OT: Jay Gruden fired

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Gruden fired

The Jay Gruden era in Washington is over.

Gruden was fired Monday morning after falling to 0-5 on Sunday, according to multiple reports.

The move had been long anticipated, as it became increasingly clear that Gruden wasn’t seeing eye to eye with owner Dan Snyder and front office boss Bruce Allen.

In six seasons in Washington, Gruden only made the playoffs once, in 2015, and lost in the wild card round that year. He finishes with a record of 35-50-1, counting that one playoff game.

There’s no word yet on who will take over as the interim coach for the rest of this season, but Snyder and Allen are likely to want someone who will prioritize developing rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins.

Gruden reportedly didn’t want to draft Haskins, and their disagreements on that put his job in jeopardy. He needed to have a good season to save his job, and this season has been anything but good.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the factors seems to be the drafting of Dwayne Haskins. The coaching staff wanted nothing to do with drafting Haskins and the front office, Allen and Snyder, demanded the choice. When Gruden did not play Haskins, his fate was sealed.

That Snyder called Haskins on Thursday night to say the Redskins were selecting him with the 15th pick speaks to how invested the owner was in the selection.

• Author: Les Carpenter

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dumb to fire a coach this early in the season. Interim coaches rarely have player's support. Total wasted season for the Redskins.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Dumb to fire a coach this early in the season. Interim coaches rarely have player's support. Total wasted season for the Redskins.
And they have huge showdown with Miami this week...Going for #1!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree. This happens when the HC & Owner literally cannot talk to one another. Snyder is an absolute douchebag. Gruden is a very good OC & may work himself back to a HC position soon enough.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a direct correlation between bad team records and perceived bad owners?

e.g.
Miami - Ross
Bengals - Brown
Redskins - Snyder
Jets - Woody Johnson
Cards - Bidwill

Is this "cause and effect" ? Meddling owners ?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nostradamus predicted Dwayne Haskins will be the next starting QB for Red****s.

Qb roster

1. Alex Smith - IR
2. Case Keenum
3. Colt McCoy

10. Dwayne Haskins

Good Luck Bill Callahan

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Gruden is an awesome OC. Wonder where he goes next...... Maybe Oakland?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that's why they did it now it's a setup game they should win and then they can say see the new coach and new QB galvanized the team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree. This happens when the HC & Owner literally cannot talk to one another. Snyder is an absolute douchebag. Gruden is a very good OC & may work himself back to a HC position soon enough.
So you agree in this situation but disagree when it was the Browns last year?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you agree in this situation but disagree when it was the Browns last year?

The point I was trying to make was that some HC's get fired this early because they just flat out can't communicate anymore with their GM and/or Owner. I think that was the case with Gruden. He certainly didn't have a great overall record, but he did win 35 games. Jackson was fired due to winning 3 of 40 games. Jackson will never be a HC again, whereas I'm confident that Gruden may.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Grudens first gig wasn't very good, it's like Bowles first gig. Bad owners and Jets and Washington are really worse than our, bring you in this situations.

A GM drafting a QB when the HC doesn't want him, is just the first step to the hot seat.

Gruden wasn't great sometimes but made RGIII to ROY and Cousin to one of the best payed QB ever.

And that most of the time with supbar lineup, so I think a pair of years as a OC and he will have a new HC gig, like Bowles eventually.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would be strange but could happen if Fins fire Chad O'Shea OC and hire Jay Gruden as the new OC to groom Rosen. Stranger things have happened.