What is Isabella's football IQ...

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isabella is going to get 23 yards in a game and 98.7 is going to erupt with chants of "breakout". Cut to four years, Isabella will join ring of honor like Minter and Niklaus.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically very few WRs make a big splash their rookie year. He has tools.

P S. Just for shitz and giggles the guy so many lauded as the next Aaron Donald/Mean Joe Green/ etc was Ed Oliver. How's he doin'? Got his 1st sack of the season last week. Rookie blues afflict most players regardless of position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Historically very few WRs make a big splash their rookie year. He has tools.

P S. Just for shitz and giggles the guy so many lauded as the next Aaron Donald/Mean Joe Green/ etc was Ed Oliver. How's he doin'? Got his 1st sack of the season last week. Rookie blues afflict most players regardless of position.
Isabella has different expectations though, because of what he represents from the assets we gave up, and the fact we passed up on DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin for him, who are both playing the role this team so desperately needs right now.

It'd be one thing if he were showing some promise, but the reality is he can barely make it onto the field when there's plenty of opportunity.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes no sense guys. He seems to be a guy Kliff and the franchise was enthrall to get and this is all we have from him so far. Really, for a second pick there is something fishy. I get he's a hard worker from a small school and that makes him likable but I do not like his production... especially when Kirk goes down and the franchise tells you they would rather have Cooper out there
In all fairness..it makes just as much as sense as questioning his football iq does. Imo. We only know what we know...only inside Kingsburys mind lies the true answer... Everything else is just fun speculation. Now if by next year this is still the case... Different story imo

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not a challenging concept to say that we just picked another bad player, like most of Keim's picks.

"Short kid from UMass that didn't play against any decent competition" is what the scouting report basically was in all draft mags.
He also had a pretty good PFF rating iirc like most of the other picks that we like so far from this past draft.. so theres that.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isabella has different expectations though, because of what he represents from the assets we gave up, and the fact we passed up on DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin for him, who are both playing the role this team so desperately needs right now.

It'd be one thing if he were showing some promise, but the reality is he can barely make it onto the field when there's plenty of opportunity.
but can you guarantee Metcalf and McLaurin would be performing in KK offense this early.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
but can you guarantee Metcalf and McLaurin would be performing in KK offense this early.
Can I guarantee it? No. But can I guarantee they are more prototypically designed to be an X receiver because of their size? Yes.

A good portion of this board is talking about using a 1st round pick to get an X receiver next year. The pick just didn't make a ton of sense given our makeup at the position.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Mclaurin looks like a technician out there, the difference between him and our Keesean Johnson, is elite speed.

Metcalf runs 9 routes well and has used the threat of the 9 to drive off his man and pull up on a stick route.

However he is sloppy in and out of his breaks in the rest of the route tree, he doesn't stem the top of his route to take advantage of his size vs applied leverage and his ability to get separation, and he body catches when he doesn't have to.

There is a lot of parallels between Isabella and Metcalf's current ability despite the obvious physical differences that speak more to development and coaching.

If Isabella puts in the work, his quickness (not just top-end speed) will make him a huge asset...the question is will he put in the work?

Of course, I could be completely wrong, I was only a HS coach and that was a few years ago and I know the game has changed tremendously...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Jesus man you gotta (a) stop living in the past; and (b) understand that he’s one guy - he won’t be the #10 pick, the 3rd, and the 5th round picks from 2018 draft. All those draft picks traded for him don’t change the fact that he’s a rookie from a smaller college. He is what he is and you’re best off reworking your (and I’m going to stress that word, bc I think you’re alone on a desolate prairie with your expectations at this juncture) expectations to something that better approximated an undersized speedster from a small school that was likely a little over drafted.

I mean you’re trying to argue our expectations should be greater for the 40-somethingth pick in the draft than they are for the 9th? Come back to us, I think your grasp on reality is slipping away.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus man you gotta (a) stop living in the past; and (b) understand that he’s one guy - he won’t be the #10 pick, the 3rd, and the 5th round picks from 2018 draft. All those draft picks traded for him don’t change the fact that he’s a rookie from a smaller college. He is what he is and you’re best off reworking your (and I’m going to stress that word, bc I think you’re alone on a desolate prairie with your expectations at this juncture) expectations to something that better approximated an undersized speedster from a small school that was likely a little over drafted.

I mean you’re trying to argue our expectations should be greater for the 40-somethingth pick in the draft than they are for the 9th? Come back to us, I think your grasp on reality is slipping away.
Phenomenal post.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Where did I argue that our expectations for those two players should be anything like that?

I don't see where it's wild that I'd hope a second round pick would contribute something, and this is another signal of Keim's absolutely terrible drafting. The guy has two freaking receptions, for 8 yards, through 7 games. There have been injuries that should provide wide-open opportunities, but he's being outplayed by guys that couldn't make other rosters.

He needs to show something. I'm going to repeat it again and again, this team has next to zero young talent, and it's all because Keim can't seem to draft his way out of a wet paper bag. How many excuses are we going to continue making just because they wear Cardinal red?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Where did I argue that our expectations for those two players should be anything like that?

I don't see where it's wild that I'd hope a second round pick would contribute something, and this is another signal of Keim's absolutely terrible drafting. The guy has two freaking receptions, for 8 yards, through 7 games. There have been injuries that should provide wide-open opportunities, but he's being outplayed by guys that couldn't make other rosters.

He needs to show something. I'm going to repeat it again and again, this team has next to zero young talent, and it's all because Keim can't seem to draft his way out of a wet paper bag. How many excuses are we going to continue making just because they wear Cardinal red?
I’m still confused Why WRs not producing as rookies are so critizied when TEs and WRs usually takes 2 full seasons before They have adjusted from College to the NFL.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can I guarantee it? No. But can I guarantee they are more prototypically designed to be an X receiver because of their size? Yes.

A good portion of this board is talking about using a 1st round pick to get an X receiver next year. The pick just didn't make a ton of sense given our makeup at the position.
This pick will always be a thorn for you because of the Rosen ordeal... So there is some obvious bias there imo. But its all good... We shall see on the young fella. He still has some time before final judgement. Imo

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I never had high expectations for Andy but I am surprised that up to this point his contribution to the team has been little to nothing. We need to stop drafting projects in the top 3 rounds and start drafting players that will at least contribute something in their rookie year. I want to cut Keim some slack because this is clearly a KK pick but he's done this song and dance many times before now with other players he's drafted.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This pick will always be a thorn for you because of the Rosen ordeal... So there is some obvious bias there imo. But its all good... We shall see on the young fella. He still has some time before final judgement. Imo
Listen, I'm not going to freak out if Isabella manages to show something down the line. His connection to the whole fiasco will be there, but he doesn't need to be Randy Moss for it to be a semi-successful pick. Is it so much to ask that the team draft some starters? Some guys who will see the field?

Again, this is more about Keim than Isabella, for me. I have an incredible sinking feeling that we're going to be stuck with him for another year or two, and have nothing to show for it.

Maybe he can shift the narrative over his career, but as of right now, he's a bad pick.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listen, I'm not going to freak out if Isabella manages to show something down the line. His connection to the whole fiasco will be there, but he doesn't need to be Randy Moss for it to be a semi-successful pick. Is it so much to ask that the team draft some starters? Some guys who will see the field?

Again, this is more about Keim than Isabella, for me. I have an incredible sinking feeling that we're going to be stuck with him for another year or two, and have nothing to show for it.

Maybe he can shift the narrative over his career, but as of right now, he's a bad pick.
.......still listening. :)

But I'll just say this... It's a matter of perception I suppose.. I don't believe I've made a bad investment when I buy a stock and it doesn't go up right away... some need immediate gratification. Patience is key to most everything in life. :). But if he ends the year on a sour note... I'll start rethinking our investment.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
.......still listening. :)

But I'll just say this... It's a matter of perception I suppose.. I don't believe I've made a bad investment when I buy a stock and it doesn't go up right away... some need immediate gratification. Patience is key to most everything in life. :). But if he ends the year on a sour note... I'll start rethinking our investment.
Sure, but if one of my team members hires a kid to work for us and seven weeks in he's just barely learned how to open his email, I'm probably not going to give him a great performance review.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isabella might be good...he might suck. Who knows.

Regardless, Keim should not have a job and should have been fired the minute the cuffs clicked on his wrists.

I just threw some brats on the grill.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The board is comprised of amateur evaluators ( especially me ). I will assume that Isabella is here as part of the plan and the aforementioned receivers are not for the same reason that it was not part of the plan. If A I flunks next season, then resume the piling on is my thought. This year does not have the urgency. Instant gratification is a fault. Think about the giant steps since the Wilkes mini era.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
The kid can't be productive if he's not being ultilized in the offense. Hell, even Larry only gets the ball once or twice a half sometimes. If you want answers ask Kliff or Murray instead of bagging on a kid who has no control if he's being targeted or not.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The board is comprised of amateur evaluators ( especially me ). I will assume that Isabella is here as part of the plan and the aforementioned receivers are not for the same reason that it was not part of the plan. If A I flunks next season, then resume the piling on is my thought. This year does not have the urgency. Instant gratification is a fault. Think about the giant steps since the Wilkes mini era.
I can only call what I see. Players need to make some kind of contribution, or end up replaced. Drafting a player to replace him one year later would be a pretty major indictment that it was a wasted or at least strongly underutilized pick.

But players simply don't get multiple years to perform anymore.

Also, while I'm in the realm of more optimism about the team in the past month, I still don't see "giant steps" from the Wilks days, but that's neither here nor there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Isabella is a major disappointment at this stage of his career. that could change at some point but it does not help anything now.
hopefully an off season will shape him into something because at this point he is nothing....even his value as a decoy is going down.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but if one of my team members hires a kid to work for us and seven weeks in he's just barely learned how to open his email, I'm probably not going to give him a great performance review.
...but you keep him on the team and give him some more time to prove himself. Also, because you're such a swell guy... ;)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This isn't too difficult to figure out and in the end it is Kingsbury's fault. Kingsbury wanted a speed, gadget player. Unfortunately, Isabella struggles vs press coverage. The issue when we drafted him was how is he going to get on the field? He is a slot WR who struggles vs man on a team with a plethora of slot options. He was never beating out Fitz. He was never beating out Kirk. In order to counter this, Kingsbury gave Isabella reps from both the outside (so he could see the field) and the inside (so he could be best used). Well, Kirk got injured and the offense has morphed into more 11 and 12 personnel packages. This meant Isabella needed to be exclusively an outside player. Unfortunately he still can't figure out press coverage while Cooper and Byrd can. All of that to go with the mental and physical learning curve of transitioning to the NFL.

He is another guy who I am not sure will ever live up to where he selected but I really don't think he will end up being a true "bust". He just isn't better than the guys we have on our roster right now because our best WRs play the position he is best at, and our worst ones play spots where he needs the most coaching up.

The saddest part is that I saw at the Senior Bowl these struggles and how McLaurin was a better NFL prospect. I am shocked Keim didn't.

EDIT: I forgot to add that DJ is a better receiving option inside as well.