On the defense and the clock management

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Cards fans are aware of this not sure that it got enough attention yesterday. A significant portion of the game yesterday saw us with rookies Murphy and the Thompsons in there at DB with Kevin Peterson who was a UDFA who played part of 1 year with the Rams, tore his ACL and was out all last year.

So that's 3 rookies plus a guy who hasn't played in a year getting significant numbers of snaps. It was actually pretty impressive we held even a depleted WR group in check as long as we did. But then when it was right there to win, I felt like we went way too soft on D and let them go right down the field.

And again pointed this out yesterday, even on the scoring drive we were far too cavalier with the clock. There was a screen where Murray threw it away, the ball was snapped with over 20 seconds on the play clock, even the announcer commented on it because it seems like a hurry up to run a screen isn't necessarily what you should be doing. Then the 16 second drive.

Kyler bailed us out on the FG drive but that was really poorly handled the last 8 minutes or so.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was thinking the same when we were in the hurry up. Still our D should be able to pressure the QB when up by 14 in the 4th quarter. It was pathetic.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thinking the same when we were in the hurry up. Still our D should be able to pressure the QB when up by 14 in the 4th quarter. It was pathetic.

I couldnt believe we werent blitzing. Pitt has 8 sacks on them last week. Our Dline is SOOOO bad.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldnt believe we werent blitzing. Pitt has 8 sacks on them last week. Our Dline is SOOOO bad.

I was watching it seems like they had 2 and at times 3 guys on Chandler Jones and just took their chances with everyone else. There were a couple of plays where we got someone in Dalton's face right as he threw it, one time it was Reddick I forget the other, but for the most part yeah he had way too much time. I was guessing the lack of blitzing was a function of the young secondary we had some communication errors that hurt us there but yeah it was not good.

But the defense on their first TD drive was precisely why prevent defenses have such a bad reputation in the NFL, right down the field for a TD in I htink 3 minutes.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Buckybird has pointed this out prior with Kingsbury at Texas Tech, clock management is not his forte. I did not agree at the end when he ran the clock down with no way to make up for span left if something was botched at the attempt, but Kingsbury has shown me something which I seldom ever see which is a young coach who is actually adapting each game by impressive increments... really, the most humble coach I have seen in a while which is flashing in neon lights after the dichotomy which is Arians who used arrogance as a virtue

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Suggs still looks old. Absolutely right about clock management.

Reaction score
I know Cards fans are aware of this not sure that it got enough attention yesterday. A significant portion of the game yesterday saw us with rookies Murphy and the Thompsons in there at DB with Kevin Peterson who was a UDFA who played part of 1 year with the Rams, tore his ACL and was out all last year.

So that's 3 rookies plus a guy who hasn't played in a year getting significant numbers of snaps. It was actually pretty impressive we held even a depleted WR group in check as long as we did. But then when it was right there to win, I felt like we went way too soft on D and let them go right down the field.

And again pointed this out yesterday, even on the scoring drive we were far too cavalier with the clock. There was a screen where Murray threw it away, the ball was snapped with over 20 seconds on the play clock, even the announcer commented on it because it seems like a hurry up to run a screen isn't necessarily what you should be doing. Then the 16 second drive.

Kyler bailed us out on the FG drive but that was really poorly handled the last 8 minutes or so.

Kevin Peterson hasn't looked too bad for udfa.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The defensive line is a serious issue. Gunther wouldn't even make most rosters. Bullard is a waiver wire pickup. Corey Peters is very likable, but by no means should he be the best player on a defensive line. Especially at this stage of his career.

Meanwhile, Calais is still playing like Calais, Xavier Williams is starting for the Chiefs, etc. #keimtime