#17ASU at #13 Utah-- 3PM Sat Pac12 Network

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Major battle for control of the Pac 12 South. Utah is heavily favored with their usual solid defense (held WSU to 13 points) and a decent offense averaging about 30 points per game. Their only loss was at USC, last week they put up 52 points on Oregon State.

Their schedule doesn't look like its been that difficult. Like us, they are 5-1, but lost their only "tough" game against USC, don't have the road wins like us against Michigan State and Cal. They won 9 games last year, and returned 15 starters to this year's team so I expect that ASU's young team will have their hands full on Saturday.

I think ASU will have a tough time getting their running game going, so I hope Likens is flexible and ready to open up the offense.

Good stuff here
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/10/13/utes-review-after/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot's of people including myself are upset that the Arizona State versus Utah game is only on the PAC 12 Network.

Saturday's game between No. 17 Arizona State and No. 14 Utah, a game that could have huge Pac-12 title implications, will be broadcast exclusively on the Pac-12 Network, a network that isn't available to a lot of the country (including all DirecTV customers).

I have DirecTV as well.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...football-game-only-pac-12-network/3988360002/

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Utah defense is the toughest in the South. Another tough road test for the Devils.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Third road game this season against a top 20 ranked team at the time the game was played.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ASU can pull this off, they will likely vault into top 12 in next week's poll.

If ASU can win at Utah they deserve it. That's a huge "if" though.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If ASU can pull this off, they will likely vault into top 12 in next week's poll.

I'll buy top 15. Top 12 feels to high. Perhaps if there is a bloodbath this weekend between 10 and 16 they may get they high.

First things first....win the game.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mich st and cal are going to look like walks in the park compared to this game.

And that is because Utah, unlike MSU and to a lesser extent Cal, has an offense. Cal has been a tough out this year. The Michigan State win isn't aging well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IMO this is a no lose game for the Devils. If they win woohoo. If they lose it’s no big deal. They’re still playing way above pre-season expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO this is a no lose game for the Devils. If they win woohoo. If they lose it’s no big deal. They’re still playing way above pre-season expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally speaking I think you are right but don't under sell what a victory would mean. You beat Utah and you are in complete control of your destiny in the South. As of now, the goal is to win the South.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man I really, REALLY love what Herm and his staff are doing! And with so many true freshman playing huge mins, their results are all the more impressive.
But the Utes are, by far, the toughest challenge they have yet to face. Utah’s defense is legit, easily the best in the South. Our o-line, which has showed ever-so slight improvement the past 2 weeks, will be thoroughly tested.
I honestly don’t see our line looking too well on Saturday... I see Daniels under constant pressure and running for his life a ton. And poor Eno will have little to no running room whatsoever.
I so hope I’m wrong. But our past performance just doesn’t indicate much, if any success tomorrow...

I’ll go with a prediction of:
Utah: 35
ASU: 17

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I really, REALLY love what Herm and his staff are doing! And with so many true freshman playing huge mins, their results are all the more impressive.
But the Utes are, by far, the toughest challenge they have yet to face. Utah’s defense is legit, easily the best in the South. Our o-line, which has showed ever-so slight improvement the past 2 weeks, will be thoroughly tested.
I honestly don’t see our line looking too well on Saturday... I see Daniels under constant pressure and running for his life a ton. And poor Eno will have little to no running room whatsoever.
I so hope I’m wrong. But our past performance just doesn’t indicate much, if any success tomorrow...

Logically, you are probably correct. The problem is this team seems to defy logic on some levels. I am not saying ASU wins but it wouldn't shock me to see ASU win. This ASU team seems well coached given the collegiate experience of the players. That alone may get them a win against the Utes.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hopefully ASU can move the pocket, roll Daniels out a bit, maybe a few designed runs for him to avoid some sacks, as they are suggesting in the posted preview. ASU has also had some success with the quick short passing game, maybe we'll see some of that as well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hopefully ASU can move the pocket, roll Daniels out a bit, maybe a few designed runs for him to avoid some sacks, as they are suggesting in the posted preview. ASU has also had some success with the quick short passing game, maybe we'll see some of that as well.

I have no doubt that Herm and his staff will have the best game-plan designed for this game. However, the players still need to execute and given how young they are, coupled with how poorly our o-line has played for most of the season thus far, I would be surprised if the Devils pull off a victory. I just don’t see it...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been too busy to listen to the Speak of the Devils podcast this week. Therefore I don't have any knowledge of who has or hasnt been practicing on either side . My head says Utah 27-21. My heart says go devils, and Herm we'll be rooting hard for you to continue to prove me wrong.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Herm and his staff will have the best game-plan designed for this game. However, the players still need to execute and given how young they are, coupled with how poorly our o-line has played for most of the season thus far, I would be surprised if the Devils pull off a victory. I just don’t see it...

Ya, all the "experts" are predicting Utah

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been too busy to listen to the Speak of the Devils podcast this week. Therefore I don't have any knowledge of who has or hasnt been practicing on either side . My head says Utah 27-21. My heart says go devils, and Herm we'll be rooting hard for you to continue to prove me wrong.

I thought someone was saying one of our injured lineman could return, but don't remember.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope ASU can keep it competitive and give themselves a chance to win.

Announcers are really high on Utah defense not to mention their offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose