Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who missed it, including myself, hours 1 and 2 of Suns basketball talk.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just bought tickets for opening night, hope I bring em good luck. I'll be wearing my old school Western font sun burst shirt.

I think they've lowered ticket prices, they are crazy cheap.

Did you buy through Ticketmaster?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this, here or the Around the NBA thread. I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

The NBA instituted the new measuring requirements this year so all players had to be measured and listed at their correct height on any official media information that is released by teams or the league. There weren't any big changes for the Suns with the new measurements other than Booker lost an inch, now being listed at 6'5" and Oubre is now listed at 6'6" instead of 6'7". Ayton, Rubio, Saric, Kaminsky, and Mikal all measured as tall as they'd been listed previously.

Some of the players weight changed but I'm not aware of whether the NBA is cracking down on that, I don't believe they are at this time but there were some changes for Suns this year compared to last, nothing too noticeable though.

Here's the tweet I saw that had this info. The person tweeting is one of the co-hosts on The Timeline so I believe they're accurate. Those guys do a good job and I can't see them pushing out false information, especially about players heights and weight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's channing frye without the three.

I don't see it. Ayton is a star in the making; he has the physical gifts to be an all time great but it's doubtful he'll ever reach his potential due to his emotional makeup, drive and personality. But he's still a star in the making and despite all the knocks on him here, offensively he's coming off one of the best all time rookie big men seasons EVER.

I loved what Channing Frye did for us and his presence made us a better team most nights but he was never going to be a star. Our 21 year old big man is already a significantly better player than Frye in his prime IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it odd for the preseason to end a little more than a full week before the season starts? I can see giving teams 3-4 days to get ready but 9? That's a bit much.

I am glad we have a coach who knows how to run a practice here for that extended break. I know Igor, Watson, and Hornacek all took hits from the players and media about practices being disorganized. Nothing like that has been said about Monty and since he was a head coach for a couple of years, he knows what the job entails.

It is weird. I don't remember such a gap between preseason and the start of the regular season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see it. Ayton is a star in the making; he has the physical gifts to be an all time great but it's doubtful he'll ever reach his potential due to his emotional makeup, drive and personality. But he's still a star in the making and despite all the knocks on him here, offensively he's coming off one of the best all time rookie big men seasons EVER.

I loved what Channing Frye did for us and his presence made us a better team most nights but he was never going to be a star. Our 21 year old big man is already a significantly better player than Frye in his prime IMO.

Agree. Ayton is a star in the making.

Even the thought of comparing him to Frye makes me shudder because so much more is expected of Ayton.

I'm not taking anything away from Frye because he had a solid if unspectacular career. He was unfairly criticized by some for not being more of an inside presence when his game was more of a stretch 4.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised. I saw him live one game last year in DC, and he looked very tall and long. I was really surprised to see how big that dude was.

He's one of those players that you don't realize just how big he is until you see him in person. I only went to 1 game last season but I was surprised how tall he was also. I remember thinking the same thing when I went to a Suns/Jazz game and saw Rudy Gobert. Some players don't look that big on TV but seeing Ayton in person and amongst the other players, it's clear he's a legit 7 footer.

Last edited:

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I don't see it. Ayton is a star in the making; he has the physical gifts to be an all time great but it's doubtful he'll ever reach his potential due to his emotional makeup, drive and personality. But he's still a star in the making and despite all the knocks on him here, offensively he's coming off one of the best all time rookie big men seasons EVER

I would say he's a star in waiting. Im waiting for him to shed his soft label. If he attacks the rim with malice this season then I'll change my opinion. Until then, he's Channing Frye soft.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The height/weight changes would bring them to this recap, which I put together from the projections
of Mainstreet and Raze.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am not surprised. I saw him live one game last year in DC, and he looked very tall and long. I was really surprised to see how big that dude was.
Harrisburg? Really? I am in Mechanicsburg.

Also... I went to that game with my nephew. Great time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose