Our “air raid” offense

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not debating that Kingsbury doesn't have a good handle on what Andy can do, but some players are much better in game settings. Get him out there for more than just a smattering of plays.

Kingsbury VISIBLY was excited about the pick. Everyone was.

Yeah but a second round pick should be contributing to the team, our scouting department isn't good.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think our WR and TE are that bad, we played defenses that yearly are known as good defenses. Seattle, Baltimore, Panthers and Lions. And With BA we needed 6 games till the O really clicked.

We see that we got better from the first quarter played till now and I would stop with complaining now and take a more wait and see apporach.

Our WR weren't bad, Fitz is still good, Kirk showed he is good and you couln't hope that our rookies made more than 400-600 yards in year one when you have Fitz, Kirk and DJ as other recievers.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Still remember our war room when the Rosen trade went down and who to pick, KK was excited as hell and said Isabella would make us a better offense immediately... :blush:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isabella should be able to stretch the defense but can’t crack the starting line-up. They need more reverses with him.
Air Raid does not need to stretch the defense. 3.5 seconds or < to throw the damned ball is the system. It is a repetition thing. Run 5 plays to perfection and D can't stop it. Just catch the damned ball.

Here is a primer;

http://rockchalkblog.com/2015/05/26/what-is-the-air-raid-offense/

and

https://coachtube.com/course/footba...ng-the-secrets-of-the-air-raid-offense/520408

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kliff sees Isabella for hundreds of reps every week in practice. He has a pretty good idea if he can play, and apparently he can’t right now.

this is like people wondering why TJ Logan couldn’t get reps. It turned out because he couldn’t play.

Rookie Andy Isabella, who has played mostly slot receiver since being drafted in the second round in April, is moving to the outside for the time being, Kingsbury said. Isabella looked explosive on a jet sweep against the Seahawks but has yet to catch a pass in limited playing time. He is expected to back up KeeSean Johnson and Trent Sherfield on Sunday.

“We’re going to continue to try to get him comfortable at one spot,” Kingsbury said. “I think that’s the biggest thing that has kind of slowed his development, is we’ve moved him around so much. But he’s coming on, and I expect him to continue to get more time. It’s not for lack of effort or talent or anything like that.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/christian-kirk-s-ankle-injury-not-as-severe-as-feared

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not debating that Kingsbury doesn't have a good handle on what Andy can do, but some players are much better in game settings. Get him out there for more than just a smattering of plays.

It was clearly the guy Kingsbury wanted.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rookie Andy Isabella, who has played mostly slot receiver since being drafted in the second round in April, is moving to the outside for the time being, Kingsbury said. Isabella looked explosive on a jet sweep against the Seahawks but has yet to catch a pass in limited playing time. He is expected to back up KeeSean Johnson and Trent Sherfield on Sunday.

“We’re going to continue to try to get him comfortable at one spot,” Kingsbury said. “I think that’s the biggest thing that has kind of slowed his development, is we’ve moved him around so much. But he’s coming on, and I expect him to continue to get more time. It’s not for lack of effort or talent or anything like that.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/christian-kirk-s-ankle-injury-not-as-severe-as-feared
I read this and thought ti was funny that they said learning a lot of WR positions is stunting his growth and he has been playing at slot but we are moving him to outside receiver :shrug:

Reaction score
I read this and thought ti was funny that they said learning a lot of WR positions is stunting his growth and he has been playing at slot but we are moving him to outside receiver :shrug:

He played outside in college.

'' Fast forward three years after his freshman season and Isabella truly dominated at outside wide receiver in 2018.''

“All Senior Bowl week, I was in the slot, and it was frustrating,” Isabella said. “That whole week was almost like an adjustment. But I definitely learned a lot from that week and got better playing in the slot and got kind of used to that role I might have to play.

“In the slot, you really have to run precise routes. You can’t really use your speed to get open. So, [the Senior Bowl] really helped me work on my routes that week.”

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-andy-isabella-is-much-more-than-a-slot-receiver-can-do-it-all

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Uh...every 2 plays equals a first down then and we run a lot of plays.

That doesn't sound like a problem to me. The issue is execution...we aren't scoring TD's.

5 ypp for a back is great. 3.4 not so even tho technically that would be enough to sustain a drive if it happened every play.

Reality is with the avg we may bang out a 10 yard pass for a 1st followed up with a 1, 6 and 2 on the next set of downs to end the drive.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Big deal. What does Kingsbury know about what it takes to be successful in the NFL? He’s never coached a down of it in his life prior to be handed this job.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Big deal. What does Kingsbury know about what it takes to be successful in the NFL? He’s never coached a down of it in his life prior to be handed this job.

Probably knows that better than most. He watched 1st hand possibly the greatest coach & qb in action on Superbowl winning team.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is such little talent on this team. Jury is out on air raid offense. Two coaching staffs in two years, same results. Bye Keim.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Probably knows that better than most. He watched 1st hand possibly the greatest coach & qb in action on Superbowl winning team.

So did Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
10/2/19, 11:32 AM
Cardinals have had 47 offensive possessions in four games. They've scored six touchdowns. Comparatively, defense has been on field for 45 possessions. Opponents have 12 touchdowns.
That's 42 points more for our opponents assuming they made the PAT, considering we're averaging 18.5 points/game, that's around 2.5 losses or 2 losses plus a tie lol.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think if the Cards had Fitz & Boldin in their prime they might be 1-3.

I’m sorry but I don’t see a revolutionary offense. Every once in awhile there’s an interesting wrinkle on a familiar pattern, but nothing that’s significantly confusing defenses. Where’s the beef? Sure the O-Line stinks, but where at the routes that will free receivers. So far the only thing that works is putting enough receivers in the game that the defense can’t put a capable defender on DJ. Previous coaches halve done that. He had 80 catches in 2016.

The only open guys I see are on short timing routes.

We also were told Murray’s quickness, system familiarity and smarts would help him avoid most of the line caused impediments. That position indicated a total lack of NFL defender capabilities.

Better play calling may help, but better play design will be needed.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think if the Cards had Fitz & Boldin in their prime they might be 1-3.

I’m sorry but I don’t see a revolutionary offense. Every once in awhile there’s an interesting wrinkle on a familiar pattern, but nothing that’s significantly confusing defenses. Where’s the beef? Sure the O-Line stinks, but where at the routes that will free receivers. So far the only thing that works is putting enough receivers in the game that the defense can’t put a capable defender on DJ. Previous coaches halve done that. He had 80 catches in 2016.

The only open guys I see are on short timing routes.

We also were told Murray’s quickness, system familiarity and smarts would help him avoid most of the line caused impediments. That position indicated a total lack of NFL defender capabilities.

Better play calling may help, but better play design will be needed.
Watched the Rams/Seahawks game and McVay seemed to always have a play saved up when he needed Goff to throw to open wr. It seemed like it worked every time.

Revolutionary or not. I think the issue is Kliff has just never called plays in the NFL. He's learning on the job (doesn't help he didn't take preseason seriously)

The Eagles under Chip had an advantage that they had a great Oline, some explosive Wrs/RB. That fast tempo worked for them and Shady was slippery enough to get by on those shotgun handoffs.

Kliff's learning how how to be a NFL head coach/play caller and his team really doesn't fit his scheme.

I think there IS a way for us win games. HOwever, it would be to follow the blueprint of the 2012 Redskins.

Which is risky in itself because of what happened to RG3.

However, we can convert into a power running team out of the pistol and then we'll start having targets downfield off of play action.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This is an all time classic response from Kliff. Kliff is smart.

This is a beautiful way of saying Isabella cannot play WR right now.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave