Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s a pretty terrible article.
This was an especially poor take from the article.

This isn’t anywhere close to how Booker would have handled things in previous seasons. Whenever things didn’t go his way, he used to almost make it his mission to find some way to leave the game, whether by ejection, or by playing so poorly that his coach had no choice but to yank him from the game. Now, he’s responding in a way that humbles loudmouth players like Beverley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why post that garbage, especially without comment?

This was an especially poor take from the article.

To note, Booker has been ejected just 3 times in his career, never more than 1 time a season. He's fouled out 14 times in 4 years, 1 time last year, 3 in the previous season, and 5 each in his rookie and sophomore seasons. I can't recall him being benched for playing poorly either. I know he's been pulled when a game is out of reach but that has more to do with him being ahead of his peers as far as not needing garbage times minutes for development. That writer was just making things up.

Link to ESPN.com where it lists ejections and disqualifications.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Why post that garbage, especially without comment?

To note, Booker has been ejected just 3 times in his career, never more than 1 time a season. He's fouled out 14 times in 4 years, 1 time last year, 3 in the previous season, and 5 each in his rookie and sophomore seasons. I can't recall him being benched for playing poorly either. I know he's been pulled when a game is out of reach but that has more to do with him being ahead of his peers as far as not needing garbage times minutes for development. That writer was just making things up.

Link to ESPN.com where it lists ejections and disqualifications.
Booker has been the opposite of what that article suggests. He has always been the guy that wants to use his play (and his own talking) to shut up the guys talking trash to him. That's one of the main reasons I have always believed that he can be a major factor for a championship contending team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Richaun Holmes' mother sent out a congratulatory tweet to the Suns yesterday after the Clippers game. She said she would follow the Suns after Richaun signed in Sacramento and it appears that she still is, which is pretty cool.

Too bad her knucklehead son got busted for driving around with pot during the offseason because that was the likely reason the Suns went in another direction. He did look good in the opener for the Kings. Could use him now since we're lacking depth at C without Ayton. He's on the books in Sacramento for 1 more season after this one, having signed a 2 year $10 million dollar deal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Richaun Holmes' mother sent out a congratulatory tweet to the Suns yesterday after the Clippers game. She said she would follow the Suns after Richaun signed in Sacramento and it appears that she still is, which is pretty cool.

Too bad her knucklehead son got busted for driving around with pot during the offseason because that was the likely reason the Suns went in another direction. He did look good in the opener for the Kings. Could use him now since we're lacking depth at C without Ayton. He's on the books in Sacramento for 1 more season after this one, having signed a 2 year $10 million dollar deal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
She's gone on record saying that she's a fan of any team her son is on, and the Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I love carter that’s not sustainable.

True for anyone. I love the hustle, grit and energy but sometimes he and Oubre go into blackhole mode sometimes. I love the energy but every now and then they forget about the rest of the team and ball movement.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
True for anyone. I love the hustle, grit and energy but sometimes he and Oubre go into blackhole mode sometimes. I love the energy but every now and then they forget about the rest of the team and ball movement.
Do you not have confidence that Monty will take care of that?

We're only four games into the season. And those four games
have produced two victories and two 1-point losses against
three excellent teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I love carter that’s not sustainable.

It's not but if he hovers right around 40% for the season, I call that a win.

He'll be a restricted free agent this summer with a qualifying offer of $1.9 million since he was a 2nd round pick last year. I hope he continues to play well because we may have our PGOF in Carter. He looks really good next to Booker and even though his playmaking could be better, it's not as awful as we've seen come through here recently.

Carter looks more like someone you want to keep for the next few years than Okobo, Melton, Ulis, Shaq Harrison, or any of the PG's we've had to endure over the last few seasons.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you not have confidence that Monty will take care of that?

We're only four games into the season. And those four games
have produced two victories and two 1-point losses against
three excellent teams.

I'm sure he will, also once Ayton comes back things will settle out and i'm sure he'll be more of a focal point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not but if he hovers right around 40% for the season, I call that a win.

He'll be a restricted free agent this summer with a qualifying offer of $1.9 million since he was a 2nd round pick last year. I hope he continues to play well because we may have our PGOF in Carter. He looks really good next to Booker and even though his playmaking could be better, it's not as awful as we've seen come through here recently.

Carter looks more like someone you want to keep for the next few years than Okobo, Melton, Ulis, Shaq Harrison, or any of the PG's we've had to endure over the last few seasons.

As much as I like Carter, I really doubt he is our pg of the future.

He lacks two quality's that are essential for a good pg. Passing ability and the ability to penetrate. Both are extremely hard to improve. I think the chances of Leque being our PG of the future are better but he too is somewhat lacking in passing ability.

He really is a great backup sparkplug, but he needs to be on the floor with another distributor to be at his best.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I like Carter, I really doubt he is our pg of the future.

He lacks two quality's that are essential for a good pg. Passing ability and the ability to penetrate. Both are extremely hard to improve. I think the chances of Leque being our PG of the future are better but he too is somewhat lacking in passing ability.

He really is a great backup sparkplug, but he needs to be on the floor with another distributor to be at his best.

I don't think Carter will ever be a great starter, I should have said that. I guess I was getting ahead of myself some as far as considering him the PGOF but I want him to be a part of this team longterm if he can sustain even 80% of where he's at right now. He's not someone you want to start but you won't be screwed with him having to start a dozen games a year either. He's basically a new age Patrick Beverly. Borderline starter, works best off the bench as someone who can go full out on both ends of the court for the 25 minutes or so they can play before fouling out.

I really liked the tandem of Carter and Jerome from preseason. I think Carter attacked the rim better then also. He seems to be settling for outside shots now but I wonder how much of that is playing within the .5 offense. He's not Booker, Rubio, or Oubre so if he's not adhering to the gameplan or system then Monty will yank him. He's doing what he's told right now and what he's told has him playing very efficiently.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One really encouraging thing I am seeing is that it appears this team is going to scrap with every single team they play. There were some nights last season where the team didn't even look like it showed up to play.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave