#claimFlashGordon

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You gotta wonder they were all in on Antonio Brown until it became impossible to still be in on him. Now he's MUCH better than Gordon but if they were willing to take the risk on Brown why are they giving up on Gordon?

I'd pass but I guess I wouldn't be furious if we took a look
He's going on IR with an injury he says it's minor (or so I read). They already brought back 1 player from IR, and are planning on bring back their injured LT. He's a free agent after this year, so releasing him after he gets healthy (or if) would let him play for another team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going on IR with an injury he says it's minor (or so I read). They already brought back 1 player from IR, and are planning on bring back their injured LT. He's a free agent after this year, so releasing him after he gets healthy (or if) would let him play for another team.

There has to be more there. He said he's just got a minor injury and was surprised to be on IR. They announced they were releasing a TE, and that according to the media said Gordon would NOT be released. Then they put him on IR and announced they are NOT releasing the TE afterall. Media had said with the trade, and Harry coming healthy, Gordon would probably be released but when they released this TE everyone said ok nevermind. Then they announced they didn't actually release the TE they just put Gordon on IR.

I suspect the NFL has rules about using IR for players who aren't actually injured but I don't know. One of the stories said Gordon was seen running 22mph on a treadmill the same day he was put on IR with a knee injury.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gordon has never been reported to be a locker room cancer. Fortunately for him, NFL players aren't puritan narcs.

He must've broken a "Patriots Rule" and they are showing him the door a nice way through IR.

Gordon is definitely worth whatever low risk may come with him. Front office shouldnt be worried about the public image of signing Gordon - the only thing getting domestically assaulted is his snack cabinet after a joint.

Put a claim in.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guaranteed to happen:

Some dude will be busted for weed, PEDs or whatever. And all kinds of chatter will surface debating whether Arizona should acquire him. A fierce "He's good vs. he's dirty" debate will then occupy us all.

Multiply this 20 or 30 times.

Yawn.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Always worth upgrading the talent at the bottom of the roster IMO. Isn't that the bullcrap line that Keim loves to feed us?

Problem is that it might cost us Pharaoh Cooper again.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Always worth upgrading the talent at the bottom of the roster IMO. Isn't that the bullcrap line that Keim loves to feed us?

Problem is that it might cost us Pharaoh Cooper again.

Isabell's pinky finger may get hurt to IR him in the nick of time.

Get GordonOrRobby.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
lets say the Cards go win in NO (hey, stick with me here...)

Is that enough for Keim (or better, Mike B) to say "I think we have something here" and maybe become a buyer?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He has been up and down for quite a while hasn't he? Didn't he miss last season for personal issues? I could be wrong on that? Also he has had some injury issues as well, no?

I say pass on him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gorden is the perfect waiver claim.

Position of need....check
Talented player.....check
Cheap.....check
Short term commitment.....check
Not a cancer.....check

Too bad the equivalent version of a DE cant come up on waivers too.

IMNSHO...we would be fools to let Gordon go without trying him out...its a zero risk all reward situation.

Which likely means keim wont even look

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I say get him, no real financial commitment and giving Kyler a guy that can make life easier is a huge plus for me. I’ve always liked Gordon, he’s a guy I’ve wanted to reach a good place in the league with all that’s happened.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Bring him in for the sole fact that Jalen Ramsey will probably follow him around the entire game and leave everyone else open

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His ''substance abuse'' was the devil's lettuce. Which should be legal anyway. ;)

A little research says it's a LOT more than just pot.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

Guy apparently had a very rough childhood and was abusing all sorts of things including pot, alcohol, codeine(from cough syrup) and was regularly using before games while in Cleveland.

he explains he didn't get caught in college because a coach at Baylor helped him mask for drug tests.

FYI the reason he went to Baylor? He was on probation for a credit card theft as a minor (17) and the conditions of his probation stopped him from leaving the state of Texas.

Reaction score
A little research says it's a LOT more than just pot.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

Guy apparently had a very rough childhood and was abusing all sorts of things including pot, alcohol, codeine(from cough syrup) and was regularly using before games while in Cleveland.

he explains he didn't get caught in college because a coach at Baylor helped him mask for drug tests.

FYI the reason he went to Baylor? He was on probation for a credit card theft as a minor (17) and the conditions of his probation stopped him from leaving the state of Texas.

I'm talking about since he's been in the NFL. It's only been weed & alcohol.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about since he's been in the NFL. It's only been weed & alcohol.

To be fair IMO there's a huge difference between a guy using pot and alcohol and a guy who admits that much of the time in Cleveland he was getting high and or drunk right before games. I don't think he was hitting a bong on the sideline of course but he literally said in that thing I linked he was using on gamedays before games to get himself ready to play.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair IMO there's a huge difference between a guy using pot and alcohol and a guy who admits that much of the time in Cleveland he was getting high and or drunk right before games. I don't think he was hitting a bong on the sideline of course but he literally said in that thing I linked he was using on gamedays before games to get himself ready to play.
There are many retired players who admit they got high before every game and many players who currently do. I think you are overrating negatives of pot mixed with athletics.

the negative is it is not allowed and if you get caught, problems come up. Outside of that, if the athlete finds he performs better stoned, who cares? A lot of players do it and claim it helps them focus during the game and drown out the nonsense, distractions, noise and etc.

Drinking before games would be an issue absolutely.

Drinking cough syrup as a teenager I really dont care about. A lot of people were drinking cough syrup as teenagers back then.

Rottweiler

Reaction score
the negative is it is not allowed and if you get caught, problems come up. Outside of that, if the athlete finds he performs better stoned, who cares? A lot of players do it and claim it helps them focus during the game and drown out the nonsense, distractions, noise and etc.

Sorry but couldn't disagree more. For as many people that say they are a functioning THC consumer there are just as many that will make the claim about a stiff drink.

In no way should a person be using pot or alcohol hours before a game. Doing so is reckless to their own safety or other players on the field.

Doing so the night before is most likely only a risk to the player making that choice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but couldn't disagree more. For as many people that say they are a functioning THC consumer there are just as many that will make the claim about a stiff drink.

In no way should a person be using pot or alcohol hours before a game. Doing so is reckless to their own safety or other players on the field.

Doing so the night before is most likely only a risk to the player making that choice.

Gordon told GQ he had a pregame ritual where he would take bong rips and/or shots of Grand Marnier or whiskey before kick-off.

“I would drink probably like half a glass, or a couple shots to try and warm my system up,” he said. “To get the motor running. That’s what I would do for games.”

Gordon estimated he had something in his system for “probably every game of [his] career,” including those in college. Gordon said he also frequently missed meetings and often showed up late — with bloodshot eyes.

-----------

Yeah I always say the same thing about guys who test positive at the combine. That they smoke pot doesn't bother me, that they can't stop long enough to test clean at the combine knowing they're going to be tested, bothers me.

In this case I truly hope the guy is better than he used to be but hearing someone say he's never played a game at the college or pro level where he wasn't on something before the game concerns the hell out of me.

But BRR is right lots of these guys get shot up with painkillers and other things too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol

ok

Tell that to the elite athletes who say they got high before football games all the time. I'll take their words over yours.

And being stoned endangering others on a football field. That's comical. What about being high could possibly be reckless to others safety while running on a field?

you can have your opinion but stating it as fact is a bit much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose