Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pot leaves your system quite quickly from what i have heard, that's why they test hair for it you can detect it longer in hair than in blood or urine.

I just tend to agree with those who say he just doesn't seem like a guy who'd be on PED's he seems way too laid back. Pot makes sense, PED's don't IMO

I'm not familiar with the new variations of marijuana but it used to stay in the system 2-3 weeks depending upon the frequency of use... maybe longer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the new variations of marijuana but it used to stay in the system 2-3 weeks depending upon the frequency of use... maybe longer.

And you're right and I'm wrong. Per google urine tests can find pot 3-30 days after using, hair tests 90 days. Saliva tests only 24 hours.

Good thing I'm not a pot smoker I'd have been testing positive!

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
A daily cannabis user could test positive for well over a month after stopping. Someone who dabbles intermittently could test clean in a couple of days.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
That's what my 2nd statement meant I think they are not saying he tested negative on later tests, they're saying after testing positive for the diuretic, they tested him for other substances but found no traces of anything else BUT the diuretic.

I don't have a horse in this race but anybody who knows me knows I'm damn near obsessed with cheating and this sort of thing, spent years here and elsewhere arguing Lance was cheating and would eventually be caught. I think it came from growing up an A's fan and then seeing Canseco and McGwire and hearing all the rumors years before they got caught.

Drug testing is EXTREMELY scientific, it's not BS and when you consider the amount of tests they do, the instances of false positives are actually quite low. Players are trying to get an edge and it's remarkable what they will do to try and beat the system, taking horse steroids and adderall and all sorts of other stuff. If I had to guess I would say Ayton smoked some pot, then decided uh oh I might get tested so he got a diuretic to try and flush his system out and tested positive for that. It's almost unheard of these days for an athlete to test positive and say yeah I did it.

I think 25 games is excessive based on the information we have but I suspect it either means he'd already tested positive before and we didn't know it, or he was suspended because they saw the diuretic use as evidence he was taking something and tried to hide it so they gave him a higher suspension. I would hope it's reduced to more like 10 games or less dependent on what else comes out.
Scientific, and can be beat with a calculator and general knowledge of the substances. I’m not saying there false positives. I’m sure he took what they said he was on. I just find the whole anti doping thing ridiculous in the first place. I could care less if a athlete was on every substance on earth. Many people say at least 70% of athletes are doping.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pot leaves your system quite quickly from what i have heard, that's why they test hair for it you can detect it longer in hair than in blood or urine.

I just tend to agree with those who say he just doesn't seem like a guy who'd be on PED's he seems way too laid back. Pot makes sense, PED's don't IMO

Found this on how long it stays in your system. It says it can be out in a couple of days if it's a urine test and the person isn't a regular user.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/marijuana-rehab/how-long-system-body

You must be registered for see images attach

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Google says Romanian weightlifter Gabriel Sincraian was stripped of a bronze medal but not for caffeine but for "exogenous testosterone" that happened in 2016.

2018 article I found said Caffeine is on the watch list but is NOT banned by WADA even though there's tons of documented evidence that it is a performance enhancer when used to improve endurance. Some tests cited improvements of 1.5 to 5% and it's apparently widely used by triathletes and other endurance athletes who take capsules of it during their competitions.

I have a hard time blaming drug testing when you have cases of people doping themselves with other peoples blood to increase their blood oxygen levels and being caught because they were a man and the blood they used belonged to a woman! There's a famous case in cycling about that where the guy actually claimed the reason he tested positive for womens blood is it was from the unborn twin sister of his. That his body had trace elements of an unborn twin sister. That guy, Tyler Hamilton, eventually admitted he'd doped and made that story up and he was actually a huge part of Lance finally getting caught, the lengths these guys go to is insane.

I seriously doubt Ayton did anything even remotely like that I suspect he smoked pot and then tried to hide it. My guess is that's why the NBAPA is fighting it they like most of us think POT should be legal and should NOT be banned by sports leagues.
I don’t think they should be dope testing in the first place. So I agree pot shouldn’t be on the list because there shouldn’t be a list.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
And moving on, didn’t the union file to reduce the suspension? I’m sure since this isn’t a actual anabolic or illegal drug that this would be reduced with pressure from the Union.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they should be dope testing in the first place. So I agree pot shouldn’t be on the list because there shouldn’t be a list.

So the problem is then it becomes an arms race and nobody has any idea what's real and what's not. Lance Armstrong is the obvious example to use for years he was the biggest doper in his sport while publicly accusing everyone else of doping. they all were doping, but not for teh reason Lance gave, they were doping to compete with Lance.

I guess the argument is if doping weren't against the rules then people wouldn't take so many risks like all the cyclists who died because they were doing things that were risky like taking EPO which led to insanely healthy 30 year old riders having heart attacks. So if doping were legal, they could do it safely and under doctors care? I guess that's a reasonable argument.

it just seems to me part of the point of sports is to see who, under the rules is the best, be it individual or team sports. But we've made them so big that now you get this extreme pressure to win leading to all sorts of cheating scandals.

Which is what always fascinates me how at a certain point people will go so far to win. Not even in sports the idea that someone would pay a half million bucks to get their airhead daughers into USC so they can get a degree from a good school is silly to me.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Too bad the NBA isn't like the NFL where a player isn't subject to penalty while it's in the appeal phase.
It's probably better this way. If the suspension is upheld he would have already started the 25 game suspension as opposed to starting it after the appeal is over.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
10/25/19, 12:25 PM
Devin Booker said the #Suns have to view Ayton’s suspension as an injury:
“Obviously, it’s unfortunate losing a player like him, but we have to deal with it. There’s gonna be bumps in the courses, and we know that as a team. I think that’s gonna unify is even more.”

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns have no choice but to move forward as if it's going to stay a 25 game suspension. They will then adjust if the suspension is shortened or removed, but until then they need to treat it like it's the worst case scenario.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
10/25/19, 12:27 PM
Booker added that Ayton did address teammates about his suspension. “We all spoke, but that’s all in-house, so we’re gonna keep it that way.” Ayton was with the team at shootaround this morning and can practice during suspension #Suns

That is one silver lining here. At least he can continue to practice with the team. I wouldn't have him working with the team that much right now though. That's is 2 months that Mark Bryant and other coaches can drill some things into his head.

He's 100% healthy and they can use this time almost like some other young players sat out their rookie seasons. This is different, of course, and he's not a rookie anymore but knowing he can still practice with the team is big and is one bright spot of all this.

I'm fairly certain he won't be allowed to be with the team for games on the bench like an injured player would be though. Suspensions vary but I can't recall a case where a suspended player was ever on the bench with a team while serving that suspension.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Terrible and disappointing news but without knowing all the facts, I'm not going to crucify a 21 year old for making a mistake and I don't believe he was using PED's or anything of the sort. With modern medicine I refuse to believe that if he was truly using anything of the sort, that a single trace wouldn't have been found by now. If he was trying to cover up for weed then it's a shame but it's a hard lesson that he will hopefully learn from going forward. I hope that he is able to reduce the suspension because 25 games is a bit too harsh for a first time offense IMO. If not then the team will need to work it out until he gets back and that's that. 25 games sucks but it is not the end of the world.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some info from Gambo on the NBA's drug testing policy...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And Barkley's 2 cents....

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd put it here also, Gambo apparently spoke with Big Sauce and he's available. He's playing in Russia right now but could be signed by the Suns as he's available. The Suns could go with a Two-Way deal since they have a full roster but have 1 Two-Way contract available.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

And if you needed an official line, Williams said Baynes will start.

8:25 AM - 25 Oct 2019
Good, Baynes has the bulk of a role-playing Center.

I think it will fit in well with the rest of our lineup.

We can even go somewhat lighter at Power Forward,
such as Oubre and Bridges on the floor at the same time.

We'll see about his foul trouble.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is one positive to potentially seeing Baynes and Kaminsky playing a lot of center minutes and that is that they are both good floor spacers. We could very easily have many lineups with 5 shooters on the floor together.

Obviously I would rather have Ayton's presence inside, but we should see better spacing and potentially better shooting with those guys out there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Terrible and disappointing news but without knowing all the facts, I'm not going to crucify a 21 year old for making a mistake and I don't believe he was using PED's or anything of the sort. With modern medicine I refuse to believe that if he was truly using anything of the sort, that a single trace wouldn't have been found by now. If he was trying to cover up for weed then it's a shame but it's a hard lesson that he will hopefully learn from going forward. I hope that he is able to reduce the suspension because 25 games is a bit too harsh for a first time offense IMO. If not then the team will need to work it out until he gets back and that's that. 25 games sucks but it is not the end of the world.
I do not know why they don't just do hair follicle tests instead--then the entire diuretic issue would be moot. It is harder to fake, has more of a time-frame window, and cannot be diluted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... I'm really cheesed off at this. That kid just took a dump on the entire team and wasted a season because he was either too stupid/lazy to get out of this like most professional athletes or because he doesn't have the discipline needed to be the best, because being the best means being on the damn court.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Talked to someone who knows one of DA’s old coaches. There’s a belief that this could get cleared after the weekend due to the PA’s appeal.

Guess we’ll see, perhaps a little bit of hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talked to someone who knows one of DA’s old coaches. There’s a belief that this could get cleared after the weekend due to the PA’s appeal.

Guess we’ll see, perhaps a little bit of hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The verbage used implies he too something illegal and tried to cover it up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose