David Johnson

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The best way I can describe my thoughts on David Johnson.

As a pure running back? I think he has digressed. I think when you are running the ball Cahse Edmonds is better.

He HAD been a disappointment until I changed my thinking on him.

As the "football player" he is, I am very impressed.

His abilities in the passing game and as a blocker, specifically lead blocker, has to be brought into the conversation. Not only that, it has to be looked as, as what is to be expected from him, not as "trickery" or outside the norm.

David Johnson is the catalyst for this offense. You could say the worst thing Johnson does is run between the tackles and Edmonds can do that.

You need a catch in traffic? David Johnson.

You need a catch where the guy has to use his body to create space? David Johnson.

You need someone to come in and lead block? David Johnson.

You need a screen play? David Johnson.

You can keep him on the field for every play and ask him to do anything, and he will do it, and more times then not, do it well.

I would love to see the yardage you could associate with David Johnson if you adds yards off his lead blocking to his numbers.

In this system, Johnson is perfect. I think it took a couple weeks for him to adjust but he is getting in a groove

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I had him on my do not draft list this year. He’s been very productive in his new role.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I was disappointed toward the end of the game when he was in instead of Edmonds. We needed to run the ball to kill the clock and needed Edmonds in there. Agree he is amazing catching the ball.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks slow quite often, IE: that wide open wheel route. He did have a monster game though and I think if we look at this as a two headed rush attack, they are both very good in their roles. We just need to take that perspective instead of looking for 2016 david johnson as this role can win us a lot of games.

One of his catches, I think it was a touchdown, was AMAZING. Dude is awesome. I really, really like the two RB sets and have been asking for those for years. I thought we should run 2rb when ellington could still play too. If you have both him and edmonds in the backfield you have 3-4 running threats (jet sweep) and then 4-5 catching threats. It is a very dangerous offense to play against.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is the classic example of what Kliff is really good at. DJ isn't a traditional RB, but Kliff has found a way to make him still a huge factor where last year he was completely miscast.

Edmonds at this point is a better runner IMO, but DJ is so good as a receiver that Kliff is still scheming him into perfect plays. it seems like every game he gets one run about 15 to 20 yards and the rest are short gains. Edmonds is more effective moving the chains although I still like DJ in the goalline stuff but partly because he's my 2nd best RB in fantasy.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looks slow quite often, IE: that wide open wheel route. He did have a monster game though and I think if we look at this as a two headed rush attack, they are both very good in their roles. We just need to take that perspective instead of looking for 2016 david johnson as this role can win us a lot of games.

One of his catches, I think it was a touchdown, was AMAZING. Dude is awesome. I really, really like the two RB sets and have been asking for those for years. I thought we should run 2rb when ellington could still play too. If you have both him and edmonds in the backfield you have 3-4 running threats (jet sweep) and then 4-5 catching threats. It is a very dangerous offense to play against.

Long striders always look slower on TV.

Watch the guy trying to cover or keep up.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long striders always look slower on TV.

Watch the guy trying to cover or keep up.

I keep attributing it to that but on that wide open run he sure didnt seem to be running hard. He has always been more of a vision back so maybe thats all it was.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep attributing it to that but on that wide open run he sure didnt seem to be running hard. He has always been more of a vision back so maybe thats all it was.

You mean the play where he caught the ball at the LOS and wasn't touched till he was 30 yards down the field?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He's earning about 80% of his contract. That's about as good as I think he is capable of.

Love how he makes contested catches. And think he could be a fun TE on some plays if he learns to run block better.
He playing like an "amplified" H-Back, IMHO.

His ability to use his body to create space and make catches is quite impressive.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1st off they were going against Atlanta - one, if not, of the worst NFL defenses in the league...so simmer down

2nd - anyone with two eyes can see Chase is twice as fast as DJ

3rd- show me a single broken tackle and I'll show you 10 where he literally dived at the ground when he got touched and he should have been able to fight through it.

I've seen enough of DJ - and unfortunately his contract (which shows him being paid as the 2nd highest RB in the league) - which he does NOT play like - nor anywhere near the top 3 RB's in the league

He's at best a top 25 RB

If it were up to me I'd start Chase and rotate in DJ, but due to his contract they won't.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I genuinely don't think he was slow there. It looked more to me that he was deciding what to do. As in he wasn't really running, but just unsure as to the best line.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1st off they were going against Atlanta - one, if not, of the worst NFL defenses in the league...so simmer down

3rd- show me a single broken tackle and I'll show you 10 where he literally dived at the ground when he got touched and he should have been able to fight through it.

I've seen enough of DJ - and unfortunately his contract (which shows him being paid as the 2nd highest RB in the league) - which he does NOT play like - nor anywhere near the top 3 RB's in the league

He's at best a top 25 RB

If it were up to me I'd start Chase and rotate in DJ, but due to his contract they won't.
So. . .how about the fact his numbers over the season are pretty decent. Did we play Atlanta every week?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I genuinely don't think he was slow there. It looked more to me that he was deciding what to do. As in he wasn't really running, but just unsure as to the best line.

Agreed, that's what I mean about how he is a vision back. He runs a little indecisive because he is planning his next moves, holes and etc. It is a special skillset for him as he, at least in 2016, followed his blockers and waited for holes better than anyone I had seen. He hasnt showed that since but I think that was a part of that play and sometimes if you have 30 yards in front of you, you just need to sprint and get up there. It could mean a few more yards because you got there faster.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, that's what I mean about how he is a vision back. He runs a little indecisive because he is planning his next moves, holes and etc. It is a special skillset for him as he, at least in 2016, followed his blockers and waited for holes better than anyone I had seen. He hasnt showed that since but I think that was a part of that play and sometimes if you have 30 yards in front of you, you just need to sprint and get up there. It could mean a few more yards because you got there faster.

He made it all the way to where Fitz was blocking before getting touched.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The best way I can describe my thoughts on David Johnson.

As a pure running back? I think he has digressed. I think when you are running the ball Cahse Edmonds is better.

He HAD been a disappointment until I changed my thinking on him.

As the "football player" he is, I am very impressed.

His abilities in the passing game and as a blocker, specifically lead blocker, has to be brought into the conversation. Not only that, it has to be looked as, as what is to be expected from him, not as "trickery" or outside the norm.

David Johnson is the catalyst for this offense. You could say the worst thing Johnson does is run between the tackles and Edmonds can do that.

You need a catch in traffic? David Johnson.

You need a catch where the guy has to use his body to create space? David Johnson.

You need someone to come in and lead block? David Johnson.

You need a screen play? David Johnson.

You can keep him on the field for every play and ask him to do anything, and he will do it, and more times then not, do it well.

I would love to see the yardage you could associate with David Johnson if you adds yards off his lead blocking to his numbers.

In this system, Johnson is perfect. I think it took a couple weeks for him to adjust but he is getting in a groove

Thanks for posting this Rugby.

There was a 3rd and five yesterday, where DJ ran an out route, and Murray fired a real fastball at him, and the ball was already in the air when Johnson was still coming out of his cut.

Johnson only had about a second to get his hands up and snare it, but he made that catch look routine. I thought it was incredible play for a 220 pound RB. Great catch in a clutch situation.

One other thing, after his TD catch, David was really fired up. That was the most emotion I've seen from him in two years, and that gives me a little hope that DJ will be giving it 100% the rest of the year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's at best a top 25 RB

Good thing you aren't in charge

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJ is severely talented and presents mismatches all over that field. Anyone who can’t see how valuable he is and what he brings to the table is out of their mind. (Cough cough ARZcardinals)

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His role is changing, but he's still being productive. His role as a primary ball carrier is diminishing, however he is still making catches and being productive, I like Edmonds and his new roles.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He made it all the way to where Fitz was blocking before getting touched.
I watched the play. You're misreading my comment or something. All I said was he seemed to run slowly watching the play vs sprinting when he got the ball.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose