Murray and Minshew

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These sorts of things always drive me nuts and I'm very impressed with Minshew so far.

ESPN has this if we had to vote now thing for MVP etc. For offensive ROY they have Josh Jacobs 3, Terry McLaurin 2 and Minshew 1. Their explanation is his stats are "significantly better" than Kyler Murray.

ESPN literally invented QBR, Murray is at 56.6 12th, Minshew 44.9 20th. Murray has a higher passer rating, more passing yards, a higher %, 100 more rushing yards. Minshew has 9 passing TD's Murray 7, but Murray has 2 rushing TD's Minshew 0. There are 2 areas he's been better, INT's(2 to 4) and YPA 7.4 to 7, and even the INT stat is very misleading Murray has not fumbled once, Minshew has fumbled 7 times.

I have absolutely no issue saying Minshew has been really good, huge surprise, or even that he's been as good or better than Murray(because we just played 2 lousy teams that skew Murray's stats). But to say "significantly better implies they just aren't paying attention.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These sorts of things always drive me nuts and I'm very impressed with Minshew so far.

ESPN has this if we had to vote now thing for MVP etc. For offensive ROY they have Josh Jacobs 3, Terry McLaurin 2 and Minshew 1. Their explanation is his stats are "significantly better" than Kyler Murray.

ESPN literally invented QBR, Murray is at 56.6 12th, Minshew 44.9 20th. Murray has a higher passer rating, more passing yards, a higher %, 100 more rushing yards. Minshew has 9 passing TD's Murray 7, but Murray has 2 rushing TD's Minshew 0. There are 2 areas he's been better, INT's(2 to 4) and YPA 7.4 to 7, and even the INT stat is very misleading Murray has not fumbled once, Minshew has fumbled 7 times.

I have absolutely no issue saying Minshew has been really good, huge surprise, or even that he's been as good or better than Murray(because we just played 2 lousy teams that skew Murray's stats). But to say "significantly better implies they just aren't paying attention.
more wins.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more wins.

Right but the entire point of their own QBR stat is to show which QB has played the best.

Jax is 2-3 with Minshew as a starter, we're 2-3-1 with Murray.

I'm willing to concede that TEN and Den is probably better than Cin and Atlanta.

In reading through the thing I'm inclined to think they posted it before the last game and so they didn't have Kyler's last game for reference.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Minshew. He's an accurate & heady kind of QB. But, Murray is every bit as accurate & cerebral & far, far, more athletic & with a much stronger arm. And, oh btw, Murray is much faster too.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks I hadn't noticed the date but I did wonder if it was old so that explains it.

Also explains who would write one after 6 games. 4 games makes sense quarter of a season

KM gets no love from the national yahoo's regardless. He should have been top 3 through 4 weeks in my opinion. I think that's something we are just going to live with and accept.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A serious FB question. The Jags are loading up with draft picks. Will they look to trade Foles or Minshew? Or has this year taught them that you need QB insurance?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As long as we don't shine on the big stages NFC Championships and SB appearences or multiple post season trips with Murray, he will have to fight for the accolades by ESPN and so on....

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As long as we don't shine on the big stages NFC Championships and SB appearences or multiple post season trips with Murray, he will have to fight for the accolades by ESPN and so on....

By now, we all should realize that ESPN, and the sports media in general, are ever bit as PC in their positions as the mainstream media. The script was written when we fired a minority HC after one season. Some on this board have asked the question, "did they even watch ANY of our games last year"? Understand, that in their eyes, none of that matters. We have committed a cardinal sin. Even though we have a minority QB & a minority backup QB, they will be very slow in their accolades. They want nothing more than to see KK fail, even if it means that K1 has to fail also. I'm not trying to be political here, but we need to understand the climate we live in.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By now, we all should realize that ESPN, and the sports media in general, are ever bit as PC in their positions as the mainstream media. The script was written when we fired a minority HC after one season. Some on this board have asked the question, "did they even watch ANY of our games last year"? Understand, that in their eyes, none of that matters. We have committed a cardinal sin. Even though we have a minority QB & a minority backup QB, they will be very slow in their accolades. They want nothing more than to see KK fail, even if it means that K1 has to fail also. I'm not trying to be political here, but we need to understand the climate we live in.
Not that I disagree but black qb's have even less of a shelf-life then black head-coaches.

Not that I think that ESPN holds a grudge against Bidwill for firing Wilks, but I really think that espn LOVES underdog stories even more. Gardner came out of no where and ****** filled some big shoes while Murray is doing what he suppose to do. Plus Murray isn't a "protypical" qb.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It won't take long for the media to jump on the KM bandwagon. He brings EXCITEMENT to the NFL. The NFL has lost Patrick Mahomes for a while and from the League's POV that is a big hit. Now, if KM shines in the media capitol on Sunday, he'll get a LOT of ink and media coverage. If Daniel Jones outplays him then Jones gets the coverage. Winning and stats do matter most. JMO.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose