Falcons at Cardinals gameday thread 10-13-19

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want to blame Vance Joseph, but with a rookie S and a rookie CB and Haason Reddick...I can't be confident that his scheme is 100% the problem. It could be, but I can't be for sure.
Wait, I thought being a rookie is just an excuse . . .
And Reddick was the 13th pick, aren’t we supposed to have high expectations for high draft picks . . . ?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Football Perspective (@fbgchase)
10/13/19, 5:53 PM
Matt Ryan and the Falcons threw for 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and had a 140+ passer rating.... and lost.

This is only the 3rd time this has happened in NFL history, and the first time it's happened since... Matt Ryan lost a game to the Saints like this in 2018.
This just shows how bad our d was and still pulled off the w with Kyler at the helm. I'm on board. ;)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strike while the iron is hot. Their leverage will never be greater.
From what I saw in the 2Q of today's game, we can't afford to let any CB talent go.

Problem wasn't solely due to poor jamming techniques or knowledge of the scheme - our corners (specifically Murphy) simply couldn't keep up with their guys on slant routes. We ned PP21 and (if & when he's healthy) Alford.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
From what I saw in the 2Q of today's game, we can't afford to let any CB talent go.

Problem wasn't solely due to poor jamming techniques or knowledge of the scheme - our corners (specifically Murphy) simply couldn't keep up with their guys on slant routes. We ned PP21 and (if & when he's healthy) Alford.

We can’t afford to let any talent go. I will be happy to see the weak links replaced though (like Reddick). The defense will be redesigned next season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE the term "haters", almost always stick up for those deemed as such, but good gravy folks... the people who still refuse to admit the Kyler pick was the right way to go and that he has such tremendous upside AND has been playing very very well overall on the season for a rookie... are just that.

actually... they're probably not even haters. it's a matter of vanity at this point refusing to admit they were wrong in their non-stop bashing of the kid and pick. And again, the Kyler-cult didn't make it easy on them claiming he was going to be Football Jesus the second he stepped on the field, but give credit where credit's due. The kid is pretty much singleh-handedly winning us games the last two weeks with very little legit talent around him.

that was the first game i've gone to in probably two years that was a W. Once they get just a little more talent around Kyler, this offense, which is already light years beyong last year and already an average NFL offense, could be really scary,

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed. The lack of pressure up front does not help either. But personally I have an issue with it becoming a problem late in the game...that screams lack of adjustments to me. But again...jmo

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is murray not attacking that first down line like his life depends on it? Instead he holds it with his right hand and skates out of bounds. Lucky break for us that the call stands.
Self preservation. Ask yourself this: How many games would we win if Murray got cold-cocked and wound up on IR?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I HATE the term "haters", almost always stick up for those deemed as such, but good gravy folks... the people who still refuse to admit the Kyler pick was the right way to go and that he has such tremendous upside AND has been playing very very well overall on the season for a rookie... are just that.

actually... they're probably not even haters. it's a matter of vanity at this point refusing to admit they were wrong in their non-stop bashing of the kid and pick. And again, the Kyler-cult didn't make it easy on them claiming he was going to be Football Jesus the second he stepped on the field, but give credit where credit's due. The kid is pretty much singleh-handedly winning us games the last two weeks with very little legit talent around him.

that was the first game i've gone to in probably two years that was a W. Once they get just a little more talent around Kyler, this offense, which is already light years beyong last year and already an average NFL offense, could be really scary,
If it wasn't for the haters it would get boring around here.. I love em. :)

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Self preservation. Ask yourself this: How many games would we win if Murray got cold-cocked and wound up on IR?

The Falcons Defensive linemen were laugh at him and pointing him down when he slid for a one yard loss in the first quarter. The joke was on them. I will take a slide over an Andrew Luck situation

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Hard for me to complain right now, I'll say that. Makes me want to go hop on the sticks in Madden.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard for me to complain right now, I'll say that. Makes me want to go hop on the sticks in Madden.
I sometimes think people are too hard on Kyler.

However, I visited the Texans forum and there were a quite a few skeptical about Watson just a couple weeks ago. Again this is now MVP candidate Watson who looked rough vs. the Panthers.

Bottom line is no fanbase is 100% sold on their QB until years worth of strong play. Outside of Brady, Brees, its all guesswork.

So both sides of the debate are needed until he goes out there and does it. Keeps things in perspective.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I sometimes think people are too hard on Kyler.

However, I visited the Texans forum and there were a quite a few skeptical about Watson just a couple weeks ago. Again this is now MVP candidate Watson who looked rough vs. the Panthers.

Bottom line is no fanbase is 100% sold on their QB until years worth of strong play. Outside of Brady, Brees, its all guesswork.

So both sides of the debate are needed until he goes out there and does it. Keeps things in perspective.

Watson and Mahomes both deserve significant skepticism for what their teams gave up for them. Both have essentially proved it's pointless.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So you think a rookie is given this leeway time after time during an onslaught of yards being allowed? I don't. I still think it's scheme... He is a little too slow to respond.. but that's just what I see.
CBs set their own coverage depth. When they feel threatened they get out of their backpedal and turn. If your CBs are allowing too much cushion coaches tell them during the game that they need to contest the break and play the sticks. However, guys will still play to their comfort level even after that. You go back to the film and point it out. They work on it during the week. Next week we see what happens.

This is why you want CBs with confidence, competitiveness, and with speed. Those traits tend to translate to guys who are willing to play with less cushion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose