Clippers @ Suns Saturday 10-26-19 game thread

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team can thrive without ayton. This might be a blessing in disguise. I don't care about his draft status... When he comes back you don't mess with what's working.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Devin Booker was the best player on the court, and that includes Kawhi Leonard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned much at all is their free throw shooting. They went 15-18 against the Kings, 31-32 against Denver, and 27-34 tonight. Starters were 85% with Booker going 7-8, Oubre 9-9, and Baynes 5-6.

That has been almost important as the defense. Quality free throw shooting will help keep us in games. You can't leave points at the line.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fans have been waiting for you Monty.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Monty Williams called the crowd "huge" in the game. Said he's coached and played against the Suns when "this place was poppin'" so he knows what the fans here can bring.

10:07 PM - 26 Oct 2019

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin Booker was the best player on the court, and that includes Kawhi Leonard.

I thought he had just an ok game. But it is a good step in the right direction.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know we're only three games in, but Monty Williams looks to me like a Coach of the Year candidate...
How are you feeling about these PFs through 3 games? Not saying we have enough evidence to say you're wrong, but they are looking pretty solid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching Monty with the team in the locker room. What a happy and focused team.

He said they can be really good if they attention to details... the little things.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Next game is Monday at home vs. Utah at 7PM.

We're not going to win every game, of course,
but now we know, even with hardships, we
have a chance to win any game.

As the great orator of the Evil Empire, Yogi
Berra, once said "(Baseball) is 90 per cent
mental. The other half is physical." :)

Emotionally, the Suns coaches and players,
and Front Office and fans are a proud NBA
franchise once again.

Count your billions, $arver. We'll count the
wins.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How are you feeling about these PFs through 3 games? Not saying we have enough evidence to say you're wrong, but they are looking pretty solid.

Kaminsky is clearly better at center than at power forward. He is too slow and unathletic to play power forward, particularly on defense. I haven't seen anything to change my mind there. I do think he can be an effective stretch 5 on offense in limited minutes, but his defense (or lack thereof) will always be a concern.

Saric looked like absolute trash in Games 1 and 2. He looked much better tonight but still got outplayed by Montrezl Harrell. If Saric can play closer to tonight's level, he might at least be NBA back-up quality. Still, on both ends of the court, he plays like his feet are glued to the floor.

I think we need a significant upgrade at power forward to take that next step.

Just my opinion

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's going to be hard for Devin to score 70 points again with this much talent around him. :cool:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had 30 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and shot 50% from the field and 3pt range, 10-20 from the field and 3-6 from 3pt range. He played good defense also. What would be a good game, in your opinion, if that is just "ok"?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker says defense can be their identity when their shots aren't falling.

So glad to hear the team has bought into this philosophy.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I got home from the gym and wasn't even going to watch the game, but decided to check it out while doing other stuff.
This team is fun and really scrappy. I haven't had this much fun watching this team in quite a few years.
They weren't shooting well, refs were screwing them over and over and over, and they did NOT give up. I just love that they do not give up. They keep playing hard, and they manage to get themselves back in the game. I love it!

Also, Carter is becoming my favorite player, and Book is playing defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Montrez lHarrell is a very underrated player. I've always appreciated his game.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Before this season started I would have called you insane if you told me Frank, Dario, and Devin were playing great D. I can't believe Monty has got all three of them playing the best D of their careers. I'm stunned. Absolutely stunned at this D.

James Jones looks like a total genius at this point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next game is Monday at home vs. Utah at 7PM.

We're not going to win every game, of course,
but now we know, even with hardships, we
have a chance to win any game.

As the great orator of the Evil Empire, Yogi
Berra, once said "(Baseball) is 90 per cent
mental. The other half is physical." :)

Emotionally, the Suns coaches and players,
and Front Office and fans are a proud NBA
franchise once again.

Count your billions, $arver. We'll count the
wins.

We're not going to win every game, that's already established with the loss in Denver but we CAN win every game and that's a huge change from years past.

We will every home game though, that isn't asking too much.
;)

We're already 2-0!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always admired system teams because you always know how you are going to play.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Quote of the night from Aron Baynes. @ginamizell asked him about how they pull off a win like this after being in Denver last night and he said "living within the system." Speaks to how they are succeeding at the moment.

10:35 PM - 26 Oct 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got home from the gym and wasn't even going to watch the game, but decided to check it out while doing other stuff.
This team is fun and really scrappy. I haven't had this much fun watching this team in quite a few years.
They weren't shooting well, refs were screwing them over and over and over, and they did NOT give up. I just love that they do not give up. They keep playing hard, and they manage to get themselves back in the game. I love it!

Also, Carter is becoming my favorite player, and Book is playing defense.

They're getting screwed by the refs but staying at it is important to overcome that. Not only are they able to stay in the game but they've been able to win despite the officiating. Eddie Johnson talked about it briefly during the game, about staying with it and let Monty talk to the refs. This team is doing that and I think we'll see the refs swallow their whistle more in the future. They are establishing an identity and so long as the players stay consistent with their playstyle and not jaw at the refs, we'll see in the future that the refs shouldn't be the issue they have been.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson