15 thoughts - Giants game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – This was an early game on the east coast, in the rain, and even against a team coming of a mini bye with 10 days since their last game. That is tough conditions.

2 – The first quarter was Kliff Kingsbury in full smash. Great job with the scripted plays!

3 – The Cardinals lead the league in forced fumbles with 12, and they have the fewest giveaways with 4.

4 – Time to give D.J. Humphries some love. He is playing really well.

5 – When they signed Jordan Hicks, one of the things many talked about was his ability to drop into coverage and make interceptions.

6 – Big players make big plays in big games. Case in point: Chandler Jones.

7 – Kyler Murray just keeps on spreading the ball around to basically everyone. Nine different receivers.

8 – I really, really like Budda Baker, but he is a pretty big liability in coverage. Don’t use him as the deep safety. Move him up in the box.

9 – Corey Peters is a highly underrated player, but, good grief, it is impossible to underrate his sack dance.

10 – Two major mistakes by Kyler Murray: 1: Holding on to the ball on third down in the second quarter, running backwards and being sacked, after which the Giants blocks the punt and score a touchdowns, and 2: Running out of bounds with a little more than two minutes left in the 4th quarter. Please learn from it, Kyler.

11 – Two major plays by Dennis Gardeck: 1: Block punt on their first drive in the second half. 2: Limiting and stopping the Giants’ punt return inside their own 15 yard line before the Giants’ last drive in the game.

12 – Two times in a relatively short period that Patrick Peterson has let us all down, but still, that guy sure is important on the field.

13 – Man, that was a big win for the defense.

14 – For all the criticism Keim takes for his draft abilities, he sure can pick runningbacks, huh? David Johnson, Chase Edmonds, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor (Spencer Ware? Jay Ajayi?)

15 – Does Fox har their Tony Romo? Wow, Greg Olsen was a good color analyst!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Always look forward to this.....

#6: & Patrick Peterson

#7: this is the Air Raid's version of Balance. Run vs. Pass is insignificant. How often all 5 recievers touch the ball is true balance. That's the Mike Leach way.

#8: AGREED!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#8-On the Giants first TD, it looked like Baker just froze. He was in perfect position to make a play on the ball but didn't.

#15-I don't understand. Would you explain.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
4. He is playing well but needs to quit holding so much lol.

8. Baker needs to play close to the LOS. He made me so mad Sunday, just stood there & let the TE score the TD when he could've made a play on the ball. I wanted to throw my remote at the tv.

9. Corey Peters literally pushes his man into the QB all the time, unbelievably strong & he played football at my school, the University of Kentucky.

14. Steve Keim knows RB's no doubt.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can’t add much more to this. All great points. I will add the entire offensive line who have benefited by good health and learning how to play in front of a mobile qb.
People have given Steve Keim grief about all his draft failures, mainly the OL draftees & FA OL signings, I get it. However, not many give him credit for things he gets right. KM, KK, the RB's through the yrs, this whole OL is all his & the kicker to it is this, he was the one that wanted to hire Sean Kugler as our OL coach. The Vikings & Jets wanted him badly & when he arrived in Phoenix, SK was hell bent on giving him whatever he wanted so he wouldn't make the interviews in Minnesota & New York. He knows how good of an OL coach he is & had the vision & sense to hire him, that gives him some credit imo. Sean Kugler is coaching this OL into a damn good unit & SK gave him the players to make it work. Hopefully they stay healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. He is playing well but needs to quit holding so much lol.

8. Baker needs to play close to the LOS. He made me so mad Sunday, just stood there & let the TE score the TD when he could've made a play on the ball. I wanted to throw my remote at the tv.

9. Corey Peters literally pushes his man into the QB all the time, unbelievably strong & he played football at my school, the University of Kentucky.

14. Steve Keim knows RB's no doubt.

I thought the first hold on him was a bad call it was a makeup because they didn't overturn the PI call IMO. I'm ok with holding if the alternative is you give up a sack or a big play by the defense. And in the NFL so many holds get missed I'm ok. Look at their 2 TD's by the offense Chandler Jones blatantly held on the TD pass to the TE, and then #74 literally tackles a Cards DL on the TD run by Barkley and that "block" is what allowed Barkley to score.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have given Steve Keim grief about all his draft failures, mainly the OL draftees & FA OL signings, I get it. However, not many give him credit for things he gets right. KM, KK, the RB's through the yrs, this whole OL is all his & the kicker to it is this, he was the one that wanted to hire Sean Kugler our OL coach. The Vikings & Jets wanted him badly & when he arrived in Phoenix, SK was hell bent on giving him whatever he wanted so he wouldn't make the interviews in Minnesota & New York. He knows how good of an OL coach he is & had the vision & sense to hire him, that gives him some credit imo. Sean Kugler is coaching this OL into a damn good unit & SK gave him the players to make it work. Hopefully they stay healthy.
Can’t argue your point. However, Keim has come up short an awful lot in the past 3 years so I’m not quite ready to give him to much credit.

I’m wondering how much better this o- line will be when a healthy Garcia and Gilbert are added back in the mix.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought the first hold on him was a bad call it was a makeup because they didn't overturn the PI call IMO. I'm ok with holding if the alternative is you give up a sack or a big play by the defense. And in the NFL so many holds get missed I'm ok. Look at their 2 TD's by the offense Chandler Jones blatantly held on the TD pass to the TE, and then #74 literally tackles a Cards DL on the TD run by Barkley and that "block" is what allowed Barkley to score.
Omg, yes, they were mugging Jones on that TD to the TE ( the one that BB just stood there on, still pissed about that) he had 3 guys holding him, one was holding him so badly, that his jersey was being lifted, exposing his stomach, yet no call.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can’t argue your point. However, Keim has come up short an awful lot in the past 3 years so I’m not quite ready to give him to much credit.

