Why is Andy Isabella not being used?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He is small, runs mediocre routes, and struggles to consistently catch the ball. These are all mostly correctable, but he is far from a "rock solid" prospect.

He dominated college, broke out at an early age, was top quarter percentile in yards per catch and sparq. Historically players with these traits do well in the NFL. Drafting is about playing the odds and these are traits th at give a player a higher success rate in the NFL. Give him some time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing has changed in real life, only in fan expectations.

Isabella is a rock solid prospect. He will be a good NFL player.

totally disagree nothing has changed in "real life". The days where it used routinely take 2 years for WR to develop are from a bygone era where WRs could routinely be held, get absolutely destroyed going over the middle and didn't protect QBs nearly as much as the rules do now. All the NFL rule changes that have been instituted in the last decade or so have almost all been to the benefit of passing offenses which has dramatically changed the game itself. In the process we've seen rookie WRs up and down the drafts not only make decent impacts, but some MAJOR impacts in their first seasons.

dude was a 2nd round pick. to not even be able to see the field in the first three games as part of a really mediocre WR unit doesn't say much about him at this point. Good teams should expect 2nd rounders to at least be able to play on weak units, if not make an impact as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The problem in my mind is that the coaches are saying all of the standard things you hear when they are disappointed in the progress of a rookie.

He may not get a meaningful snap all year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He dominated college, broke out at an early age, was top quarter percentile in yards per catch and sparq. Historically players with these traits do well in the NFL. Drafting is about playing the odds and these are traits th at give a player a higher success rate in the NFL. Give him some time.
I'm not saying he can't develop. I'm saying that he had plenty of holes as a draft prospect.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He started the season injured and we're pretty stacked at WR. You want to make Fitz sit? Or Kirk? Byrd, Sherfield, and Isabella will split time at WR3 for this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He started the season injured and we're pretty stacked at WR.

stacked?! quantity doesn't equal quantity. Right now, we run a consistent 4 WR set with only two legitimate NFL WRs on the roster.

You want to make Fitz sit? Or Kirk? /QUOTE]

no one has said or intimated anything near this stupid.

Byrd, Sherfield, and Isabella will split time at WR3 for this year.

when this ACTUALLY comes to pass, you'll have a point. but right now, our second round WR can't beat out two guys who would have trouble making other rosters in the league.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm all for giving a guy time to develop but not a second round pick either sitting inactive or not getting targeted at all is nowhere near "give him some time."

Especially when you consider that we gave up a #13, a 3rd, and a 5th to get him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think Andy needs to contribute in some fashion this year

its a reasonable expectation for a 2nd round pick

i think its too early to call him a bad pick or a bust, but it can also be a disappointment he isnt further along

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think Andy needs to contribute in some fashion this year

its a reasonable expectation for a 2nd round pick

i think its too early to call him a bad pick or a bust, but it can also be a disappointment he isnt further along

KK sounds every bit as excited about Isabella today, as he did the day we drafted him. As fans, we want EVERY pick to pan out asap. Give it time, there are plans for him to contribute. I've grown to question small school picks, but time will tell.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
KK sounds every bit as excited about Isabella today, as he did the day we drafted him. As fans, we want EVERY pick to pan out asap. Give it time, there are plans for him to contribute. I've grown to question small school picks, but time will tell.
Exactly. Small school guy who also missed time in TC. It's not unreasonable to consider that he is simply just a little behind at the moment, but let's see what happens at least the remainder of this season.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another point about Andy. He was a running back in high school. He been a WR for only four years. He worked his butt off to become a good receiver, and he will work his butt off to be a good NFL player.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kirk and Bryd are out against Bengals.

If Isabella doesn't get a catch and loses the job to Cooper who was chilling on his couch until Monday, chalk up Isabella as a BUST.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kirk and Bryd are out against Bengals.

If Isabella doesn't get a catch and loses the job to Cooper who was chilling on his couch until Monday, chalk up Isabella as a BUST.
Jerry Rice stunk when he was a rookie

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He started the season injured and we're pretty stacked at WR. You want to make Fitz sit? Or Kirk? Byrd, Sherfield, and Isabella will split time at WR3 for this year.
Stacked?

Byrd
Sherfield

Stacked.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Jerry had almost 1000 yards his rookie year and that was while only starting 4 games. I do agree that people are being way too impatient with AI though. He's a young receiver that is making a very big jump in competition and was injured in TC. It's fair to expect him to be behind because of that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another point about Andy. He was a running back in high school. He been a WR for only four years. He worked his butt off to become a good receiver, and he will work his butt off to be a good NFL player.
Andy sort of reminds me of Curtis Samuel for the Panthers.

Another 4.3 guy that really had trouble using his speed downfield because he wasn't a natural route runner. Its taken until his 3rd year to start figuring it out.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
A small school player is having issues transitioning to the NFL?

Shocker

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Rice stunk when he was a rookie

49 catches 927 yards 3 tds. Not great, and too many drops, but he didn't even remotely stink.

Next year 86 catches 15 TD's so he stunk compared to that.

I vividly remember Rice's rookie year you just kept hearing how good he was in practice and that the guys were not concerned they knew he'd get over the jitters and drops and be really good.