Letting Chriss go was a mistake

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
In theory trading TJ sounds great.

When was the last time the suns traded a significant expiring contract for an impact player?

Seems like its always discussed but never happens.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, thank you.... let's hope they do it again

It was James Jones who did that also. I know he hasn't been here long but since he has done something like before, I'll give him credit and hold out a little more hope that it can be repeated with Tyler Johnson's contract.

The deal for Tyler Johnson can also fall in that category, in a way, since Ryan Anderson had a deal with a lower guaranteed amount, which made it more attractive in a trade than Anderson himself. It allowed Miami to clear an extra $5-6 million from their books.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In theory trading TJ sounds great.

When was the last time the suns traded a significant expiring contract for an impact player?

Seems like its always discussed but never happens.
Mozgov and Russell for Lopez.

Big expirings and young players for a star is a fairly common scenario. Let’s see who is disgruntled around the deadline. TJ’s deal plus one of the young players can put the Suns in the picture. Or he can be a big expiring for us.

back to the original question though. I think the player I would let go/not sign to keep Chris’s would be Diallo.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mozgov and Russell for Lopez.

Big expirings and young players for a star is a fairly common scenario. Let’s see who is disgruntled around the deadline. TJ’s deal plus one of the young players can put the Suns in the picture. Or he can be a big expiring for us.

except the trade you just listed has nothing to do with expirings or stars. Mozgov had 3 years left on his deal and Lopez wasn't even close to a star. That was just a salary dump by the Lakers who had to sweeten the pot by throwing in a promising young guy for another expiring contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
except the trade you just listed has nothing to do with expirings or stars. Mozgov had 3 years left on his deal and Lopez wasn't even close to a star. That was just a salary dump by the Lakers who had to sweeten the pot by throwing in a promising young guy for another expiring contract.
The Lakers moved a promising young player to dump salary. An expiring can help in a situation like that.

maybe he won’t be traded. But I would not cut him to have Chriss, because of the potential value of the expiring—even if it’s just potential. Diallo would be the one maybe.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
maybe he won’t be traded. But I would not cut him to have Chriss, because of the potential value of the expiring—even if it’s just potential. Diallo would be the one maybe.

It's more likely that Chriss becomes a serviceable NBA player than it is that Johnson's contract brings back something positive in a trade.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tyler J is a stud...why does everyone want to trade him? His D and hustle leads the 2nd team...and who the hell is this Chriss guy? The name sounds familiar...oh i know why...he freaking sucks

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tyler J is a stud...why does everyone want to trade him? His D and hustle leads the 2nd team...and who the hell is this Chriss guy? The name sounds familiar...oh i know why...he freaking sucks
He's the tall 8-year old who somehow got by the NBA age requirement.

Running away in handcuffs. Amazing!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's the tall 8-year old who somehow got by the NBA age requirement.

Running away in handcuffs. Amazing!

You're confusing Chriss with JJ. Josh Jackson ran away in handcuffs. Chriss is the idiot who released a statement with the Suns saying he was working out in Oregon instead of taking part in Summer League after his rookie year but then showed up an hour later to watch the Summer Suns in Vegas.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about no trade
I do t think anyone is proposing one here. We are just talking about who on this roster you would have cut in order to keep Chriss. You vote no one I assume. Can’t really argue with that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You're confusing Chriss with JJ. Josh Jackson ran away in handcuffs. Chriss is the idiot who released a statement with the Suns saying he was working out in Oregon instead of taking part in Summer League after his rookie year but then showed up an hour later to watch the Summer Suns in Vegas.
Oops, thanks.

We've had our share!

This roster shows we're better off without both of them.

The team's obligation should be about winning.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers moved a promising young player to dump salary. An expiring can help in a situation like that.

sure... but you said it could be used to get a star. that's different. Russell was in no way shape or form a star at that point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave