Time to trade David Johnson

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cards aren't using him. 7 touches? Really?

Also, has anyone noticed that Murray and Joh son doing really congrat together? Seems after the passing TD to Johnson in the first game, Murray went to Johnson and there wasn't much of a excitement between them? With his TD yesterday, Murray just ran to the sideline and didn't even congratulate Johnson. Just seems they are having issues with each other.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the blocks that Johnson himself admitted that he whiffed on. He has 14 games to prove he has heart or he is not on the roster next season. Very nonchalant about his failures

He's pretty nonchalant about his successes. Maybe, just maybe - that's his personality and one shouldn't read too much into it.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards aren't using him. 7 touches? Really?

Also, has anyone noticed that Murray and Joh son doing really congrat together? Seems after the passing TD to Johnson in the first game, Murray went to Johnson and there wasn't much of a excitement between them? With his TD yesterday, Murray just ran to the sideline and didn't even congratulate Johnson. Just seems they are having issues with each other.

Or.... wait for this... they have similar personalities and tend to standoff.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has less drive than a broken down pickup truck

Give me a call when he actually breaks a single tackle

Watch - he falls on first contact -
Once you read that and look for it it's gonna make you sick watching him

I'll add his blocking has fallen off as well. He missed 2 blitz pickups BAD that should have allowed Murray time to throw.

Love the guy as a person and his interviews, but on the field ....I'd trade him if the cap wasn't killed by Keim with DJ's deal.

Ramsey for DJ - make the numbers work Keim

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite ready to throw him on the scrap heap. I would like to see him more behind a run dominant set. If he did it in the first game then thee is reason to believe he can do it again.

That being said maybe it would be good to let him watch from the sidelines and give Edmonds a shot at starting. I don’t think that is going to happen. But good running backs get stronger as the game rolls on. As a team I think most of us believe we have to run the ball a bit more or at least attempt to.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a speed back in the worst way. DJ is just to slow to hit the hole and I question his vision when the initial hole is closed off, zero cut backs against the flow. Edmonds runs much harder right now, but we really do not have a true home run threat at the RB position. Yes our OL isn’t the greatest but DJ gets tackled by air sometimes. For a guy as built as him he goes down at first contact a lot. Easily tripped up.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
He’s running like he closes his eyes as soon as he gets the ball. I just watched the highlights from today’s games of running backs running over defenders and meanwhile David Johnson looks like he’s shuffling up to the line bracing to get hit. he is a complete shell of himself from 2016

motion3

Reaction score
It would certainly help if this team had a speedy running back. David Johnson looks so slow. It's like he's little more than a possession receiver now.

To run from shotgun they really need someone with that extra burst. David has lost all of his explosiveness.

I think it would settle the rookie a bit if he didn't have to do all of the running and throwing.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think Kiem reads the public scouting reports before he drafts players?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-johnson?id=2552377
This scouting report is so accurate

Questionable vision. Looks to make cuts instead of keeping the run play-side. Scouts want to see more fire in his play demeanor. Play strength and blocking are problems. Goes down too easily.

BOTTOM LINE
Johnson lacks the short-area quickness to be a consistently effective every-down running back, but he has good size, speed and hands so he can't just be dismissed. He doesn't run routes well enough and isn't sudden enough to be a wide receiver, so he might have to be a third-down back with kick-return potential.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This scouting report is so accurate

Questionable vision. Looks to make cuts instead of keeping the run play-side. Scouts want to see more fire in his play demeanor. Play strength and blocking are problems. Goes down too easily.

BOTTOM LINE
Johnson lacks the short-area quickness to be a consistently effective every-down running back, but he has good size, speed and hands so he can't just be dismissed. He doesn't run routes well enough and isn't sudden enough to be a wide receiver, so he might have to be a third-down back with kick-return potential.
Maybe accurate to right now, but this looks silly to what he was a couple years ago.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
158 yards from scrimmage for DJ today.

17 for 91 on the ground (5.4 per carry)

3 catches for 65 yards, including two elite RB-level catches on the side lines. Pretty sure Edmonds is not making those catches (although I'm glad he's on the team).

David Johnson was a big part of the win today.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3 catches for 65 yards, including two elite RB-level catches on the sides lines. Pretty sure Edmonds is not making those catches (although I'm glad he's on the team).

3 catches for 65 yards, including two elite RB-level catches on the sides lines. Pretty sure Edmonds is not making those catches (although I'm glad he's on the team).

He had a really good game again and no way in hell Edmunds makes those catches. I like Edmunds and he should get about 8-10 touches a game but that’s it.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trade DJ for what and to whom? Unless you find a GM that has been in a coma for 3 years who is going to give you anything? He has great hands as a WR. Given the state of the team I say just keep spreading him out. I would rather see him catch the ball than Trent Sherfield.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great game.. played with much more burst today and can catch that football for sure. Still would like a little more Edmunds between the tackles..but for now it seems to be a good synergy back there.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
People hating on DJ right now is as bad a people still hating on Kyler. Nuff said! Without them this franchise would likely have almost zero bright spots to look forward too into our future as an organization going forward.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Trade DJ for what and to whom? Unless you find a GM that has been in a coma for 3 years who is going to give you anything?
KC, Houston, Philly, Tampa?

Just to name a couple.

I wouldn't trade him though. He is still a stud. Just cant block.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The issue with DJ has always been that he helps Murray more than his ballooned salary hurts the Cardinals. You aren't going to get from someone else what he is worth to this team. Again, his issues are salary in relation to his level of play more than it is his actual level of play.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if DJ has put on too much weight( muscle) but it seems to take him longer to get up to speed. Edmonds seems to be near full speed on his third step. It appears DJ needs about five. That being said using him like we did today is good and with 2 backs sets defenses can’t cheat because they are both capable receivers.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I don’t know if DJ has put on too much weight( muscle) but it seems to take him longer to get up to speed. Edmonds seems to be near full speed on his third step. It appears DJ needs about five. That being said using him like we did today is good and with 2 backs sets defenses can’t cheat because they are both capable receivers.

He's always been this way, I don't understand the notion that he's lost his burst. He's the type of player to make you miss in space.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He’s still on pace for around 1,700 total yards and 10 TDs. You don’t just replace that. He has lost his top gear and I think we’ve all under estimated the effect of that serious leg injury in what should’ve been his 1K/1K season. That said, he is still a very good RB who can make people miss when used correctly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave