Kings @ Suns Wednesday 10-23-19 game thread

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why would Igor be down? He was given a pu-pu platter of "NBA" talent (outside of Booker and a very young Ayton) to work with, at least until Oubre and Johnson arrived. But then got hurt. And Booker got hurt. And TJ was always hurt.
You really can't compare these two rosters and say "See Igor - you sucked". He wasn't the greatest of communicators, it seemed, but he is still a coach in the NBA.

Last season’s roster had more talent than 19 wins.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I watched the game on a bit of delay, so I wasn't commenting last night. What stood out to me, even in the first half was that the Suns look like an actual NBA team. Even when shots weren't falling in the first half, they looked like an actual NBA team full of actual NBA players. Even guys like Dario and Frank are actual NBA players.

Second thing that stood out to me is that Booker did an outstanding job not forcing anything. He was getting doubled and trapped, and he did not force a single shot, most likely because he didn't need to. He got his eventually, but it was so nice to see him not have to play hero-ball. I was also really impressed with his effort on defense, especially in the second half. He also did a great job facilitating.

Rubio is better than I remember him being. Yeah, he can't shoot, but he is extremely smart, and very good defensively. He gets guys open shots. In the first quarter, I remember him getting guys open shots. They just weren't hitting them.

Ayton played very well. His offense was excellent in the first half, and his defense was better than last year. He was challenging shots, blocking and altering them.

Oubre makes an occasional stupid play, takes an occasional bad shot, but I love watching him play. His attitude is much needed on this team.

Carter was outstanding. I love watching him and Bridges play defense.

Baynes was exactly what I expected. Saric and Kaminsky didn't play great, but they are clearly NBA-level players.

This team still has some major issues, but it was so refreshing to watch an actual NBA team tonight as opposed to the roster they had last year. When you have a bunch of real NBA players, you always have a chance because out of 10 NBA-level players, two or three of them always have a chance of catching fire.

Great win!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would Igor be down? He was given a pu-pu platter of "NBA" talent (outside of Booker and a very young Ayton) to work with, at least until Oubre and Johnson arrived. But then got hurt. And Booker got hurt. And TJ was always hurt.
You really can't compare these two rosters and say "See Igor - you sucked". He wasn't the greatest of communicators, it seemed, but he is still a coach in the NBA.

It was a joke. I hold no ill will towards Igor and think he got a bad rap here. He was given a bad roster, without a true PG, and told that his job was to win now. He had his issues but I thought he improved as the year went on also. I think we were better than 19 wins last year but I don't blame that on him. There are numerous reasons why that happened that aren't worth rehashing here.

That said, it had to sting for him a little to see the team he was the head coach of come out and play with the effort the Suns did last night. On top of that, the Suns signed the PG that he helped improve in Utah before coming to Phoenix. He wasn't even given a real PG when he was here, the closest he had came in for the Suns during garbage time and wasn't even the PG for the Suns then. I can't imagine he enjoyed opening day of the season here in Phoenix watching his team cough up a double digit first half lead.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think just about every team needs a guy like Carter coming off the bench. He is such a disruptive force to the ball handlers on defense and it’s a great bonus that he can also get hot from 3.

Finding a point guard that can defend and score is quite the find. The Suns need to find a way to keep him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have three stars in Booker, Ayton and Oubre which should bode well for the future. When this team develops chemistry... watch out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns have three stars in Booker, Ayton and Oubre which should bode well for the future. When this team develops chemistry... watch out.

Then defense with Rubio, Bridges, Carter. Oubre adds intensity as well. We also have a tall guy in Ayton.

The only weakness might be pf right now, i'll give Saric some time to come around.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
i
Why would Igor be down?

He returned on the season opener as an assistant coach, to play the team that fired him after one season as the head coach, and watched his team that is supposed to be significantly better get blown out. I'm sure it would be safe to say it wasn't a high point in his life.

I would agree though that there is no need to pile on. He seems like a good guy who was in over his head with a group of bad players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the blowout but I wonder what kind of a toll that India trip took on the Kings in the 2nd half?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then defense with Rubio, Bridges, Carter. Oubre adds intensity as well. We also have a tall guy in Ayton.

The only weakness might be pf right now, i'll give Saric some time to come around.

Most playoff teams are built around 2 stars and some role players so I think the Suns are in good shape. IMO, Oubre is a budding star so that's 3 players.

The Suns do not need Saric to be more than a role player at the power forward position to be good. Of course it would be nice if he exceeded expectations but I'm not going to dwell on it.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I loved the blowout but I wonder what kind of a toll that India trip took on the Kings in the 2nd half?
That was over two weeks ago. How much recovery time do they need? I doubt they took commercial flights, but I don't know that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most playoff teams are built around 2 stars and some role players so I think the Suns are in good shape. IMO, Oubre is a budding star so that's 3 players.

The Suns do not need Saric to be more than a role player at the power forward position to be good. Of course it would be nice if he exceeded expectations but I'm not going to dwell on it.

Playoffs! playoffs!

Saric and the rest of us know he's a role player. He doesn't need to put up big numbers but he needs better percentages on scoring.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oubre is not a star stop it
Define "star" than. Because I think he can average 20/6 with decent shooting and solid defense. To me that puts him right the territory of a what makes for a star player. Especially if he is doing that and the team is winning.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Define "star" than. Because I think he can average 20/6 with decent shooting and solid defense. To me that puts him right the territory of a what makes for a star player. Especially if he is doing that and the team is winning.
Stars take over games...they make the clutch shots and have the ball in their hands when it matters. Oubre has never shown any of those traits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave