Recruiting

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I will give Herm credit for one thing - so far, his recruiting seems to be on point. As for sticking with Manny, I'm not as enthusiastic about that.

Manny got benefit of doubt in spring ball. Barnett and White, in the eyes of the coaches, couldn't winthe job. Both guys are having success at non Power 5 schools. Big deal. Neither guy will play on Sundays...same as Manny. This year is a transition year.

I am not giving Herm a free pass on the QB situation this season but I am also not vilifying him for it either.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ASU gets a 3-star DE commit, Alonzo Hall. There were 70 kids either on both official and unofficial visits from various classes at the UCLA game including Noa Pola Gates, the #3 recruit in the state who is a huge ALA lean.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Asu has 9 QBs heading into next season?!?
I think it's 7. DSC & Kelley and two others on current roster and 3 incoming. I think they lose the Yellen kid after Daniels commitment and I hope Kelley doesn't transfer as he is the better of the two between him and Sterling-Cole, maybe Sterling-Cole can play WR.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news but until national signing day there has nothing binding about it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
High Praise!

Herm Edwards-led ASU football a ‘sleeping giant,’ says ESPN’s Riddick

Number one, it has a head coach in Herm Edwards who has captivated and fascinated. Secondly, the program has a freshman quarterback in Jayden Daniels, who has held his own through five games. Third, it has a wealth of staff members with significant NFL experience. And it doesn’t hurt that ASU plays in sunny Tempe, Ariz.
“By the time those new freshman classes come in over the next two years, the guys they have right now that are spectacular like a Jayden Daniels — those guys get older and mature and get physically stronger — you support them with some more 3-, 4-, 5-star players, the Pac-12 better look out, man. ‘Cause they’ve got a whale of a coaching staff.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/210...football-a-sleeping-giant-says-espns-riddick/

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
High Praise!

Herm Edwards-led ASU football a ‘sleeping giant,’ says ESPN’s Riddick

Number one, it has a head coach in Herm Edwards who has captivated and fascinated. Secondly, the program has a freshman quarterback in Jayden Daniels, who has held his own through five games. Third, it has a wealth of staff members with significant NFL experience. And it doesn’t hurt that ASU plays in sunny Tempe, Ariz.
“By the time those new freshman classes come in over the next two years, the guys they have right now that are spectacular like a Jayden Daniels — those guys get older and mature and get physically stronger — you support them with some more 3-, 4-, 5-star players, the Pac-12 better look out, man. ‘Cause they’ve got a whale of a coaching staff.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/210...football-a-sleeping-giant-says-espns-riddick/
They’ve been a “sleeping giant” for as far back as when we move to az (1975).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is HUGE!

ASU football lands commitment from 4-star linebacker Jordan Banks

Banks was being recruited by Alabama, Oklahoma, Washington and Auburn. His Twitter account indicates he also drew interest from Tennessee, Colorado, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU and others.

https://arizonasports.com/story/210...ZeWvTcSm8RXM3HoGtS66hnQV-xpocJih6r20bCktwXUhk

It helps that these kids see ASU starting and playing all these true freshmen and having success doing so. Encourages some of these kids to consider ASU in a different light. Then they see the NFL pedigree of the coaching staff and that checks another box.

When you look at the list of schools after this kid, ASU would have always been an afterthought if they were even considered in the first place.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Sun Devils are building something great and enduring in Tempe.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
With ASU football I’ll always be a “show me” guy. They’ve pulled a Lucy on me too many times in this regard.

Yup... there has been a season during every one of the last four coaching tenures (Snyder, Koetter, Erickson, Graham) where I thought they were finally "waking up"... only to come to the realization they were eventually going to recede to the same mediocrity that has plagued the program since John Cooper left.