Kyler Murray Stat Line vs Bengals

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I feel good, and happy for the kid to get his first win. Fighting against a bad Bengals team? I would hope for more TDs... but I'm not going to complain.

He's clearly not Michael Vick or Russell Wilson, but he's also not Kevin Kolb or Derek Anderson, so that's good. I'll let Kyler Murray be Kyler Murray if he can grow. Our offense has to learn how to score in the red zone. That may be Kyler, that may be Kliff, but it has to be resolved.

That said, there are some some teams in such tricky situations that I can't guarantee we'll have the chance to pick someone better, so I guess this win and a tie count as success to some degree. Tua won't be there for us, so I can't hate it.

(Again) Go Cards!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Oh, I do want to say, I'm incredibly furious that we're sitting here after 4 picks at WR in two years, genuinely asking to get Kyler a #1 receiver. But that's on Keim, and not Kyler (maybe Kliff, because lol Isabella).

egomaniac247

Veteran
Reaction score
He's played better than I thought he would.

We just don't have the talent around him. And for the love of God can we PLEASE stop trying the corner fade on every trip inside the 5 yard line? That is one throw that Kyler just cannot make.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel good, and happy for the kid to get his first win. Fighting against a bad Bengals team? I would hope for more TDs... but I'm not going to complain.

He's clearly not Michael Vick or Russell Wilson, but he's also not Kevin Kolb or Derek Anderson, so that's good. I'll let Kyler Murray be Kyler Murray if he can grow. Our offense has to learn how to score in the red zone. That may be Kyler, that may be Kliff, but it has to be resolved.

That said, there are some some teams in such tricky situations that I can't guarantee we'll have the chance to pick someone better, so I guess this win and a tie count as success to some degree. Tua won't be there for us, so I can't hate it.

(Again) Go Cards!
I was disappointed in him getting caught...

He doesn't scramble/throw for big yards like Russell Wilson does. He may never have that. The weight gain...yea not quite Vick fast.

Still I think he makes more in the pocket down field throws with accuracy than Vick/Wilson did as rookie/young players.

Just needs to show more "special" plays like those guys. That last drive was the glimpse we were looking for.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

(Again) Go Cards!
He’s clearly ahead of Vick passing wise than Vick ever was already.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s clearly ahead of Vick passing wise than Vick ever was already.
I think he meant in terms of how special of a runner/scrambler he is.

Vick was special as a runner. Wilson is special as a scrambler.

I saw some signs from Kyler today as a runner though.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cooper had a clutch catch...Johnson had 2 awesome sideline catches...Fitz caught a couple clutch 3rd down passes...heck, even Clay had an important grab... but yeah, nobody is helping him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I mean big plays like touching the end zone, making points

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Certainly this game showed improvement. That said there’s still much work to be done. The big change was Murray doing a better job of choosing when to run. However the Cincy rush was mostly non-existent. They also were easily suckered out of the middle of the field leaving a huge void in which Murray could run. I thought he was still hesitant to choose himself on run options.

He did a better job of throwing midrange passes, again aided by a poor rush. The lack of deep throws crowds the field. Murray did a better job of displaying his accuracy.

Murray still stares down primary receivers and seldom uses progressions to find better throwing opportunities even when he has time. I beginning to worry if his height is an issue in seeing the whole field. He’s hurrying his throws and may feel insecure. He needs to be bolder.

Murray is still the victim of horrendous play calling. KK’s ego sees to force him to show off his designer plays when the standard offense is moving the ball. His red zone calls are right out of high school. His pedestrian choices on early downs too often leave Murray with long third downs. Finally KK seems to command a limited amount of discipline. Penalties kill or aggravate too many drives.

I’m now certain Murray can make it in the NFL. I also believe the jury is still out on KK. I do know I’d like him better as an OC.

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm more concerned with Keim than with the obvious growth by both coach and QB. This is a rebuild. It's going to be on Keim to find the talent this team needs to compete. It's hard to judge the defensive coaching...the cupboard is bare. Suggs is done...Bullard...linebackers are one step slow.
I will enjoy this win. It may be the only one.
It's a rebuild.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's played better than I thought he would.

We just don't have the talent around him. And for the love of God can we PLEASE stop trying the corner fade on every trip inside the 5 yard line? That is one throw that Kyler just cannot make.
The corner route today may have worked if Sherfield would have turned the right way.

Lot of talk about red zone and I agree. But getting to the red zone was a big problem last year. That’s no longer the case.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The good news is that he has more character than Baker Mayfield and spend his entire offseason filming commercials and planning a wedding. The bad news is that opponents will have a year of tape to prepare for. Would like to see him punch the ball in the end zone more, but I think that will come with time. A win against the Falcons would be huge for confidence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Certainly this game showed improvement. That said there’s still much work to be done. The big change was Murray doing a better job of choosing when to run. However the Cincy rush was mostly non-existent. They also were easily suckered out of the middle of the field leaving a huge void in which Murray could run. I thought he was still hesitant to choose himself on run options.

He did a better job of throwing midrange passes, again aided by a poor rush. The lack of deep throws crowds the field. Murray did a better job of displaying his accuracy.

Murray still stares down primary receivers and seldom uses progressions to find better throwing opportunities even when he has time. I beginning to worry if his height is an issue in seeing the whole field. He’s hurrying his throws and may feel insecure. He needs to be bolder.

Murray is still the victim of horrendous play calling. KK’s ego sees to force him to show off his designer plays when the standard offense is moving the ball. His red zone calls are right out of high school. His pedestrian choices on early downs too often leave Murray with long third downs. Finally KK seems to command a limited amount of discipline. Penalties kill or aggravate too many drives.

I’m now certain Murray can make it in the NFL. I also believe the jury is still out on KK. I do know I’d like him better as an OC.
Poor rush = good blocking

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he meant in terms of how special of a runner/scrambler he is.

Vick was special as a runner. Wilson is special as a scrambler.

I saw some signs from Kyler today as a runner though.

Because of his inaccuracy, Vick was an average NFL QB. K1 may not be as fast as Vick, but he’s a significantly better passer of the football & is still a very dangerous runner in the open field. K1 is far more cerebral than Vick could ever dream of being.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK still gets too cute at the wrong times. Puts the team in bad position. Love what I saw from KM today. The red zone offense needs more TE involvement and we had some bad penalties today. Some were phantom calls IMO.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Because of his inaccuracy, Vick was an average NFL QB. K1 may not be as fast as Vick, but he’s a significantly better passer of the football & is still a very dangerous runner in the open field. K1 is far more cerebral than Vick could ever dream of being.

I think "very dangerous" is a fair description.

It's not just his speed, which is excellent, but it's his ability to change direction so suddenly that makes him deadly effective in the open field. I think this was pretty evident today.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No doubt.

However, there are/were a lot of guys far more ceberal than Vick that never panned out.

RG3, Manziel...

Guys like Tyrod Taylor are more ceberal than Vick, but never had his impact on the game.

Ultimately, we need Kyler to be a special passer that also has very good speed.

I do think he's capable of being that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler had 81.8 QBR today. Best of his young career.

Not bad for only having 1 td on the game.

If we can just convert in the redzone..

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think "very dangerous" is a fair description.

It's not just his speed, which is excellent, but it's his ability to change direction so suddenly that makes him deadly effective in the open field. I think this was pretty evident today.

The change of direction impressed me more than the speed .

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No doubt.

However, there are/were a lot of guys far more ceberal than Vick that never panned out.

RG3, Manziel...

Guys like Tyrod Taylor are more ceberal than Vick, but never had his impact on the game.

Ultimately, we need Kyler to be a special passer that also has very good speed.

I do think he's capable of being that.
None of the guys you mentioned were nearly as dynamic of athletes as Kyler (except maybe RG3, but he had devastating injuries). Taylor is no where near the athlete or the thrower that Kyler is and Manziel was just really good at improvising in college, but once he got to the NFL his athleticism, arm strength and mechanics were exposed.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
None of the guys you mentioned were nearly as dynamic of athletes as Kyler (except maybe RG3, but he had devastating injuries). Taylor is no where near the athlete or the thrower that Kyler is and Manziel was just really good at improvising in college, but once he got to the NFL his athleticism, arm strength and mechanics were exposed.
Eh..
Tyrod has low 4.5 speed and was probably the quickest QB in the NFL for a number of years. No he wasn't the passer Kyler is...but again just an example of good athletic QB, but not great.

RG3 was still a 4.4 guy after the injury, but just couldn't read defenses fast enough.

Colin Kaepernick is another one who was very dynamic early on (more cerebral than Vick)

To me its all about that extra "special" that separates good from great. (Personally I only think Vick was great in Philly)

Russell Wilson has that special something working for him. Hoping the same for Kyler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson