Fixing the O-line

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve noticed lots posts saying a good draft and free agency could fix everything next year. It’s not impossible. I actually saw the NYG do it, but that’s the only time I can recall. Generally even if you can assemble 5 functional players it takes 6-8 games of playing together for them to get functional. The Cards might accelerate the process by making the trade with Washington. That deadline is 10/29. Then they’d at least get one side of the line functional as Sweezy looks decent. Of course Williams could end up at LT but at least the Cards would be 2/5 there. Cole is not yet an option as he still lacks the power to be a top flight center. I’m not ruling out Gaillord developing, but I’m not counting on it either. All I’m saying is I think it will be 2021 before this team can compete for the playoffs based on the O-line alone. .

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harry, I know the common idea is to find a good LT and move DJ to the right. I wonder, can DJ be a stud OG if they moved him inside?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
seems like the Rams a couple years ago went from terrible to pretty good in one offseason: added Whitworth at LT and settled the entire unit

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
For the 2017 season the Rams actually added 2 starters to their offensive line. They added Whitworth at left tackle and John Sullivan at center and their offensive line went from suspect to outstanding. The Cardinals could easily do the same. A new right tackle is absolutely needed, and maybe another guard. I think one or two new O-linemen would boost this unit greatly.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think we have 4 good linemen. We need to replace the garbage right tackle. I don’t think we’re that far away. If we can get a legit RT in free agency, we’d only have to add a depth tackle.
Agreed.

We need an OT. I am kind of sold on taking Wirfs in round 1, but there are some FA options.
We need to re-sign Humphries.

The rest, IMO, depends on health and then being able to draft and develop replacements for Pugh, Shipley, and Sweezy inside. Galliard and/or Cole should be able to replace Shipley next year. You could probably argue that the gap between Pugh and Cole may not be huge.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be for trading anything but a first rounder for Trent Williams maybe a third this year and second next year. I’d keep this year’s first to take Andrew Thomas and have Williams at LT and Thomas at RT until he eventually replaces Williams at LT. Not a fan of Pugh and Shipley so upgrades at G & C would be on my FA shopping list.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry, I know the common idea is to find a good LT and move DJ to the right. I wonder, can DJ be a stud OG if they moved him inside?
I don’t see DJ going to the right side. Not gonna happen. Whether he is here or somewhere else, he’ll be on the left. Also, I think he stays.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
7 time pro-bowler
2nd team All Pro in 2015.

Like Whitworth for the Rams (who moved to LA at age 36), he can make that kind of impact. And play for at least 5 more seasons!!! He's worth a #2 now.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed.

We need an OT. I am kind of sold on taking Wirfs in round 1, but there are some FA options.

The rest, IMO, depends on health and then being able to draft and develop replacements for Pugh, Shipley, and Sweezy inside. Galliard and/or Cole should be able to replace Shipley next year. You could probably argue that the gap between Pugh and Cole may not be huge.

Would you trade for Trent Williams or address the OL via draft and free agency?

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Would you trade for Trent Williams or address the OL via draft and free agency?

Trent Williams is 31, oft injured, and I don’t want to give up a draft pick for an older player(and sign him to a large contract). DJ Humphries has been pretty good at pass protection, just not a great run blocker. We need a new right tackle and a better center than AQ Shipley. That alone would put us at least in the middle of the pack. I don’t think the O line has been all that bad... a lot of the sacks have Been kylers fault.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Trent Williams is 31, oft injured, and I don’t want to give up a draft pick for an older player(and sign him to a large contract). DJ Humphries has been pretty good at pass protection, just not a great run blocker. We need a new right tackle and a better center than AQ Shipley. That alone would put us at least in the middle of the pack. I don’t think the O line has been all that bad... a lot of the sacks have Been kylers fault.
Kyler doesn't get rid of the ball because he wants to make plays. It isn't working so well so far. He doesn't have the time (poor protection) so he'll need to adjust and stop taking the loses. He needs to turn upfield or throw the play away, particularly on 1st and 2nd downs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler doesn't get rid of the ball because he wants to make plays. It isn't working so well so far. He doesn't have the time (poor protection) so he'll need to adjust and stop taking the loses. He needs to turn upfield or throw the play away, particularly on 1st and 2nd downs.
I totally agree. A lot of those sacks he took, he should have just thrown the ball away. He hasn't been blindsided yet so he has seen everything coming, he has to get rid of the ball so he is not facing 2nd or 3rd and 15 or 20.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Oh bologna- you can’t be one dimensional against NFL defenses and blame it on the oline - your asking the impossible not the improbable - every body wants to see the unicorn, the fantasy, mythology, the miracle of something that’s never been done. Well the Phoenix burns up and renews every 500 years and that may how long it takes to win a Super Bowl - we need a name change to the Phoenix Unicorns, and an oline that has monkeys flying out their az.

I think KM and the oline can play well, get better and win, if Dennis Green was drafting and the entire Phoenix Unicorn organizations rebooted to the fundamentals of professional football, prepared in the preseason and pulled the cotton out their ears and shoved it in their mouth.

The oline is not the problem - we have ex unicorns performing well all over the NFL.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO Cards have lots of holes to fill. They should have plenty of cap room in the off season. My hope would be for them to be competitive next year (2020) and a playoff team the next (2021). Not sure if they can move that any faster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed.

Play Wirfs at RT?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Wirfs

not a good showing today against Michigan

the thing about Iowa tackles -- they usually turn out to be pretty good NFL offensive linemen..... after they move inside to guard

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Jeudy or the Oh St. pass rusher in Rd 1. You have to get the super skilled beasts early.

The OL in 2 & 3.

But again..... I don't trust Keim to pick the right O or D Lineman in any round.