have worked for other shows and movies, but really bombed in this one.

I think there was the mention of a "Hill House" in "The Haunting" so that's why I thought the two films might be related. It's probably something I won't watch unless it's on a non-premium channel.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I finally decided to give this a go...and promptly wondered why I wasted almost two hours of my life. I like a slow burn, but this is molasses with a bad voice-over beginning, wooden acting, a boring script, and just nothing to recommend it. I cannot begin to guess where all the buzz came from.
Two hours of your life? So you only watched the first 2 episodes?

Stout

Reaction score
Two hours of your life? So you only watched the first 2 episodes?

If I thought the first two episodes sucked, why would I watch a third? Usually the pilot needs to hook a person, but I gave it a 2nd episode to see if it was just a poor pilot. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...you know.

A nice upside is that, staying at a hotel the night before my Wednesday flight, I had to find a different show to check out on Netflix, and chose Hemlock Grove. Only a few eps in, but it's so superior to this.