Matthew Berry Cardinals Rant

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These fantasy experts think they’re entitled to this information, but like Berry even alluded to, there’s some gamesmanship and strategy involved in certain personnel decisions.

This was a completely unnecessary visceral response. Berry is a lunatic.

What struck me is how he said oh I'm a loser as a fantasy manager because I believed you. Like that's how he sees himself as a fantasy manager. Yes you "manage" your team pick who to start etc, that's it. He's mad because he's getting paid to do this on ESPN and he told people DJ is going to play go ahead and start him and it was wrong.

I did the same thing( started Chase too) but who the hell cares I'm a Cards fan if I start our entire team and we win and I don't win my fantasy game I'm still happy because we won. I think Kliff did the right thing he recognized he needed DJ to win 2 weeks ago and he used him, he realized last week he could probably win without DJ, in fact in the beginning it was to his advantage to play CHase because he's much quicker and more explosive so the runs he was using were working better with Chase.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The OP rejoices in attacking the Cards and posting negative stuff. Not constructive or happy making at all.

I'm actually really happy that the Cardinals pulled this game plan off. Run the ball, dont turn the ball over, and pressure their QB. It is literally the same game plan the NY football Giants used to use on the Cardinals every year.
I’ve been on this site for over 17 years kind of sadistic if I’m just here to hate the cardinals lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fantasy Football sucks.
Takes too much time, I tried it for a couple yrs in the late 90's. 99-00 I believe? Problem was back then, the Packers would be playing the Cardinals, Brett Favre would be my QB, I would have to root for Favre throwing 5 TD's & the Cardinals scoring 6. I couldn't stand any player I had playing against my Cardinals. I got fed up with that part & the time it took to set the lineups on a computer with dial up internet lol, so I quit. Never again.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like fantasy football and think it’s fun. I was pissed the cardinals did that with Johnson too. But I get why they did it but I don’t agree with the logic.

I doubt the giants would change their defense much at all based on a RB. Their defense is based on the cards scheme.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
First: Fantasy Football is my fourth Job. I routinely win money. DFS and Year Long.

Second:

Any true Cardinal fan played both, including me in both leagues I had DJ. The writing was on the wall the moment DJ Foster got hurt and was inactive. There was no way we go into a game with only 2RB's and YOU DONT hedge if you have the opportunity.

It's the Non-Cardinals fans that should have the issue. They don't keep up on the local news. Or the way the snap counts have changed over the last 3 weeks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like fantasy football and think it’s fun. I was pissed the cardinals did that with Johnson too. But I get why they did it but I don’t agree with the logic.

I doubt the giants would change their defense much at all based on a RB. Their defense is based on the cards scheme.

So you would risk DJs health in that situation?

Makes no sense. Chase is/was completely healthy and is probably a better pure runner anyway.

The Cardinals were down to 2 healthy RBs....and one them was questionable to begin with.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
First: Fantasy Football is my fourth Job. I routinely win money. DFS and Year Long.

Second:

Any true Cardinal fan played both, including me in both leagues I had DJ. The writing was on the wall the moment DJ Foster got hurt and was inactive. There was no way we go into a game with only 2RB's and YOU DONT hedge if you have the opportunity.

It's the Non-Cardinals fans that should have the issue. They don't keep up on the local news. Or the way the snap counts have changed over the last 3 weeks.

Didn't play Chase last week but I preemptively picked him up last week as I see KK starting to integrate him more into the gameplay. He is a must start now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. Fantasy is a crapshoot just like the real league. I picked up Chase early this season but wasn't getting much value. Dropped him and he goes off for 3 TD's. Had DJ and Kyler starting on one team, too. It is what it is. Give me a Cardinals' win and zero fantasy points any day of the week.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol. Some of you guys need a life if this gets you riled up. worries me for your health.

1. he’s right. He’s not saying they should’ve told everyone DJ wasn’t playing. He admits that’s gamesmanship and should be expected. He’s saying if DJ is so banged up that they’ll only use him in an emergency why are they risking him in even a single play? I agree.

2. he’s more pissed about the cardinals trolling people. And frankly, I agree with him. Why the F is a franchise who hasn’t had a great following making fun of fans that actually follow their team and/or players? Guess what? A fantasy football fan who rode DJ to a championship might buy his jersey. Voila cashola and exposure for the team. But trolling them? Fans? Cmon. Troll another team or another teams fans, but not fans of your team and your players. Kinda stupid. Makes me think the cards marketing people are stupid.

3. For all of you that poo poo fantasy football, you’re missing out. I’ve been playing since 1988. One continuous league with largely same guys from law school since 1991. That’s 28 years. It’s a reason to get together in a different city every year for a draft. It’s a reason to stay in touch even though we are sprinkled across the country. It’s a reason to enjoy football during many lean years of cardinal football. And finally, if you have a good bunch of friends playing, it’s actually fun.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Silliness.

Its called gambling......thus its a gamble

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals twitter was out of the line. I also believe the response is deliberately over the top to get discussions like this.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Cardinals twitter cares about Cardinals football.

Fantasy Football players care about thier wallets.

Thus Cardinals twitter does not care about fantasy football, just Cardinals wins.

If you started a banged up David Johnson, and didn't start Edmunds after the last three weeks of productivity out of him......well, its the job of the fantasy owner to do thier reasearch. I tried to pick up Edmunds 3 weeks ago, and someone else snatched him up.

Now talking about a fantasy football "expert". How does he NOT KNOW what is going on in Arizona? He has all day, literally, to find out information.

If he, or anyone is all butt hurt because Cardinals twitter cares more about the Cardinals (who sign thier checks), than fantasy football, and AFTER getting an "earfull" from fantasy owners, threw some shade in the upset fantady people, well, thats on them.

Silliness, in the highest level of silliness.

Not the 1st time this has happened in fantasy football, and won't be the last.

Also, Berry is a HORRIBLE fantasy football analyst. He is the pot calling the kettle black.

Wonder how many times his "expert analysis" cost people money. Cause he is just awful at what he does.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like playing with friends but I have to admit there are things about it that drive me absolutely nuts. We are using the NFL app from NFL.com. They have this hints feature, on computer it's one thing, on the phone app it's a snickers commercial app. Basically it tells you which changes to make in your lineup. I had it two weeks in a row on computer where it told me start X bench Y, so I did that, and then i reloaded and it said, start Y bench X, totally useless. The phone one is often worse it ignores injuries or it just tells you X is projected to score 5 more than Y with no idea why that's the projection. When my draft ended this year I was projected to go 1-12, I'm 5-2 and have the highest total points in the league. That's not bragging it's me pointing out how bad their projections are. I've made changes since the draft yes but mostly replacing players they liked with players I liked. I have lots of points because the guy who runs the league changed the scoring again this year and it seems to greatly favor RB's so I have Cook, DJ, Chase, Carlos Hyde. I had 3 of those 4 after the draft I picked up Chase so I'm averaging over 100 points a week from 3 RB's usually Cook, DJ and Hyde. With our scoring system 100 points is terrible, you have to be pushing 200 to have a good point total and I'm getting more than half of that from 3 players.

Since they knew our scoring system why was my draft ranked so poorly? Because I messed up and didn't turn off my queue so I ended up with 4 QB's(Wilson, Kyler, Mayfield and Winston) and not enough WR's. But in our league WR's are an afterthought I had Marvin 4 TD Jones on my bench Sunday and I still won because of Cook and Chase. And yes we're all complaining about the scoring change it's skewed the league too much RB's are just way too important in our league this year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals twitter was out of the line. I also believe the response is deliberately over the top to get discussions like this.

I'm with you and @Ouchie-Z-Clown on this one.....

I listened to the entire rant this morning on the podcast and he was mostly on point IMO. Only issue I had was that he said the person running the account should be fired. Joke or not, that's a bad look IMO. He did try to walk it back a bit but not fully.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm with you and @Ouchie-Z-Clown on this one.....

I listened to the entire rant this morning on the podcast and he was mostly on point IMO. Only issue I had was that he said the person running the account should be fired. Joke or not, that's a bad look IMO. He did try to walk it back a bit but not fully.

If the twitter guy should get fired for being a wise guy, Berry should have been fired years ago for being so ignorant at his job.

Just sayin'

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I don’t know which is more dumb, the Cardinals tweet or people allowing themselves to be trolled over Fantasy Football.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know which is more dumb, the Cardinals tweet or people allowing themselves to be trolled over Fantasy Football.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How does one “allow” oneself to be trolled? You are either trolled or not. You can’t control another’s actions. You can control your reaction to their trolling. But you can’t actually control the troll.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
How does one “allow” oneself to be trolled? You are either trolled or not. You can’t control another’s actions. You can control your reaction to their trolling. But you can’t actually control the troll.
I base trolling on success of riling people up. If someone says stuff to attempt to troll and nobody cares, I don’t consider that person a troll, more like a wannabe troll.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I base trolling on success of riling people up. If someone says stuff to attempt to troll and nobody cares, I don’t consider that person a troll, more like a wannabe troll.
Trolling is trolling. How riled up you get people just explains just how effective the trolling was. That being said I do think some people are very much overreacting the the Cards tweet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the twitter guy should get fired for being a wise guy, Berry should have been fired years ago for being so ignorant at his job.

Just sayin'

I don't think the Twitter guy should be fired but he clearly is the root cause of the situation.