Cardinals beat Falcons, but there's not a lot to celebrate

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sigh.....

Ok. We won because of a missed field goal......yet we tied because of a dropped INT in week 1.

So it all works out.

Surprised at some of the older fans. Am I the only one that remembers the many times this organization lost games in ridiculous ways?

Bad teams find ways to lose games, and good teams find ways to win them.

Honestly? Winning on a missed extra point is one of the more promising things I have seen this year.

Let other teams eat those "stupid ways to lose" games. We have filled our quota, probably 10 times over as well.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Trust me, I remember, and I'm happy to have the W over the alternative, but I really want to see a glimmer of hope that when 2020 rolls around, I can begin to think about competing for the division, not just watching another year where we get taken to the woodshed and are out of it by October.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
We all had our fun with Kyler's lack of height...But the kid can ball, and seems to be getting smarter every week.

But I have to get in one last jab... Hearing KM being described as a Pocket QB... I immediately have this come to mind :p

You must be registered for see images attach

Ron Popeil thanks you.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sigh.....

Ok. We won because of a missed field goal......yet we tied because of a dropped INT in week 1.

So it all works out.

Surprised at some of the older fans. Am I the only one that remembers the many times this organization lost games in ridiculous ways?

Bad teams find ways to lose games, and good teams find ways to win them.

Honestly? Winning on a missed extra point is one of the more promising things I have seen this year.

Let other teams eat those "stupid ways to lose" games. We have filled our quota, probably 10 times over as well.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
I'm also confident that we would have marched down the field for a FG had they made that extra point.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
No neither win is anything to be terribly excited about EXCEPT if you are a Cardinal fan in which case W's are W's and we'll take all we can get.

All I want to see is progress, beating teams you should beat is progress.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wins don't come easy in the NFL. This team is fun to watch especially seeing the offense with Kyler getting better every week and KK putting together a very imaginative offensive game plan. The defense is not good, maybe with P21 back that will help some. Although we have lots of holes to fill in the offseason,we really need to build a tough defense.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I thought we were a lock top 5 pick this year, we may not pick in the top 10. I think that's reason for celebrating we're better than most of us expected we would be.
We’ll pick in the top 10.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll pick in the top 10.

I think we will too but it's conceivable we don't.

I figure remaining schedule Giants, Bucs, Rams(1 of 2), Steelers and Browns are all games we CAN win if we play well. I figure we probably win 3 of those which ends up 5-10-1 and in the top 10. if we somehow win 4 or 5 of those games then out of the top 10.

We currently pick 14th and 3 of the teams picking in front of us, we still get to play.

AS someone else said it's remarkable how many really bad teams there appears to be this season.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
It’s so easy to make bold statements by using certain results and stats to support your narrative. Both sides of this argument can do it.

Only wins come against teams with a 1-11 record! Can’t celebrate! Week before...the Falcons are a good team with way more talent than us. They will decimate us. Bengals were an early start on the road. Not a bad win for an NFL team regardless of their record. The Ravens beat the Bengals by 6 points and it was at Baltimore. Keep things in perspective.

Rather than trying to discount what the cardinals are doing, base your assessment on their actual performance during games and use some logic. The only times they were really outplayed was the first 3 quarters of the Lions game and the Seattle game. They are led by a rookie QB and a head coach who seem to be making adjustments and getting better each week. I don’t understand the crowd that is hesitant to show any excitement. We’re fans. Isn’t that what we are supposed to do? It’s an odd take. Are they headed to the playoffs? Very unlikely. Am I excited to see if they can win three in a row by squeaking one out on the road against the Giants? Yes. Although, I wish we would have played them last week without Barkley, Engram and Shepard :).

As a fan, why not be excited when they show progress?

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
After San Fran spanks us a couple of times, it will bring everyone back down to earth.
Not sold that we are going to get spanked by them. They will be tough games for sure, but I won't be at all surprised if we make those games close or maybe even steal one of them. Especially if this team keeps improving as the season progresses.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It’s so easy to make bold statements by using certain results and stats to support your narrative. Both sides of this argument can do it.

Only wins come against teams with a 1-11 record! Can’t celebrate! Week before...the Falcons are a very good team with way more talent than us. They will decimate us. Bengals were an early start on the road. Not a bad win for an NFL team regardless of their record. The Ravens beat the Bengals by 6 points and it was at Baltimore. Keep things in perspective.

Rather than trying to discount what the cardinals are doing, base your assessment on their actual performance during games and use some logic. The only times they were really outplayed was the first 3 quarters of the Lions game and the Seattle game. They are led by a rookie QB and a head coach who seem to be making adjustments and getting better each week. I don’t understand the crowd that is hesitant to show any excitement. We’re fans. Isn’t that what we are supposed to do? It’s an odd take. Are they headed to the playoffs? Very unlikely. Am I excited to see if they can win three in a row by squeaking one out on the road against the Giants? Yes. Although, I wish we would have played them last week without Barkley, Engram and Shepard :).

As a fan, why not be excited when they show progress?

And we should be excited about the excellent progress we've made on offense. We're on the right track.

But our defense is a horror show man, and it's discouraging.

I don't know. Maybe PP21 and Alford can get us back to a C- level on that side of the ball.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And a big thank you to Matt Bryant
A win is a win but beating the teams worse than you is expected so when Cards beat some teams better then it will be time to think things could be looking up..

IMO, a completely ignorant comment. You show your true colors every time you post.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Not sold that we are going to get spanked by them. They will be tough games for sure, but I won't be at all surprised if we make those games close or maybe even steal one of them. Especially if this team keeps improving as the season progresses.

Maybe. It depends on how much PP21 (and then Alford) improves the defense. Who knows how good Patrick will be now that he's off the juice?

The offense will have some success against the Rams and 49ers. I don't doubt that. Having Kirk back at 100% will help.

But I'm afraid SF and LA will shred us like CAR did, and our offense will have to be perfect to stay with them, but we won't have enough horses to do so.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Luck was with us in this game. Bryant to that point had only missed 7 XPs in his 19 year career. The team also had three close calls go their way which helped a lot in winning this game. Even the players thought the play with Byrd was a fumble only to get the call our way. I am glad for the win however both wins were against teams that are fumbling and bumbling their way through the season. The Giant defense is pretty solid and will get pressure on Murray. The big question is will Barkley be back for this game.

It really didn’t matter if Bryant made that xp. Murray would have driven us down the field & we would have won anyways. That game would have never come down to that if Cooper doesn’t drop an easy 1st down pass.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
And we should be excited about the excellent progress we've made on offense. We're on the right track.

But our defense is a horror show man, and it's discouraging.

I don't know. Maybe PP21 and Alford can get us back to a C- level on that side of the ball.
Can’t argue regarding the defense! Agree, hopefully Peterson helps.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is there not a lot celebrate? That makes no sense to me. We are 2-0 in the second quarter of the season. The jitters are gone. The suspension is done.

some people just can't admit when they're wrong.

the idea that there's no progress from last year is incendiarily (not a word) stupid. People talking about "beating the teams they're supposed to beat"... newsflash @BW52 and @Solar7 we were UNDERDOGS (+4 versus Cincy and +2.5 versus Atlanta) in both games... and unless they were in a coma last year, we routinely couldn't "beat the teams we're supposed to beat", evidenced by atrocious home losses to Oakland and Detroit last year.

We've gone from one of the worst offenses of ALL time last year to middle of the pack... in only SIX games, doing that with a rookie QB, a rookie HC, Fitz, Jack And Sh*t at WR. If you don't see progress there, you're either blind or completely incapable of admitting you were wrong. whichever one it is, get over it guys.

I can't imagine not enjoying watching the progress this team has made so far this season. Are we a Super Bowl contender? No. We're not even a playoff contender, but good gravy, we were ATROCIOUS last year and this year, we're right under the middle of the pack so far. That's progress any way you slice it. And remember, this is coming from the freaking ex-Emperor of the damn Dark Side back in the day.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
some people just can't admit when they're wrong.

the idea that there's no progress from last year is incendiarily (not a word) stupid. People talking about "beating the teams they're supposed to beat"... newsflash @BW52 and @Solar7 we were UNDERDOGS (+4 versus Cincy and +2.5 versus Atlanta) in both games... and unless they were in a coma last year, we routinely couldn't "beat the teams we're supposed to beat", evidenced by atrocious home losses to Oakland and Detroit last year.

We've gone from one of the worst offenses of ALL time last year to middle of the pack... in only SIX games, doing that with a rookie QB, a rookie HC, Fitz, Jack And Sh*t at WR. If you don't see progress there, you're either blind or completely incapable of admitting you were wrong. whichever one it is, get over it guys.

I can't imagine not enjoying watching the progress this team has made so far this season. Are we a Super Bowl contender? No. We're not even a playoff contender, but good gravy, we were ATROCIOUS last year and this year, we're right under the middle of the pack so far. That's progress any way you slice it. And remember, this is coming from the freaking ex-Emperor of the damn Dark Side back in the day.
You're acting like I didn't just make a thread saying Kyler Murray looks great.

I dunno man, this feels like just as much of an "I-told-you-so" as the other side, but whatever. I want to be thrilled by everything else but just can't yet. I'm not gonna bother fighting it right now, but I'm calling the team as I see it and getting raked over the coals for it. I guess we'll just have to see where things turn out in the end.

I’ve had Solar and BW52 on ignore for about two months. It’s very refreshing.
This is a shame, I really enjoy you. Oh well.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score

I dunno man, this feels like just as much of an "I-told-you-so" as the other side, but whatever. I want to be thrilled by everything else but just can't yet. I'm not gonna bother fighting it right now, but I'm calling the team as I see it and getting raked over the coals for it. I guess we'll just have to see where things turn out in the end.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it almost feels like you made that thread just so you could say you made that thread. You can continue making negative comments and act like they have to blow out the giants for there to be any progress, but then come back and say, “But guys, I made that thread about how I like Kyler”.

Just enjoy how much better they have been this year and understand there will be some ups and downs.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wrong, but it almost feels like you made that thread just so you could say you made that thread. You can continue making negative comments and act like they have to blow out the giants for there to be any progress, but then come back and say, “But guys, I made that thread about how a like Kyler”.

Just enjoy the how much better they have been this year and understand there will be some ups and downs.
Lol u right
I can't buy it, looks like he wants to draw some attention from great part of the users with an unlikely self-criticism but can't hide the fact(by the true nature of his comments) he is still an anti Murray

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How can it be an "I-told-you-so" when all off-season long, I had no idea what was going to happen? I wasn't one of the Kyler-cultists. In fact, I usually got into big rows with a lot of them because I thought they were being so obnoxious to anyone who dared bring up a concern.

but aside from your Kyler thread, you're still setting up unrealistic expectations for this team and it seems like you're doing it so you can criticize again. For example... you made the comment that this team should DOMINATE the Giants this weekend and that would be proof they're actually progressing. You keep setting up self-fulfilling prophecies, where you're giving yourself ammo to pull the rip-chord again, in a situation, where once again, we're going to be ROAD UNDERDOGS. And you keep negging our wins and completely dismissing our close losses... and even ties.. I'm mean, in one thread you went off saying the Lions game wasn't competitive because we were down 24-6 through 3 quarters while at the same time saying the Falcons game was super competitive... even though we were up 27-10 halfway through the third. Both games had big comebacks... you slagged us for the Falcons squeaker (a game you thought we'd get killed in), yet give next to no credit for the Lions comeback (again, a game you thought we'd get killed in). If the team is either winning or tying games you think they'll get killed in, how is that not major progress? And then there's the Baltimore game that apparently wasn't competitive "because we never had a chance to win". Well, anyone who watched that game was surprised at how tough we hung in there and more important, that's just factually wrong. It was 20-17 in the fourth quarter. Then, we had 2 chances to drive for a game-winning score down 23-17 in the fourth quarter. Did we accomplish that? No... but you look only at the negative.

Meanwhile, prior to the Falcons game, you bent over backwards to give credit to a Falcons team for their competitiveness, insisting they were better than their record. And it goes on and on.

You say you call it like you see it, but I still think you're still seeing things the way you want to see them instead of how they really are.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wrong, but it almost feels like you made that thread just so you could say you made that thread. You can continue making negative comments and act like they have to blow out the giants for there to be any progress, but then come back and say, “But guys, I made that thread about how a like Kyler”.

Just enjoy how much better they have been this year and understand there will be some ups and downs.

i hate to say this, but I kinda agree.

the idea that to show real progress, we have to blowout a team... on the road... with an East Coast early start... while AGAIN being +3 UNDERDOGS... is setting the team up to fail.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wrong, but it almost feels like you made that thread just so you could say you made that thread. You can continue making negative comments and act like they have to blow out the giants for there to be any progress, but then come back and say, “But guys, I made that thread about how I like Kyler”.

Listen, I don't know how else to say this. Yes, this team is making some progress. Under Kliff and Keim, I don't think it is enough progress for me personally to get excited. I have no need to jockey for position on this board, I'm not a politician, and I don't get any rewards for people liking me.

When I say PROGRESS, I mean a hope that we can hold a candle to any team in our division, or any good team, anytime soon. Right now I think we're a streaky-good offensive team with a horrible defense, and too many holes to plug them in an offseason. We are practically void of young drafted talent, unlike some of the other teams who found a way to ascend.

How can it be an "I-told-you-so" when all off-season long, I had no idea what was going to happen? I wasn't one of the Kyler-cultists. In fact, I usually got into big rows with a lot of them because I thought they were being so obnoxious to anyone who dared bring up a concern.

but aside from your Kyler thread, you're still setting up unrealistic expectations for this team and it seems like you're doing it so you can criticize again. For example... you made the comment that this team should DOMINATE the Giants this weekend and that would be proof they're actually progressing. You keep setting up self-fulfilling prophecies, where you're giving yourself ammo to pull the rip-chord again, in a situation, where once again, we're going to be ROAD UNDERDOGS. And you keep negging our wins and completely dismissing our close losses... and even ties.. I'm mean, in one thread you went off saying the Lions game wasn't competitive because we were down 24-6 through 3 quarters while at the same time saying the Falcons game was super competitive... even though we were up 27-10 halfway through the third. Both games had big comebacks... you slagged us for the Falcons squeaker (a game you thought we'd get killed in), yet give next to no credit for the Lions comeback (again, a game you thought we'd get killed in). If the team is either winning or tying games you think they'll get killed in, how is that not major progress? And then there's the Baltimore game that apparently wasn't competitive "because we never had a chance to win". Well, anyone who watched that game was surprised at how tough we hung in there and more important, that's just factually wrong. It was 20-17 in the fourth quarter. Then, we had 2 chances to drive for a game-winning score down 23-17 in the fourth quarter. Did we accomplish that? No... but you look only at the negative.

Meanwhile, prior to the Falcons game, you bent over backwards to give credit to a Falcons team for their competitiveness, insisting they were better than their record. And it goes on and on.

You say you call it like you see it, but I still think you're still seeing things the way you want to see them instead of how they really are.
I think you're misinterpreting a lot of what I have to say about our wins and our losses. I certainly have no "expectations" of dominating the Giants. I don't expect you to read every post of mine, but I think we have a chance to win. However, they're pretty bad, so if we squeak out another win by 1-3 points, it's not going to dramatically shift my level of confidence that we have learned much. If we go in and dominate, like good teams should against bad teams? I'll feel different. In the game thread, I was calling the Falcons game "signature play" until of course we let them back in it.

We are underdogs, yes, but a betting line isn't the only indicator of how things should play out. They're also influenced by bettors. The fact of the matter is, they were either winless or close to winless teams out there. If we couldn't muster a win against them, especially the Bengals, we surely weren't going to compete against the 49ers, Seahawks, or Rams. And this isn't on Kyler Murray, it's not his fault when the defense falters like that, but it is on the overall offense when we fail to convert for a first down with four minutes left, or fail to beat our opponents because all we can put up are field goals.

I thought we would have a damn good chance against Baltimore, and we played alright. I didn't think we would against the Falcons, and we squeaked one out with surprisingly potent offensive play.

I'm not afraid to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to be proven wrong on moral victories against teams that dominated us for 3 quarters and crumbled or teams where we played well for three quarters and then crumbled.

I know we're not going to the playoffs, I know we're not going to have a winning record. I know we need to see progress, or hold onto hope, or whatever you want to call it, it's just that the level of play I need to see out of this team to think that Keim and Kliff can move the team forward into competitiveness just isn't there yet.

Again, we have no young talent, need to find two offensive tackles in the offseason, another OLB, a single DT/DE worth a damn, potentially replace Patrick Peterson if he does demand a trade, find some half decent OLBs, and people here are already clamoring about getting Murray a real Center and a #1 WR despite 5 picks being invested in those positions over the past two years.

I am looking ahead, which makes it hard to live in the now and get too amped up over a win against the Falcons, even though I didn't expect it to happen.

Edit: At the end of the day, I want to say this. Sure I'm pleased that we're better than last year. But an improvement from "Historically awful" to "can beat teams in the bottom quarter of the league if everything goes right" isn't going to make me jump for joy or renew my season tickets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA