The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Iggy was a tough one it was rumored for awhile but I think he really wanted to stay and they really wanted to keep him, just didn't have the money. My understanding with Livingston is it took him awhile to accept he was done. It was pretty apparent he was done but I think he wanted one more go. Even Iggy with his back it was just too hard. The Lakers or Clips would be perfect for him because they won't need him that much in the regular season so they can save him for the playoffs. With the Warriors they were going to need him to play more in the regular season.

Iggy became one of my all time favorite Warrior players, there were times he drove me nuts passing up layups to kick the ball out etc, but he was the consummate team guy. Defended, passed the ball, came off the bench etc great guy.

on the current roster there are really 3 guys who've been through it. I know Draymond has taken Chriss under his wing and I know Curry likes him too but it's a different roster now it's not clear yet if the culture will be anywhere near as good as it was in the past. Let's face it winning cures lots of things. Even then last year they had a toxic situation for months because of the beef with Dray and Durant.

Do you think the change of scenery plays a role in some of the turnover? They're moving from Oakland to San Francisco this year and some key guys won't be there. There's a lot of talk of the players making a team but I think it does go deeper than that. Have they retained most of their front office people, not just the big names like the GM and head scout but all of the people that report to them? I would think making a move like they are has the chance to change a lot about that team. It may not even feel like the Warriors anymore because other than a handful of people, everything is different.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you think the change of scenery plays a role in some of the turnover? They're moving from Oakland to San Francisco this year and some key guys won't be there. There's a lot of talk of the players making a team but I think it does go deeper than that. Have they retained most of their front office people, not just the big names like the GM and head scout but all of the people that report to them? I would think making a move like they are has the chance to change a lot about that team. It may not even feel like the Warriors anymore because other than a handful of people, everything is different.
I never thought about that, but you might onto something there. People in general are creatures of habit. They find calm in the familiar. I’m sure the team made regular contact with day-to-day people around the arena. Security, parking lot guys, cleaning help, etc. the day-to-day employees around the arena. And while I’m sure the warriors staff and administration remained intact to the same degree any staff and administration does in the offseason, I’m also sure not all those day-to-day people came over because they likely lived nearer to the old arena. Losing a familiar face that you bid to every day has a small impact. Having all new faces surrounding you has a potential ripple effect. Not saying it becomes anything material, but just a discomfort. Like am wearing someone else’s clothes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I never thought about that, but you might onto something there. People in general are creatures of habit. They find calm in the familiar. I’m sure the team made regular contact with day-to-day people around the arena. Security, parking lot guys, cleaning help, etc. the day-to-day employees around the arena. And while I’m sure the warriors staff and administration remained intact to the same degree any staff and administration does in the offseason, I’m also sure not all those day-to-day people came over because they likely lived nearer to the old arena. Losing a familiar face that you bid to every day has a small impact. Having all new faces surrounding you has a potential ripple effect. Not saying it becomes anything material, but just a discomfort. Like am wearing someone else’s clothes.

'Good points. But I wonder how much the move will be a factor with the Warriers
remaining not only in the Bay Area, but in a more upscale city than Oakland.

Certainly less of a move than when they originally relocated from Philadelphia.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

When I multiply 4 x $30 million and it's more, I am in awe!

Kelly Oubre had similar stats.

He is the Raptors future though.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Oubre is gonna get paid by someone other than the Suns in 2 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oubre doesn't play anywhere near the level of D Siakam does. And Oubre's got to put up those stats in meaningful basketball games and have them translate to impact as far as wins and losses.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oubre doesn't play anywhere near the level of D Siakam does. And Oubre's got to put up those stats in meaningful basketball games and have them translate to impact as far as wins and losses.
Agreed. Total impact and the importance of the production really matters here. Siakam has been clutch and deserves the max.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised Siakam got paid now. They'll be ok this year but not a title contender by any stretch of the imagination. I would have waited to pay people so they could have money to retool but they shelled out big bucks for a Lowry extension as well as Siakam's new extension. I guess they're kind of paying guys for last year's title now.

Siakam was arguably their 2nd best player for large portions of last season and the playoffs so he was getting maxed out but it was more of a question of when rather than if. They couldn't afford to let him go either, not after Leonard left. He is their future.

I thought they were paying Gasol as well, his deal is up at the end of this year. That will be a difficult one for them because he did help them win the title last year but he was acquired midseason and isn't due for the payday he might ask for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Total impact and the importance of the production really matters here. Siakam has been clutch and deserves the max.

A player needs the right opportunity to prove himself. We will see where Oubre is in two years.

Oubre is 23 and Siakam is 25.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre is gonna get paid by someone other than the Suns in 2 years.

If he doesn't learn how to pay attention on defense then the team that is paying him in 2 years is more likely to be Chinese than someone he snubs the Suns over.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy Heild gets a contract extension from the Kings.
Per someone from the Atheltic.

Just to add on to this. We must follow the same trail. :p

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't think Buddy's game would come around. I know it was only for one season but paying him 22 million for an additional 4 years, better hope he keeps putting the ball in the net at an efficient rate.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Looks like Indiana and Sabonis are are an impasse with contract negotiations. I would do some exploring and see what Sabonis wants and then see if the Suns can make it happen. He would be an excellent partner for Ayton in the front court.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Indiana and Sabonis are are an impasse with contract negotiations. I would do some exploring and see what Sabonis wants and then see if the Suns can make it happen. He would be an excellent partner for Ayton in the front court.

I'm not in favor of trading for players on the verge of a big payday after seeing McD do that multiple times and we saw against last year with Oubre. The Oubre trade was a little different since we traded an expiring contract for him and if that didn't work out, we lost nothing. When McD did that for Bledsoe and again Knight, it put the Suns in a situation where they almost had to pay them in order for those deals to look decent.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
· 8m
Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown has agreed to a four-year, $115M million contract extension, agent Jason Glushon tells ESPN.