I’m wondering how much better this o- line will be when a healthy Garcia and Gilbert are added back in the mix.
He has came up short plenty for sure, just saying everyone brings up only the negative stuff about SK for the most part & not the good. Garcia I have no clue because I have yet to see him play a down for us. Gilbert they should get him healthy & tell him he's gonna have to compete with Justin Murray for the RT spot next yr, then go draft a good one. Create depth like that. When Gilbert is healthy (not very often) he's still a top 10 tackle in the NFL, not sure how well he'll be after coming back from an ACL tear? Wouldn't hurt to resign him to a cheaper deal to see where he's at next off-season, use his injury as leverage for a prove your health cheaper deal.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
8 – I really, really like Budda Baker, but he is a pretty big liability in coverage. Don’t use him as the deep safety. Move him up in the box.

That's his strength. Apparently VJ likes Brock there. He is moving him around a bit. Who would take Bakers place at saftey? We are already playing one rook back there.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#15-I don't understand. Would you explain.

Of course, Garth. The game was broadcasted on Fox, and they had Greg Olsen in as a color analyst because his employer, the Panthers, is on a bye week (pretty wild to simply do another job when you are on bye), and I thought he was brilliant. I think Tony Romo is a great color analyst on CBS, so I just wondered if Greg Olsen would be equally good when he ends his career.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PFF apparently likes Budda Baker a lot more than this board does.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really can't give him credit for DJ...... We all know the story of Ameer Abdullah by now I hope.

Yes, but I think that is a bit unfair, Jones. Sure, Keim and his team had another runningback ranked higher than David Johnson, but I guess that is how the draft goes. I don’t think Humphries were their highest ranked offensive tackle either. Nkemdiche their highest ranked defensive tackle, Tyrann Mathieu their highest ranked safety, and so on.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's his strength. Apparently VJ likes Brock there. He is moving him around a bit. Who would take Bakers place at saftey? We are already playing one rook back there.

Great point, Wild. I would play the Thompsons. I think the secondary as a whole would still be better. Actually, I would sign one, but that goes a little against the question.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
#8 BB just isn’t a very good player. Been saying it for 2 years. People should just accept that.

But Gambo loves him.

I don't doubt Baker's passion for the game, and I'm sure there are some packages he can excel in, but he does seem to be too limited to be an every down player.

Best player on our roster. Crazy how under-appreciated he is, especially across the league. How did he not make the NFL top 100?

9 – Corey Peters is a highly underrated player, but, good grief, it is impossible to underrate his sack dance.

Whenever he does that, I can hear John Madden from The Replacements saying, ..."and then you get a Fat Guy Dance."

12 – Two times in a relatively short period that Patrick Peterson has let us all down, but still, that guy sure is important on the field.

That Patrick Peterson Corner Blitz to essentially end the game was so reminiscent of Aeneas Williams. Personally, the way they throw flags in today's game, I was surprised he didn't get a roughing call. Great, great play from P2. Phenomenal call by Vance Joseph. No risk it, no biscuit moment by the defense.

14 – For all the criticism Keim takes for his draft abilities...

All GM's have misses, which always makes them an easy scapegoat. I'm just as pissed about his DUI arrest as everyone else, but I also lived though the George Boone era... Keim remains a blessing. I'll light the torches for the mob on his next alcohol infraction... barring that, I'll remain in his corner.

Cards have been a fun team to watch this year. Sure, the bar was set low after last seasons debacle, but we are clearly moving in the right direction.

Go Cards!!!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
PFF apparently likes Budda Baker a lot more than this board does.
I think the couple plays per game that he fails to make is what really sticks out to us, but I suspect he isn't as bad through the entire game as the board tends to suggest.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, thanks. I watched the game live but w/o the sound. I did read, in another thread that some fans thought he was too biased towards the Giants. Guess you didn't feel that way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
#8 BB just isn’t a very good player. Been saying it for 2 years. People should just accept that.
Yup. I’ve been on this side of the table for the last two years as well. Just isn’t good. If you want a box guy just add a bigger player.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the couple plays per game that he fails to make is what really sticks out to us, but I suspect he isn't as bad through the entire game as the board tends to suggest.
His play could be better, but I can’t remember a game in his career where he was a bottom 3 starter in a game that day.

That play where he let up on that TD pass was bad, but he played good in the run game against Barkley & had a key breakup before the Peterson sack.

Feel like people expect him to be Charles Woodson even though that was never his game coming out of college.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
His play could be better, but I can’t remember a game in his career where he was a bottom 3 starter in a game that day.

That play where he let up on that TD pass was bad, but he played good in the run game against Barkley & had a key breakup before the Peterson sack.

Feel like people expect him to be Charles Woodson even though that was never his game coming out of college.
He's a solid safety, but he just isn't the ball hawking play-maker that we could really use at the position. Hopefully one of the Thompson's can become that guy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

with ya here. he's totally the "No Play" Raynoch Thompson of this Cardinals era.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
2 – The first quarter was Kliff Kingsbury in full smash. Great job with the scripted plays!

It felt like we could have scored a million points in the 1st quarter.

3 – The Cardinals lead the league in forced fumbles with 12, and they have the fewest giveaways with 4.

Gives us hope at home against the Rams. If we can get Goff to turn it over a couple of times, we might be able to steal that one. Maybe.

His stats this year are gross. 8.5 sacks (3rd in the NFL), 4 FF, and three fumble recoveries. We're probably 2-5 without him on the field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave