Kyler vs Rosen

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.

Assuming we truly knew how bad our team was in 2018 and knew we’d be getting #1 pick the next year.....if we didn’t go for a 1st round qb in Rosen, who do you think we would/could have drafted? Would that have been a difference maker?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1st..I'm tired of the Rosen threads...please let it end.
No bragging about the deal either because Keim traded him for Isabella....who has yet to get a target.

As far as the question.

Depends? Who would have been good enough, but not make an impact to where we miss out on the 1st pick.

Derwin James probably wins you another a game. Raiders might have taken Murray.

Minkah Fitzpatrick?

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was a big fan when we traded up to get Rosen, but yeah blowing a 1st round pick on him sucked. It did help us get Kyler Murray in a way.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
1st..I'm tired of the Rosen threads...please let it end.
No bragging about the deal either because Keim traded him for Isabella....who has yet to get a target.

As far as the question.

Depends? Who would have been good enough, but not make an impact to where we miss out on the 1st pick.

Derwin James probably wins you another a game. Raiders might have taken Murray.

Minkah Fitzpatrick?

It ends by not opening a thread titled Kyler vs Rosen

Agree on James

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.

Assuming we truly knew how bad our team was in 2018 and knew we’d be getting #1 pick the next year.....if we didn’t go for a 1st round qb in Rosen, who do you think we would/could have drafted? Would that have been a difference maker?

I mentioned that theres' not really an obvious person. Fitzpatrick was the next pick but we traded up to get Josh we likely weren't going to move up 5 slots to get a S so he would have been off the board. The best player that came to mind for me was Courtland Sutton and he was well down the draft.

Sucks we moved up to get him and then traded him but I don't think we missed any obvious stud. but anybody would be better than what we got so far

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted us to stay at 15 and draft Lamar Jackson. Thought we needed a mobile QB who was also a solid passing QB. Surprised that he dropped all the way to the Ravens at 32.

Had we drafted Lamar I seriously doubt that we would have finished last season with the first pick in the draft, IMHO.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I wanted us to stay at 15 and draft Lamar Jackson. Thought we needed a mobile QB who was also a solid passing QB. Surprised that he dropped all the way to the Ravens at 32.

Had we drafted Lamar I seriously doubt that we would have finished last season with the first pick in the draft, IMHO.

I’m not sure how much of a difference Lamar would have been able to make in wins and losses but I cried a little inside when they moved up for Rosen.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

yeah Lamar is kind of doing okay.10-3 as a starting QB so far .

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

But we’d probably still have Wilks

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
yeah Lamar is kind of doing okay.10-3 as a starting QB so far .
Maybe it's just me since I live in Ravens country now and used to live in Louisville also....... But I just don't see it with Lamar.

His passing needs to get a LOT better before he will change my impression. Accuracy, Deep Balls, pocket awareness, etc. His sample size continues to grow and I continue to be scared by his inability to overcome specific schemes. Or be so dominant that he overcomes them running or passing.

I don't think he is as injury prone as I expected due to his insane elusiveness..... but damn man.... That Charges playoff game combined with that Browns home game have me shook on him long term. An above average, good, but never great, QB. The best teams will continue to beat him when it matters. KC & Cleveland don't look like world beaters and they handled him with ease.

Thats my take.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me since I live in Ravens country now and used to live in Louisville also....... But I just don't see it with Lamar.

His passing needs to get a LOT better before he will change my impression. Accuracy, Deep Balls, pocket awareness, etc. His sample size continues to grow and I continue to be scared by his inability to overcome specific schemes. Or be so dominant that he overcomes them running or passing.

I don't think he is as injury prone as I expected due to his insane elusiveness..... but damn man.... That Charges playoff game combined with that Browns home game have me shook on him long term. An above average, good, but never great, QB. The best teams will continue to beat him when it matters. KC & Cleveland don't look like world beaters and they handled him with ease.

Thats my take.

My take is that he is still a work in progress but he is improving.When did you live in Louisville?I have been a Uof L fan for 50 years and watched bunch of UL QBs.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Thats my take.
My take is that he is still a work in progress but he is improving.When did you live in Louisville?I have been a Uof L fan for 50 years and watched bunch of UL QBs.

I think the thing to remember about Lamar is....he's 22.

He's 22 on is on pace to throw for 4000 and run for 1000.

Its absurd.

He's not there yet as a passer, but look at the jump he's made from year 1 to year 2.

Its the same for him in college.

Freshman year - looked like he should play WR...in college
Sophomore year - Heisman winner
Junior year - Looked like a future NFL QB

Now in the NFL
First year - Looked like he should play WR
Second year - He looks like he'll be a decent passer in the NFL

He's not there, but he keeps improving. There's something to be said for that.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I think the thing to remember about Lamar is....he's 22.

He's 22 on is on pace to throw for 4000 and run for 1000.

Its absurd.

He's not there yet as a passer, but look at the jump he's made from year 1 to year 2.

Its the same for him in college.

Freshman year - looked like he should play WR...in college
Sophomore year - Heisman winner
Junior year - Looked like a future NFL QB

Now in the NFL
First year - Looked like he should play WR
Second year - He looks like he'll be a decent passer in the NFL

He's not there, but he keeps improving. There's something to be said for that.

Considering he got very little real QB coaching in college Lamar has done well.(Petrinos son was QB for 2 year IIRC).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last year I was saying Jackson at 15 and Kirk in the second.

But I confess I was happy with the Rosen pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
One locked thread wasn't enough?
I get that the thread title should be worded differently, but the idea behind the thread isn't so bad.

As to my position on it, I am happy things worked out the way they did as opposed to drafting LJ as I think Murray will be much better than LJ. I suppose it would have been cool to maybe use those picks last year that were used on Rosen to bring in talent in other positions that we are lacking, but I can't particularly complain about the ultimate result of all of it.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I want a Kerwynn Williams vs. Chance Edmonds or a DJ Foster vs Andre Ellington thread now... and where is my Hundley vs Stanton lol

I think this one has more merit (hell I started it) since both were expected to be franchise qb’s and last year seems like such a waste of time.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1996 to 2003.

Still have a ton of friends there and try to get back to Thunder over Louisville at least once every 2 to 3 years.

We would have never left if we had some family there. What a great city.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave