OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
10/13/19, 6:31 PM
Kyler Murray and Larry Fitzgerald both said they thought Damiere Byrd fumbled his long pass early in the second quarter.

Murray flat out said Byrd fumbled and Fitzgerald said he was on the sideline with his helmet off, getting water and figuring out the next drive.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Apparently he was notorious for this with the Rams. Kirk couldn't come back soon enough.

There is a reason he is on a practical traveling rotation in the NFL. Amazing that Isabella barely sees the field. It is an indictment of Isabella that Pharaoh Cooper is playing.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a reason he is on a practical traveling rotation in the NFL. Amazing that Isabella barely sees the field. It is an indictment of Isabella that Pharaoh Cooper is playing.
It's concerning that he's using him for a diversion but won't design a play for him yet.. who knows what's going on there.. hopefully we can implement him somewhere for a surprise burst play or two.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
the offense produced against two bad defenses

but it sure beats the alternative...
At least in this instance they looked REALLY good.

If it was a half effort where we mustered 17 points, eh. But we put up a convincing 34, and could have broken into the 40s if Byrd doesn't fumble, which is no one else's fault but his own.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
some random thoughts:

lack on interior push on the pass rush is a real problem

Reddick lacks instincts to play ILB. The Cards are likely stuck with him at the position this year, but maybe he should be a 3/4 olb -- closer to the position he played in college. Credit Chris Speilman for pointing out how one false step can leave a TE wide open.

I really like Byron Murphy, but it seems like he played "safe" in his coverage in the 4th quarter.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's NOT the right answer. It NEEDS to be fixed.
You can't fix personnel at this point of the season. It is absolutely the correct answer. The offense needs to know that the defense is going to give up plays so we can't afford to let off the gas. This in turn enables the defense to not press and try to just do their jobs on defense. Those are all good mindsets to have over the remainder of the season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a hater....he is overly critical of himself....why can't he just be happy with his play today.

You know you're not the only one who mentioned that play, right? The difference is everyone else mentioned that play but was righfully effusive of his play otherwise, while you seemed fixated on it and said he was "generally good" otherwise. sorry dude, when a QB throws for 350, 3 TDs and no turnovers, that's a great game. period.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You know you're not the only one who mentioned that play, right? The difference is everyone else mentioned that play but was righfully effusive of his play otherwise, while you seemed fixated on it and said he was "generally good" otherwise. sorry dude, when a QB throws for 350, 3 TDs and no turnovers, that's a great game. period.
People are gonna read and tell themselves whatever story they want. I'm sorry that stating Murray " had a really good game" is not high enough praise for some. Whatever. Talk about being fixated on the negative...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is also funny that prior to today;s game in another thread I was having to defend myself for stating that if Kyler kept progressing he should win 4 or 5 more games this season. So I apparently think more of his abilities than those who provide him with the effusive praise he deserves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also funny that prior to today;s game in another thread I was having to defend myself for stating that if Kyler kept progressing he should win 4 or 5 more games this season. So I apparently think more of his abilities than those who provide him with the effusive praise he deserves.

dude... that was like one or two people who made the claim that a 3 win season would be progress. good lord man... I can never remember you being this way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are gonna read and tell themselves whatever story they want. I'm sorry that stating Murray " had a really good game" is not high enough praise for some. Whatever. Talk about being fixated on the negative...

sigh.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No you were arguing that it would be a failure if they win 3-4 games, but you would be content with their progress with 5-6 wins. I was simply pointing out how I think it is silly to essentially be okay with the season if they win 5 games, but not if they win 4. Just seems like an arbitrary cut off line to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you were arguing that it would be a failure if they win 3-4 games, but you would be content with their progress with 5-6 wins. I was simply pointing out how I think it is silly to essentially be okay with the season if they win 5 games, but not if they win 4. Just seems like an arbitrary cut off line to me.

doesn't to me, mostly because a 4 win team likely is getting pulverized in most games and would only be a one win improvement from last season. a 5-11 team in most cases is woefully mediocre generally, has one surprising win and would be 2 wins better than last year.

and if we're talking the difference between 3-4 wins and 5-6 wins, then you're talking about one scenario where we're just as bad as last year or one win better... but the second scenario is at least 2 games better, if not 3. a difference of 2-3 wins in the NFL isn't a massive jump, but it's a solid progression coming from an abysmal 3 win team last year.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I apparently think more of his abilities than those who provide him with the effusive praise he deserves.
People are excited man... he is injecting hope and optimism into a franchise and fan base.. and that is deserving enough to most from what I've seen.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
dude... that was like one or two people who made the claim that a 3 win season would be progress. good lord man... I can never remember you being this way.
Happy that we have a QB who, if he develops, could be really good? Impatient to see how high our young QB can take his game? Excited to see how awesome this offense could potentially be?

The difference is that I set the bar higher because my expectations are higher. I expect him to throw the ball away when the play is dead. I expect him to reach the ball out and steal a couple yards when he can. I expect him to beat man coverage with his running ability. I expect him to be scary good with his accuracy. I expect him to be a competitive grinder who is never content. I expect him to be smart and not take unnecessary hits or negative plays. I expect him to be a leader who puts the game on his shoulders and makes the play to win. I expect him to make the offensive line better.

I don't talk about him throwing off his back foot anymore because I understand that it is his version of Drew Brees standing on his tip toes. Murray throws the ball like a fade away jump shot and that is how he mitigates his lack of height at times. If he is going to change that, it won't be done during the season. I talk about the little things that an inexperienced rookie QB can be expected to improve on over the course of a season.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy that we have a QB who, if he develops, could be really good? Impatient to see how high our young QB can take his game? Excited to see how awesome this offense could potentially be?

if you really believe this is how you're coming across to people, pass that pipe this way dude because that is some goooooooood ish!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are excited man... he is injecting hope and optimism into a franchise and fan base.. and that is deserving enough to most from what I've seen.

I didn't realize how great his arm is until this season. I am an Aggie so I followed him closely in college. But some of these throws he makes...... holy crap what an arm!

Watch the throw to Byrd. He didnt step into that. He slinged that ball going backwards with his body and got it there on a rope, right on the numbers. He is one hell of a great athlete. Then, his poise... i cant understand how a Cards fan isn't excited and hopeful at this point. We basically lucked into Warner and Palmer getting a second wind in their careers. Other than Plummer, who have the Cards drafted at QB that showed much promise at all in the last 30.years? Leinart did I suppose, but he did not show near the athleticism of Murray

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
doesn't to me, mostly because a 4 win team likely is getting pulverized in most games and would only be a one win improvement from last season. a 5-11 team in most cases is woefully mediocre generally, has one surprising win and would be 2 wins better than last year.

and if we're talking the difference between 3-4 wins and 5-6 wins, then you're talking about one scenario where we're just as bad as last year or one win better... but the second scenario is at least 2 games better, if not 3. a difference of 2-3 wins in the NFL isn't a massive jump, but it's a solid progression coming from an abysmal 3 win team last year.
How you are competing game to game is far more important in the grand scheme of a losing season than the total of wins. Suggesting that you are somehow significantly better at 5 wins than 4 is just a weird argument to me. Literally a missed or made extra point could be the difference in that 1 win.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
if you really believe this is how you're coming across to people, pass that pipe this way dude because that is some goooooooood ish!
People are going to interpret however they want to. I assume I come across like I have high expectations for rookie QB. I think I have realistic expectations for someone who I am hoping is going to be a franchise QB. If Kyler is going to be a franchise QB, he is going to fix the little stuff (like reaching the ball forward when running out of bounds) very quickly. Being a great QB in the NFL is about focusing on the little things...the more of those little things Kyler starts getting right, the closer he gets to being a great QB.