Colin Cowherd on the major difference from Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is all pretty fair.

the thing that scares me the most about Kyler isn't the player, but the coaches teaching him and GM putting talent around him. Coach Gosling is super suspect and Keim is just a complete waste of NFL space.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Can u just post what's the difference
Can't play the video at work

Cowherd says Murray's lack of starts in college football and the roster around him compared to other QBs means he can't have a definitive opinion on him long term.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can u just post what's the difference
Can't play the video at work

He says that Murray has been playing baseball/dividing his attention for the last X years. He's just learning to play football. Wilson settled on Football in college and has played a ton of it — 2 year starter at NCState and then a year at Wisky.

Russel Wilson was dropped into a Super Bowl ready team and asked to make 2-3 big plays a game. Murray is being asked to make magic happen on every play, basically. He's making things up as he goes along, and not doing a terrible job of it.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He says that Murray has been playing baseball/dividing his attention for the last X years. He's just learning to play football. Wilson settled on Football in college and has played a ton of it — 2 year starter at NCState and then a year at Wisky.

Russel Wilson was dropped into a Super Bowl ready team and asked to make 2-3 big plays a game. Murray is being asked to make magic happen on every play, basically. He's making things up as he goes along, and not doing a terrible job of it.

Yup, completely agree with his assessment. I said the same thing about Big Ben when he first started for Pitt. Just like Seattle, they had great defenses, great running games, good OL. That's why drafting QB in the 1st round two years in a row was stupid on many levels. It didn't matter who the QB was here, they didn't have the pieces around them to succeed. That's why a few were advocating for DL/OL picks. The rest were just foaming at the mouth for Murray. I hope they are able to put a qualify team around him before his rookie contract ends.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Yup, completely agree with his assessment. I said the same thing about Big Ben when he first started for Pitt. Just like Seattle, they had great defenses, great running games, good OL. That's why drafting QB in the 1st round two years in a row was stupid on many levels. It didn't matter who the QB was here, they didn't have the pieces around them to succeed. That's why a few were advocating for DL/OL picks. The rest were just foaming at the mouth for Murray. I hope they are able to put a qualify team around him before his rookie contract ends.

I agree with your take, but ultimately, I think in 3-4 years down the line, we have the potential to be a significantly better team with K1 vs Rosen. There is no doubt the Wilkes/Rosen season pushed back our rebuild a season, but IMO, when we do come out of it, we'll do so with a higher ceiling.

Go Cards!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like Cowherd at all but he's pretty dead on here. Same point I've made before Kyler just didn't play enough in college to get a good read on him. Given how inexperienced he is, I think he's done quite well but he's just not played enough and it's showing. He threw 519 passes in college and 121 of those were in 2015 with A&M. He's going to throw more passes in his rookie NFL season than his entire college career at the pace he's going.

I like the kid, I think he clearing has a higher ceiling than Rosen, I just hope he gets the coaching he needs here.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Major difference, was/is Seattle D. It wasn't 'On' Wilson at the start, and for the first couple couple seasons really. Anything he brought was icing and once they had leads they rarely gave them up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This was kinda like one of those ugly Wilson wins his rookie year.

The difference to me is Wilson was a touchdown maker. For some reason not a lot of TDs from Kyler. I also think Kyler needs to get use to playing at top speed.

He's faster than Wilson, but doesn't always play that way.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
This was kinda like one of those ugly Wilson wins his rookie year.

The difference to me is Wilson was a touchdown maker. For some reason not a lot of TDs from Kyler. I also think Kyler needs to get use to playing at top speed.

He's faster than Wilson, but doesn't always play that way.

Kyler Murray will only play a few games during his career with rain literally pouring down for almost the entirety of the game

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sooner Lou, remember you're talking about Wilson who has been in the League for a number of years. And you're comparing him to a rookie who has played all of seven games. I know we can't expect CC to do it, but if you really want to compare the two QB's, who have to look at Wilson's first seven games. All I know is that Wilson was playing on a better team.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Seattle D and rushing attack carried their team early on. Wilson obviously came into a winning culture."

"The difference to me is Wilson was a touchdown maker. For some reason not a lot of TDs from Kyler. I also think Kyler needs to get use to playing at top speed."

Ehh, wrong.

Apples-apples comparison, here, Russell Wilson's first 7 games versus Kyler's first 7.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nearly the same record, better passing for substantially more yards, fewer picks, better rushing, and more total TDs. Sacks are obviously a concern but over a third of those came in one game.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacks are obviously a concern but over a third of those came in one game.

And several of those were sacks created by Murray hanging onto the ball too long rather than throwing it away. Those can be reduced moving forward (one would hope).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
"Seattle D and rushing attack carried their team early on. Wilson obviously came into a winning culture."

"The difference to me is Wilson was a touchdown maker. For some reason not a lot of TDs from Kyler. I also think Kyler needs to get use to playing at top speed."

Ehh, wrong.

Apples-apples comparison, here, Russell Wilson's first 7 games versus Kyler's first 7.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nearly the same record, better passing for substantially more yards, fewer picks, better rushing, and more total TDs. Sacks are obviously a concern but over a third of those came in one game.

I mean, if you're only looking at counting stats, I guess you're right. But Murray is scoring TDs on approximately 3% of his touches (rushes + attempts), and Wilson was finding the end zone at about a 30% faster clip (3.8%). Murray is throwing for 6.8 YPA and Russ was throwing for 7.0. Those efficiency numbers matter, because Murray is being asked to carry more of the load than Russ was.

Oh, and the other thing. The Cards have played 3 of the 10 worst teams in football. In 2012, Seattle played the fourth-hardest schedule in the NFL — in the first 6 games they defeated the 17th (DAL), 5th (GB), 13th (CAR), and 3rd (NE) best teams by DVOA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you're only looking at counting stats, I guess you're right. But Murray is scoring TDs on approximately 3% of his touches (rushes + attempts), and Wilson was finding the end zone at about a 30% faster clip (3.8%). Murray is throwing for 6.8 YPA and Russ was throwing for 7.0. Those efficiency numbers matter, because Murray is being asked to carry more of the load than Russ was.

Oh, and the other thing. The Cards have played 3 of the 10 worst teams in football. In 2012, Seattle played the fourth-hardest schedule in the NFL — in the first 6 games they defeated the 17th (DAL), 5th (GB), 13th (CAR), and 3rd (NE) best teams by DVOA.

True but Wilson also played lots more in college than Murray. I know at this point that's irrelevant, Kyler is our QB so he has to sink or swim but I do think there are things that are just lack of PT with him.

One thing with him at least twice a game he'll go back and stand so flat footed you think the play was blown dead and you just didn't hear the whistle. It's a live ball and it hasn't been an issue yet but it's so strange to see a QB just standing there like he thinks the play is dead.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True but Wilson also played lots more in college than Murray. I know at this point that's irrelevant, Kyler is our QB so he has to sink or swim but I do think there are things that are just lack of PT with him.

One thing with him at least twice a game he'll go back and stand so flat footed you think the play was blown dead and you just didn't hear the whistle. It's a live ball and it hasn't been an issue yet but it's so strange to see a QB just standing there like he thinks the play is dead.

I don't really like the Murray–Wilson comparison. It's almost unavoidable, but to go game-by-game and stack them up really elides the fundamental difference of where they are as prospects and the systems they were in and what they were asked to do. People who are looking at counting stats are also crazy; for better or worse, Murray is being asked to do much more.

What I will say is that the way that Murray scrambles for those first downs must be as frustrating for opponents as it is for us when Russ does it.