OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'The Batman' Casts Paul Dano as The Riddler

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-casts-paul-dano-as-riddler-1248494

Filmmaker Matt Reeves has found his Riddler for The Batman. Paul Dano has signed on as the classic villain, Warner Bros. announced Thursday.

Dano's version of the character will be named Edward Nashton, the man who in the comics later goes by the name Edward Nygma and adopts the villainous persona. Frank Gorshin and John Astin played the villain on the 1960s TV series, while Jim Carrey played him in 1995's Batman Forever, which was directed by Joel Schumacher.

Robert Pattinson is starring in The Batman, with Zoe Kravitz set to play Catwoman and Jeffrey Wright on board as Batman ally Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill was at one point eyeing a role as either The Riddler or The Penguin, but the deal did not come to fruition. Reeves has said he plans to include a rogues gallery of Batman villains in the film.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to be real curious what kind of tone this movie has. Will have an epic feel or more closed and tight nit feel to it. Will it have humor or be ultra dark? I just don't get a sense of what he is going for with the casting just yet.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's going to be real curious what kind of tone this movie has. Will have an epic feel or more closed and tight nit feel to it. Will it have humor or be ultra dark? I just don't get a sense of what he is going for with the casting just yet.
My guess is dark. Seems to me pattinson works best if they go gothy like the crow...its the only way i can see him playing batman..... Plus dc has gone through a transition in which their characters have grown up...
Wonder woman is a god and superman kills...aquaman has tattoos.... They have to be forward thinking with the character

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve watched that trailer like 7 times today. Last time I did that for any movie was probably Batman Returns.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Im excited for it and think 2021 may be the year of Pattinson if Tenet gets delayed again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So the new Batman has the Joker, Penguin and Catwoman? Isn’t DC always getting criticism for rushing everything?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the new Batman has the Joker, Penguin and Catwoman? Isn’t DC always getting criticism for rushing everything?

where are you getting Joker from? the main antagonist in this is the riddler and penguin isn't apparently the penguin yet as Colin Ferrel has said he has a small role in this that mostly plants him in the universe for movies down the road.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
where are you getting Joker from? the main antagonist in this is the riddler and penguin isn't apparently the penguin yet as Colin Ferrel has said he has a small role in this that mostly plants him in the universe for movies down the road.

That’s what I meant... Riddler/Penguin/Catwoman. If the Penguin is a cameo setup that would make sense. He is in the trailer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I meant... Riddler/Penguin/Catwoman. If the Penguin is a cameo setup that would make sense. He is in the trailer.

i think it's a little more than a cameo, but not a big part from reports.

from what I've read is they're building a universe where all these characters kind of grown up together. not necessarily starting with their origins, but most are in like year 2 and only become more formidable as they get older.

the cast is really insane. Jeffrey Wright, Colin Ferrel and John Turturro are all incredible actors and Zoe Kravitz hasn't reached their level yet, but she was great in High Fidelity and a couple other roles.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Reeves has gone on record saying that it’s Batman year Two but origin stories for the villains.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
i think it's a little more than a cameo, but not a big part from reports.

from what I've read is they're building a universe where all these characters kind of grown up together. not necessarily starting with their origins, but most are in like year 2 and only become more formidable as they get older.

the cast is really insane. Jeffrey Wright, Colin Ferrel and John Turturro are all incredible actors and Zoe Kravitz hasn't reached their level yet, but she was great in High Fidelity and a couple other roles.

Reeves has gone on record saying that it’s Batman year Two but origin stories for the villains.

That would make some sense. Nolan had the Joker, Two Face and Scarecrow in a film and made it work beautifully.

I watched a youtube breakdown of the trailer and they hinted the film wasn’t even half way done yet. Is it odd for a trailer that soon?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would make some sense. Nolan had the Joker, Two Face and Scarecrow in a film and made it work beautifully.

I watched a youtube breakdown of the trailer and they hinted the film wasn’t even half way done yet. Is it odd for a trailer that soon?

they actually have only shot 25% of the movie so far due to Covid shutting down production back in March.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dug the teaser trailer a lot more.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So were gonna do emo Bruce Wayne huh. The scene where he yelled and hit the glass made me laugh. I just can’t take Robert Pattinson(spelling) serious as a tough guy.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Really not excited for this one. It's hard to get up for something staring Pattinson. Plus we really don't need another Batman reboot. I wish we could get deeper into his story lines.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave