#claimFlashGordon

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the downside? He has a $2 million cap charge that is already 7/16 paid by New England. Is he going to teach Keesean Johnson how to smoke weed?

C’mon.

He just might :shrug:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would absolutely kick the tires here, and if you wouldn't, I'm really not sure why. Barely zero risk on a roster with no guys that have size or the ability to stretch the field.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What’s the downside? He has a $2 million cap charge that is already 7/16 paid by New England. Is he going to teach Keesean Johnson how to smoke weed?

C’mon.

Will that make Keesean Johnson run faster? If yes, I am all for it!

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
There's something going on behind the scenes here. If Gordon was still capable of being a dominant receiver or even a good one, the Patriots would not have let him go so easily. They've stuck by him for quite awhile, so why now?

Along with that, he's not a car. You just don't kick the tires on him, especially with all his past drug problems. He hasn't looked like he can stretch the field like he used to.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There's something going on behind the scenes here. If Gordon was still capable of being a dominant receiver or even a good one, the Patriots would not have let him go so easily. They've stuck by him for quite awhile, so why now?

Along with that, he's not a car. You just don't kick the tires on him, especially with all his past drug problems. He hasn't looked like he can stretch the field like he used to.

To be fair, though, he'd hardly be the 1st talented receiver that just couldn't fit in with their system.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean, he's probably about to get suspended again, but has he ever been a locker room cancer? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know enough about him. If not, then sure, bring him in. If he gets suspended, what have we lost?

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
The only time he's played a full season was his rookie year. I like the way he plays but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta wonder they were all in on Antonio Brown until it became impossible to still be in on him. Now he's MUCH better than Gordon but if they were willing to take the risk on Brown why are they giving up on Gordon?

I'd pass but I guess I wouldn't be furious if we took a look

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
what is the risk? I’m being honest here. He is a free agent after this season.

K9, i'm only speculating, but here's one thing that might stop the Cardinals from bringing a player like Gordon.

It's that we have a rookie head coach, and a discredited front office, that are both probably having to work pretty hard to establish and maintain the kind of culture that they envision will be best for the team going forward.

Bringing in a "colorful" personality like Josh could possibly impede their efforts.

After last years crash and burn, we're starting over. We're nursing a rookie QB, and while we have a few leaders on the team (Fitz and perhaps C Jones), there are not a lot of guys on the roster with long tenures (and we can't really count PP21 to be a stalwart organizational supporter).

I could be wrong, but focusing on team chemistry as we go through a challenging season might be more wise than adding a guy who could get us from 6-10 to 7-9, but could also interfere in the process of K2 and K1 portraying themselves as leaders not just on the field, but in the locker room as well.

But I won't belabor the point beyond this. I'll give you the last word if you'd like it sir.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
K9, i'm only speculating, but here's one thing that might stop the Cardinals from bringing a player like Gordon.

It's that we have a rookie head coach, and a discredited front office, that are both probably having to work pretty hard to establish and maintain the kind of culture that they envision will be best for the team going forward.

Bringing in a "colorful" personality like Josh could possibly impede their efforts.

After last years crash and burn, we're starting over. We're nursing a rookie QB, and while we have a few leaders on the team (Fitz and perhaps C Jones), there are not a lot of guys on the roster with long tenures (and we can't really count PP21 to be stalwart organizational supporter).

I could be wrong, but focusing on team chemistry as we go through a challenging season might be more wise than adding a guy who could get us from 6-10 to 7-9, but could also interfere in the process of K2 and K1 portraying themselves as leaders not just on the field, but in the locker room as well.

But I won't belabor the point beyond this. I'll give you the last word if you'd like it sir.
The thing is, everyone says great things about Gordon's character in general, just that he has an unfortunate substance abuse problem.

Go back and look at a few articles, Gordon never did anything bad to his teammates or complained. If drug and alcohol testing weren't a thing (I'd argue it shouldn't be), he would have missed very few games over his career.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I do want to caveat my post - Gordon has done some bad things in his past (was part of a youth gang, was arrested for a DUI), but those things besides the substance issues appear to be very much a part of his past from the way all reporters and teammates talk about him.

He's just not an AB or Incognito style headcase that can splinter a locker room or whatever.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wait wait. It's part of his past?

I do want to caveat my post - Gordon has done some bad things in his past (was part of a youth gang, was arrested for a DUI), but those things besides the substance issues appear to be very much a part of his past from the way all reporters and teammates talk about him.

He's just not an AB or Incognito style headcase that can splinter a locker room or whatever.

So, what are you wanting to do, bring him in or not? Even though, "besides the substance abuse" problems.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's cheap to claim him
Considering our bad receiving corp, where a 36 years old player is still by far the best in the unit, should be an obvious choice

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wait wait. It's part of his past?

So, what are you wanting to do, bring him in or not? Even though, "besides the substance abuse" problems.
I would say bring him in if we can, yes. There's very little to lose, and way more talent there than we have on the roster currently. Kick the tires for the second half of the season, see if he's worth re-signing on the cheap, have a guy who has the potential to play like the best receiver in the league.

It's definitely preferable to some of the trade suggestions thrown out there.