My Biggest Concern About Kyler Murray

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I'm thrilled with his play in the first five games of his NFL career. But it was his play in the Bengals game that has me concerned. He kept drives alive with both his arms and his legs. He ran well. But, perhaps too well. His success will only encourage him to stick with what is working. But I go back to RGIII, who was having a VG rookie year until he got hit on a run. And I don't want KM to suffer the same fate. Now I'm posting this in a sort of reverse jinx, as I'm mostly wrong about my FB predictions. For instance, I thought Cleveland was going to beat SF, last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I'm thrilled with his play in the first five games of his NFL career. But it was his play in the Bengals game that has me concerned. He kept drives alive with both his arms and his legs. He ran well. But, perhaps too well. His success will only encourage him to stick with what is working. But I go back to RGIII, who was having a VG rookie year until he got hit on a run. And I don't want KM to suffer the same fate. Now I'm posting this in a sort of reverse jinx, as I'm mostly wrong about my FB predictions. For instance, I thought Cleveland was going to beat SF, last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I agree with your assessment. Did RGIII attempt to avoid contact / go down? Murray appears to avoid the hits if possible. Obviously, in the NFL trying to avoid hits doesn't always work out. That said, sitting in the pocket doesn't always avoid hit either. Do you think if he can establish that he can run that the fear of him running could open passing lanes etc?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Here's the biggest difference with Kyler running against the Bengals vs the 1st 4 games...

He's now running up through the pocket...he's no longer running sideways and backwards...this is helping him dictate his exposure to hits, etc. He's less likely to take a blind hit this way. Also, running up through the pocket makes him way more dangerous and will eventually require defenses to leave a spy for him, making more 1 on 1 matchups for receivers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A lot of things contributed to RG3's initial injury, including his size (6'2" according to Pro Football Reference) creating more torque on his knees with those hits), Mike Shanahan running him out there before he was healthy and the perennially awful surface that the Washington team plays on.

Hopefully, none of these apply to our guy.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A lot of things contributed to RG3's initial injury, including his size (6'2" according to Pro Football Reference) creating more torque on his knees with those hits), Mike Shanahan running him out there before he was healthy and the perennially awful surface that the Washington team plays on.

RG3 was also a hurdler. His gangly running style + the inability to protect himself is what doomed him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that I think he should have got that touchdown instead of sliding down at the 3 yard line. He could have ran into his blockers back and pushed forward.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Exactly!

Also, his size was his biggest weakness IMO regarding contact. Kyler's size causes him to innately shy away from hits where the bigger statured QB's tend to want absorb them more. Looking for that "Tough Yard" causes more injuries than anything IMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly!

Also, his size was his biggest weakness IMO regarding contact. Kyler's size causes him to innately shy away from hits where the bigger statured QB's tend to want absorb them more. Looking for that "Tough Yard" causes more injuries than anything IMO.

It still boggles my mind at how difficult it was for RG3 to slide. There were a few times when it appeared he actually hurt himself while trying to slide. It would appear he never played baseball.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
KM has the great ability to avoid hits. He runs like young Russell Wilson. Can slide in a pinch. Very controlled runner, not like some of the big scramblers that rush too fast, lose balance and get exposed.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm more worried about his inability so far to get the team a TD once reaching the red zone than his rushing.

his rushing ability(along with our talented running backs) should hopefully help out our receivers.

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
I am a Baylor grad and season ticket holder for years. RGIII tore his ACL his sophomore year and was injury prone once he got to the NFL. As others have said, KM avoids getting hit unlike RGIII. I was afraid RGIII wouldn't make it long in the NFL based on how he played. Anyone can get hurt at any time but we want KM running smart like he did against the Bengals.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Rookie Year Redzone Passing Stats:

Russell in 2012: 34/59 57.6% 18TD's. 0 INT's.
Kyler in 2019 through 5 games: 16/29 55.2% 3TD. 0 INT's. On pace for 51/92 10 TD's 0 INT's.

I think there is precedent for improvement here if we all just exercise some patience. Russell got much better as his season rolled along.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I still have not seen Murray take a hard legit NFL hit if at all. Now, he will get hit eventually be it while roaming the pocket or running for yards... but that is part of his game and the modern position of what we call QB, natural to worry about the possibility but also cannot get caught up in the what ifs

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned because of the way he runs. I'd be pissed if a running back ran like him, but a QB should run like he does...cautiously. Every time he runs, you can see that he is looking to protect himself.

White Castle is opening a location in Scottsdale this month.

They need to sponsor Murray because he is a "slider." ;)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rookie Year Redzone Passing Stats:

Russell in 2012: 34/59 57.6% 18TD's. 0 INT's.
Kyler in 2019 through 5 games: 16/29 55.2% 3TD. 0 INT's. On pace for 51/92 10 TD's 0 INT's.

I think there is precedent for improvement here if we all just exercise some patience. Russell got much better as his season rolled along.

Keep in mind that when the Seahawks drafted Wilson they were coming off a 7-9 season (2011) with 5 Pro Bowl players (Marshawn Lynch & 4 Legion of Boom defensive studs). Their QB was Tarvaris Jackson. With that D, and better QB play, they were more like a 10-6 team. Needless to say, Wilson inherited a much better team than Murray did. The 2012 Seattle team with Wilson was 11-5 with 6 Pro Bowl Players. One of which was Wilson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when the Seahawks drafted Wilson they were coming off a 7-9 season (2011) with 5 Pro Bowl players (Marshawn Lynch & 4 Legion of Boom defensive studs). Their QB was Tarvaris Jackson. With that D, and better QB play, they were more like a 10-6 team. Needless to say, Wilson inherited a much better team than Murray did. The 2012 Seattle team with Wilson was 11-5 with 6 Pro Bowl Players. One of which was Wilson.

I'd also add that Murray has half of the red zone attempts that Russ had as a rookie in just 5 games. Counting stats for Murray in this offense are going to be pretty meaningless. You have to look at rate and efficiency.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I still have not seen Murray take a hard legit NFL hit if at all. Now, he will get hit eventually be it while roaming the pocket or running for yards... but that is part of his game and the modern position of what we call QB, natural to worry about the possibility but also cannot get caught up in the what ifs

He took a solid hit on a designed run last week. Cincy got him after a one yard gain. He seemed held up and another D Lineman popped him. Maybe I saw it differently.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why are they even being compared? Two completely different throwers and running styles.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals (read Kingsbury) didn't make Murray an integral part of the running game until after Baltimore's Jackson torched them. It is a desperation move that greatly ups the odds of Murray getting injured.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He took a solid hit on a designed run last week. Cincy got him after a one yard gain. He seemed held up and another D Lineman popped him. Maybe I saw it differently.

What really needs to said is when he hit a secondary guy and that guy and not him was the one feeling tipsy which made me laugh my ass off lol