Cardinals beat Falcons, but there's not a lot to celebrate

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And I guess I want to ask, to those who feel we've made a great deal of progress, what's your feeling going to be like if we lose to the Giants and then the 49ers going into the bye week? Like, is this really enough to feel like we're riding high?

Hell, maybe this is me misinterpreting exactly how excited some of you guys are, maybe it's more cautious than I'm reading, but as of right now I'm getting the feeling that many think we have already righted the ship.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Reality check! Many here are seeing the ability of the team to score points as progress and it's true, it's damn true, this team is scoring a lot more points than last year. On the other hand this team is giving up points at a rate faster than the offense can score points so the defense is worse than last year. There were games last year where the defense actually held other offenses in check only for the offense to fail miserably with the opportunities given to them. To me that results in a net gain of zero. I judge this team in it's entirety, not just one side of the ball. Yes, it's a lot more fun to see the team score points and it's certainly a lot more fun to watch. It's not so much fun to see a defense that can't stop a little old lady with a walker go for 5 yards on first down. I know the first argument I will get is now that Peterson is back the defense is going to suddenly become so much better. Peterson is going to shutdown half of the field. Seriously. What's he going to do cover all three receivers when a team runs three WR to his side? He can only cover one guy.

Whether you want to admit it or not the calls went our way on Sunday and we had a kicker miss a XP who rarely misses one. All that helps in winning the game. It may have been a different results if even one of those calls went the other way or Bryant makes the XP. Then I read that even if Bryant makes the XP, Murray would have taken the team down the field for a game winning FG. What? Now we have seers and prognosticators posting here. The game Sunday could have gone either way. We were fortunate to have a few breaks go our way and it never hurts your chance of winning by getting those breaks.

Murray is looking pretty good so far and is showing promise. The offense is more innovative. The offense can put points on the board. The defense gives them back just as fast if not faster.

All this said, I am sure I will get trashed for this post by some and will be told I can't get over drafting Murray and can't admit I was wrong, and yadda, yadda, yadda. Honestly, I don't really care what others think of my position. This is how I see the team right now and it doesn't make me right or wrong or less of a fan of the team. If I was less of a fan I wouldn't have followed this team for 50+ years. It's my opinion and you can agree or disagree. Either way I am entitled to it.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Good post BIM. It's nice to celebrate a win, but important for us to accept it for what it is, which is just barely squeaking it out against a bad team (at least by record and maybe coaching).

Anything less than a dominant win against the Giants this week has to come with the same "yeah, but..."

At the end of the day, the Cardinals winning 3-4 games this season against bottom feeder teams, giving Keim another year, is a pretty uncomfortable scenario.

Sure beats the hell out of last year and at least we've found our Qbotf.

By the way, did you hear Rosen is back to the bench again?

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
And I guess I want to ask, to those who feel we've made a great deal of progress, what's your feeling going to be like if we lose to the Giants and then the 49ers going into the bye week? Like, is this really enough to feel like we're riding high?

Hell, maybe this is me misinterpreting exactly how excited some of you guys are, maybe it's more cautious than I'm reading, but as of right now I'm getting the feeling that many think we have already righted the ship.
We’ll be underdogs in both those games, so losing won’t necessarily change my excitement or view of our progress. How we lose could change it though. If our offense continues to look the way they have I’ll still be excited. I’ll be really excited if our defense plays better, but not super optimistic on that front. Although hopefully PP helps.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone gets upset when Solar isn't sold on KM and has realistic or unrealistic expectations on the other hand, I don't understand why people who love KM get ripped on because they like him and see any good as a sign of progress and get super excited...these threads are almost all identical now, they turn into garbage...kinda like our defense lol

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone gets upset when Solar isn't sold on KM and has realistic or unrealistic expectations on the other hand, I don't understand why people who love KM get ripped on because they like him and see any good as a sign of progress and get super excited...these threads are almost all identical now, they turn into garbage...kinda like our defense lol

Agreed, would be nice if people with opposing opinions would just agree to disagree instead of what we're seeing on almost a daily basis now. I know I haven't been posting on here for long but I really don't like seeing posters taking shots at each other, whether it is directly or indirectly. At the end of the day we all just want what's best for the team. I'd like to think that we're just one big Cardinal family that fights but should never let it get too personal to the point where you focus more on the poster than the argument itself. Just my 2 cents. :)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, would be nice if people with opposing opinions would just agree to disagree instead of what we're seeing on almost a daily basis now. I know I haven't been posting on here for long but I really don't like seeing posters taking shots at each other, whether it is directly or indirectly. At the end of the day we all just want what's best for the team. I'd like to think that we're just one big Cardinal family that fights but should never let it get too personal to the point where you focus more on the poster than the argument itself. Just my 2 cents. :)

Well said.I admit I am skeptical still and am waiting to decide about KM.I want to see more consistent solid play and I want to see that against some good teams.Anybody can see KM has flashed good talent at times and looked like a World beater while other times he looked completely lost.IMO the Falcons game was his best game all season.It was against the Falcons but it still was a game without turnovers,sacks and only a few bad throws.Nothing wrong with that.What ticks me off is people saying fans who are not in the " Kyler is great" fanclub are haters or not real fans or anti-Murray.Wanting to reserve judgement instead of making a decision after less than half a season.I remember thinking Jake Plummer was going to be the one to lead the Cards rise to contention every year...Plummer had more peaks and valleys than nearly any Cards QB since Jim Harts early seasons.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its harder to impress some of us old farts.It takes time.:)

Hes skeptical but likes what he is seeing. You are the same I am noticing, you just like to pee on the fire even when the fire is looking good. its all good.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sure beats the hell out of last year and at least we've found our Qbotf.

By the way, did you hear Rosen is back to the bench again?
I did. Am I complaining that KM sucks? Nah. He looks good. I haven’t said anything slightly bad about the kid since last Saturday before the game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa, I believe you said that Kyler was not the QB you wanted, but as a fan, you hope Kyler can prove you wrong. Just a question, who did you want to be our QB?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By the time we drafted KM, we already missed the Lamar Jackson boat. So I don't see how that would have been an option.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well said.I admit I am skeptical still and am waiting to decide about KM.I want to see more consistent solid play and I want to see that against some good teams.Anybody can see KM has flashed good talent at times and looked like a World beater while other times he looked completely lost.IMO the Falcons game was his best game all season.It was against the Falcons but it still was a game without turnovers,sacks and only a few bad throws.Nothing wrong with that.What ticks me off is people saying fans who are not in the " Kyler is great" fanclub are haters or not real fans or anti-Murray.Wanting to reserve judgement instead of making a decision after less than half a season.I remember thinking Jake Plummer was going to be the one to lead the Cards rise to contention every year...Plummer had more peaks and valleys than nearly any Cards QB since Jim Harts early seasons.

Plummer NEVER played as efficiently as we are seeing Murray play though.

And for progress? 28 scoring drives through 6 games this year vs 13 scoring drives through 6 games last year. That's a HUGE difference. Say whatever you want about competition, but the Cardinals have moved the ball effectively in almost every game this year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for progress? 28 scoring drives through 6 games this year vs 13 scoring drives through 6 games last year. That's a HUGE difference. Say whatever you want about competition, but the Cardinals have moved the ball effectively in almost every game this year.

Imagine where we might be had we implemented our offense in the preseason...

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
solar has come around
Don’t get me wrong, I like solar. I like BW. We’re all brothers and sisters in this mess. They are die hards and deserve respect. I did it to keep myself sane. It’s not their problem it’s mine. I don’t mean any ill will by it and probably should have clarified that. I have nothing but respect for tried and true fans of this team, like Solar and BW.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I’ll go one farther and flat out apologize to both of those guys, who don’t need me commenting on their opinions.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys like Bw and solar are the reasons I visit this board.. chopper too. Ive been told I like to argue.. so this makes sense. :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Guys like Bw and solar are the reasons I visit this board.. chopper too. Ive been told I like to argue.. so this makes sense. :)
I still can't figure this out. I never thought I'd be blocked by anyone on this board, much less some of the people who called it out.

Turn dark one year, and there ya go.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still can't figure this out. I never thought I'd be blocked by anyone on this board, much less some of the people who called it out.

Turn dark one year, and there ya go.
It's what happens when there is debate on the number 1 pick of the draft. A lot of emotion involved both ways.. it's all good imo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose