Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
man... I'm really cheesed off at this. That kid just took a dump on the entire team and wasted a season because he was either too stupid/lazy to get out of this like most professional athletes or because he doesn't have the discipline needed to be the best, because being the best means being on the damn court.
That’s a bit harsh. Not like we were challenging for the playoffs or anything. Also, 25 games isn’t the season. It’s akin to a six-week injury. Sucks, but it’s not gonna send the team into a spiral

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s a bit harsh. Not like we were challenging for the playoffs or anything. Also, 25 games isn’t the season. It’s akin to a six-week injury. Sucks, but it’s not gonna send the team into a spiral
And this is assuming he even serves the entire suspension. Think there is a decent chance of it at least being shortened.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Talked to someone who knows one of DA’s old coaches. There’s a belief that this could get cleared after the weekend due to the PA’s appeal.

Guess we’ll see, perhaps a little bit of hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I hope you’re right but don’t believe it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If he did something stupid I hope he has the entire 25 games. People today don’t seem to understand consequences. 25 games will put a dent financially that he’ll remember. If he screws up again after that I think that’s all we need to know about the kid.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns fans shouldn't be disappointed that our #1 draft pick will be lost to the
team because it's "not like we were challenging for the playoffs"?

Is running a red light or a wrong way driver not punishable if you don't kill someone?

And "It's akin to a six-week injury."?

No, it's not. An injury occurs in the line of duty. Unless it turns out to be proven
otherwise, this did not happen to Ayton. It is something he took.

People need to be held accountable for their behavior or there will be chaos.

And Suns fans should be indeed be angry that one of the faces of the team
has let us down.

When he misses tonight's game (to begin in two hours), it will have hurt the
team. Even if Monty Williams can coach around it, which I am rooting for.

The only thing harsh was the incident itself. Without that, we wouldn't be
talking about it.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
If he did something stupid I hope he has the entire 25 games. People today don’t seem to understand consequences. 25 games will put a dent financially that he’ll remember. If he screws up again after that I think that’s all we need to know about the kid.

Got to agree with this. We are always looking for loopholes, scapegoats and excuses to excuse stupid behavior. Then we wonder why it happens over and over again. Why even have rules?

TJ

Reaction score

Yeah because reducing it to 5-10 games will make a huge behavioral difference...

TJ

Reaction score
Phoenix Suns fans shouldn't be disappointed that our #1 draft pick will be lost to the

Is running a red light or a wrong way driver not punishable if you don't kill someone?.

Stopped reading after this. Not remotely what I was saying.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is running a red light or a wrong way driver not punishable if you don't kill someone?

And "It's akin to a six-week injury."?

No, it's not. An injury occurs in the line of duty. Unless it turns out to be proven
otherwise, this did not happen to Ayton. It is something he took.

People need to be held accountable for their behavior or there will be chaos.

And Suns fans should be indeed be angry that one of the faces of the team
has let us down.

When he misses tonight's game (to begin in two hours), it will have hurt the
team. Even if Monty Williams can coach around it, which I am rooting for.

The only thing harsh was the incident itself. Without that, we wouldn't be
talking about it.

agreed. when you do something so stupid to miss 1/3 of the season, your first season with a new HC, a season where the team is hoping to stop being a laughingstock and you yourself have talked yourself up as the leader of the team, you deserve harsh criticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if ths has been posted but Ayton can practice with the team but must leave the arena two hours before the game while he is suspended.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not sure if ths has been posted but Ayton can practice with the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Seems like an odd rule. What would being in the arena do for someone serving a suspension? Make him miss being out even more?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like an odd rule. What would being in the arena do for someone serving a suspension? Make him miss being out even more?

It's hard to understand the mindset behind some of these rules.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
yeah. it's called punishment.
Yeah I know and not being able to play in 25 games sure seems like punishment to me...

Does it really matter if he is in the arena during those 25 games? Will he somehow not feel punished by being on the sidelines forced to watch the game instead of playing in it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah because reducing it to 5-10 games will make a huge behavioral difference...
Do you have kids? iPad gone for a month is much more impactful than gone for a couple days. And in $$$ that’s a major difference. Like $1-1.M difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know and not being able to play in 25 games sure seems like punishment to me...

Does it really matter if he is in the arena during those 25 games? Will he somehow not feel punished by being on the sidelines forced to watch the game instead of playing in it?

the league apparently thinks so. it's so punitive because he not only broke the rules, but then tried to break the rules again to mask the first infraction. as far as I'm concerned, you throw the book at someone like that in whatever way you think needs to get the message across to never do that again. missing games and not being allowed in the arena during games feels appropriate to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Frankly I’m shocked he’s even allowed to practice. Not allowed in nfl.

TJ

Reaction score
Do you have kids? iPad gone for a month is much more impactful than gone for a couple days. And in $$$ that’s a major difference. Like $1-1.M difference.
Yes, and I’m a board certified behavior analyst. There are tons of studies that show excessively punitive punishments don’t necessarily reduce future occurrences of behavior.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I personally don't have any problem with Ayton being punished for breaking the rules... if only I believed that the NBA was testing and enforcing such penalties uniformly on all teams and players across the league... which I don't.

I find it extremely interesting that in all the years the NBA's substance abuse policy has been in place, it has been enforced so rarely, and never on any players of real note, until (arguably) now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As strongly as I feel that Ayton deserves punishment, I agree with the rule.

Letting him practice with the team until two hours before each game will
keep him in shape and in touch for when he returns.

And possibly preclude an injury upon return. Being realistic does not
negate punishment for violating rules.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, and I’m a board certified behavior analyst. There are tons of studies that show excessively punitive punishments don’t necessarily reduce future occurrences of behavior.
I don’t think that’s excessive. Do you disagree that to understand consequences you have to care about the consequence?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I personally don't have any problem with Ayton being punished for breaking the rules... if only I believed that the NBA was testing and enforcing such penalties uniformly on all teams and players across the league... which I don't.

I find it extremely interesting that in all the years the NBA's substance abuse policy has been in place, it has been enforced so rarely, and never on any players of real note, until (arguably) now.
Are you intimating that the nba has an axe to grind with (a) one of the worst and insignificant teams in the league or (b) with the #1 pick in the draft last year who by all public accounts seems to be an affable likable kid? I don’t see it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And saying "punitive punishments don't necessarily reduce future occurrences"
is not the same as saying "they don't".

Does anyone doubt that Ayton will learn from this experience?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson