Former Referee Tim Donaghy Admits 06 Spurs Series Rigged

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As I recall, it was decided that there was no altercation and that Duncan went on the court to assist his "downed" teammate.
That was technically what our guys did too. Since Nash was "downed" by that hit by Horry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was technically what our guys did too. Since Nash was "downed" by that hit by Horry.

The difference being that our situation was considered an active altercation and their's was not.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I will say this, I don't think Tim Duncan would have been suspended like Amare and Diaw were suspended under similar circumstances in the Suns versus Spurs playoff series.

What kind of tradeoff was that... Horry for Amare and Diaw when the game was essentially over.

Horry took a shot at Raja after the hip check. I believe that’s what he was suspended for and they made it two games to try to overcompensate.

As poopy as the entire situation was the bottom line is Amare and Boris should’ve been smarter even though they were just defending their best player getting cheapshotted.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Ahh the days when we were good enough to have to have more than just the flopping spurs trying to stop us.

seems like forever ago. Still hurts a bit, but all the years of straight terrible basketball have numbed the pain a bit

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Every time this floating turd is given an audience god kills a puppy.

He just needs to shut up and go away.

I still have PTSD from that series.

Even reading the title to this thread made me wanna put my foot through a television.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh the days when we were good enough to have to have more than just the flopping spurs trying to stop us.

seems like forever ago. Still hurts a bit, but all the years of straight terrible basketball have numbed the pain a bit

It would be great to be relevant again. However, it still hurts especially when we talk about what could have been.

The Spurs no longer being the team they once were helps some.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horry took a shot at Raja after the hip check. I believe that’s what he was suspended for and they made it two games to try to overcompensate.

As ****** as the entire situation was the bottom line is Amare and Boris should’ve been smarter even though they were just defending their best player getting cheapshotted.

In the end, the commissioner made decisions that benefited the aggressor. This is what stings the most.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the end, the commissioner made decisions that benefited the aggressor. This is what stings the most.

Agreed. I've always felt that Stern should have stepped in and made the penalties more fair. Our guys deserved to be suspended BUT there's no way that the cheap shot artist and the team he played for should have benefitted from that action. Stat and Diaw should have been suspended for the first available playoff or regular season game following the Spurs series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've always felt that Stern should have stepped in and made the penalties more fair. Our guys deserved to be suspended BUT there's no way that the cheap shot artist and the team he played for should have benefitted from that action. Stat and Diaw should have been suspended for the first available playoff or regular season game following the Spurs series.

Or minimally staggered the suspensions. Both Amare and Diaw should not have been suspended for the same playoff game game against the Spurs.

It was essentially gifting a win to the Spurs because the Suns didn't have any other players that could deal with Duncan.

I'm glad Stern is no longer the NBA commissioner.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every time this floating turd is given an audience god kills a puppy.

He just needs to shut up and go away.

I still have PTSD from that series.

Even reading the title to this thread made me wanna put my foot through a television.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom, an avid Suns fan since their founding, basically quit the NBA after that and hasn't come back.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My mom, an avid Suns fan since their founding, basically quit the NBA after that and hasn't come back.
Yep..... I completely understand. I must have went to 500 games between 85 and 95. Now I barely can stand it.

I'm so skeptical of anything in the NBA now.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I can't seem to put into words what stings the most with what Stern did. I mean in one series he literally destroyed my favorite sport. I was so sick from it I took 10 years off. No exaggeration.

His lack of integrity cost Phoenix at least one championship and millions and millions of dollars.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't seem to put into words what stings the most with what Stern did. I mean in one series he literally destroyed my favorite sport. I was so sick from it I took 10 years off. No exaggeration.

His lack of integrity cost Phoenix at least one championship and millions and millions of dollars.

It also ruined the vibe of a great comeback win. The announcers mentioned Amare and Boris right away so everything went directly into suspension speculation. Nash was amazing late in that game.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score

I certainly felt similar. Sort of lost intense interest in the suns and they didn’t do any favors either.

It was also the last time we built a solid team with both signings and drafting. We spiraled into an era of bad picks, missing out on guys, a few decent picks and a couple older free agent signings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dwelled on what Stern did for the longest time and longed for the Suns to get back to where they once were but I never dreamed it would take this long. My goal has always been to see this happen. Hopefully the wait will soon be over.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That incident took a lot of the wind outta my sails for nba. I went more heavily to college hoops. The fact that Sarver then shepherded in the worst era in suns history just totally detached me (from my normal levels of fandom). I haven’t gone to a game in years, I don’t pay for suns televised games, I have t bought and nba gear in over 10 years, u don’t even really watch many of the playoffs or finals anymore. Stern and sarver unwound one of the most rabid fans the suns and nba ever had.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That incident took a lot of the wind outta my sails for nba. I went more heavily to college hoops.

That incident bothered me a lot but not as much as what happened to UA in the finals against Duke. Prior to that game I was a diehard NCAA Men's BB fan but since then I mostly just follow the Arizona schools. I'll watch the occasional hyped game but gone are the days when I recorded and watched every good college matchup I could find. Now, I'm convinced that MOST NBA games are fairly, if poorly, officiated. I can't say the same for the college game, I firmly believe a significant percentage of them are fixed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I certainly felt similar. Sort of lost intense interest in the suns and they didn’t do any favors either.

It was also the last time we built a solid team with both signings and drafting. We spiraled into an era of bad picks, missing out on guys, a few decent picks and a couple older free agent signings.

I dwelled on what Stern did for the longest time and longed for the Suns to get back to where they once were but I never dreamed it would take this long. My goal has always been to see this happen. Hopefully the wait will soon be over.

That incident took a lot of the wind outta my sails for nba. I went more heavily to college hoops. The fact that Sarver then shepherded in the worst era in suns history just totally detached me (from my normal levels of fandom). I haven’t gone to a game in years, I don’t pay for suns televised games, I have t bought and nba gear in over 10 years, u don’t even really watch many of the playoffs or finals anymore. Stern and sarver unwound one of the most rabid fans the suns and nba ever had.

Glad I wasn't alone. It still makes me so mad.

My parents had season tickets since the early 80's (was FrontRowSun on PhxSuns.net) and then never missed a game on league pass when I moved to the east coast. Now..... I just casually track their progress. I still have my Suns starter jacket from 1992 in my garage.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
That incident bothered me a lot but not as much as what happened to UA in the finals against Duke. Prior to that game I was a diehard NCAA Men's BB fan but since then I mostly just follow the Arizona schools. I'll watch the occasional hyped game but gone are the days when I recorded and watched every good college matchup I could find. Now, I'm convinced that MOST NBA games are fairly, if poorly, officiated. I can't say the same for the college game, I firmly believe a significant percentage of them are fixed.

I was a huge UofA fan when Lute was there. I went to school there for a bit while he was the HC.

I remember being upset at the calls in that game as well. Woods' 4th foul was terrible. The officials had too much impact on the game up until the 4th. After that, Shane Battier just killed us. (Fortunately, we had '97 to hang on to.)

The second they handed the reigns to Miller I never watched again. My friends in the college basketball circles said he was dirty WAAAAAY before he was hired. Still don't watch.

Needless to say, I've been basketball starved for way too long. UofA, ASU, and the Suns have all let me down. Hey, at least I have the Cardinals... (insert favorite sad emoji here)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a huge UofA fan when Lute was there. I went to school there for a bit while he was the HC.

I remember being upset at the calls in that game as well. Woods' 4th foul was terrible. The officials had too much impact on the game up until the 4th. After that, Shane Battier just killed us. (Fortunately, we had '97 to hang on to.)

Yeah, we were already in trouble in that game with our best player (Arenas) hampered by, IIRC, a shoulder injury. But not calling J Williams for his 4th foul in the first half was about as bad a non-call as you will ever see. Again, as I recall, Gardner was out top dribbling and Williams just bowled him over in an attempt to get to the ball. And instead of making the call, the refs just let it play on.

With Arenas injured Duke probably was the better team but with Williams in foul trouble, I think that would have flipped the advantage back to the Cats. And it's not like there was any dispute over what happened, everybody watching knew it was an obvious call - everyone but the refs I guess.

My memory is pretty spotty so I wouldn't be surprised if I've messed this up a little but I believe it's basically accurate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Glad I wasn't alone. It still makes me so mad.

My parents had season tickets since the early 80's (was FrontRowSun on PhxSuns.net) and then never missed a game on league pass when I moved to the east coast. Now..... I just casually track their progress. I still have my Suns starter jacket from 1992 in my garage.
I still have my suns starter jacket from same period!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Arizona game that torched me was the game vs Illinois when U of A blew that massive lead.

A "neutral" court tournament game playing in Chicago, where the refs basically allowed rugby rules for the final 4 minutes as the Illini staged their comeback. The turnover that led to the game tying three was particularly egregious; Frye literally got tackled on the play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Arizona game that torched me was the game vs Illinois when U of A blew that massive lead.

A "neutral" court tournament game playing in Chicago, where the refs basically allowed rugby rules for the final 4 minutes as the Illini staged their comeback. The turnover that led to the game tying three was particularly egregious; Frye literally got tackled on the play.

Yeah, that ending was a travesty too. I'd also put the Santa Clara game up there. Mills and Reeves did choke late but it would have never happened if the refs had actually pretended to do their jobs once the Wildcats took that big lead. But if I hadn't used our championship game as an example of rigged officiating, I could just as easily have gone to a Duke/Maryland game that was an even bigger screw job. Like I said, I don't trust college refereeing and while there are a lot of incompetent refs at that level, the problem is worse than that IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I liken this to the Niners scandal. They blatantly violated the salary cap, but won a Super Bowl. They goit their hands slappedm but too late to take the Super Bowl back! I think Suns fans would not care if we gad jobbed the Spurs via the refs and got an NBA Championship.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
May all the people involved burn forever after, or at least until we win a championship, whichever comes first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose