Our “air raid” offense

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We need speed badly on offense. Speed and an O-line.

Baby steps baby steps
You know D.Byrd is one of the fastest players in the league right?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know D.Byrd is one of the fastest players in the league right?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Smh.

Ok I’ll make it a little more simple. Speed and talent. How bout that

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The idea of throwing a high pick at Jeudy or Shenault shouldn't be crazy. Just as Fitz rides off into the sunset, the Cardinals pick up another long term stud.

Shenault is a beast at Colorado but gets dinged up alot. That makes me nervous but man can that kid play

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The reason I suggested switching David Johnson to WR is that throughout the NFL passing is now considered more important than running the ball. So why not move our most important (non QB) player to a position (WR) that seems more important to the team's success?

I have made the same suggestion :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Shenault is a beast at Colorado but gets dinged up alot. That makes me nervous but man can that kid play

Jeudy is supposedly the best WR prospect in a long time according to scouts.

Elite route runner, elite hands, very quick, good speed, elite body control.

Not a huge guy, but big enough at 6'1.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm not understanding all this. They drafted Isabella, Butler, and Johnson to bolster the WR corps and Fitz and Kirk were already in place and DJ was going to be an asset coming out of the backfield and lining up wide to catch passes and Byrd and Sherfield were in place to help out yet now we are discussing that Murray needs more and better weapons? I don't get it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need speed badly on offense. Speed and an O-line.

Baby steps baby steps
Once we fix things physically, we need to deliver on the intangibles that make the difference between losing and winning.

Like fewer penalties. Winning the turnover battle. Lane discipline. Winning the 3rd down conversion mini-contests (both on defense and offense).

Realizing that some down, distance and situation battles are more valuable than others.

In other words "learning how to win." It's part of the process of being a winner and seldom happens overnight.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jeudy is supposedly the best WR prospect in a long time according to scouts.

Elite route runner, elite hands, very quick, good speed, elite body control.

Not a huge guy, but big enough at 6'1.
He has a similar game to Stefon Diggs who I wish the Cardinals would make a move for.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not understanding all this. They drafted Isabella, Butler, and Johnson to bolster the WR corps and Fitz and Kirk were already in place and DJ was going to be an asset coming out of the backfield and lining up wide to catch passes and Byrd and Sherfield were in place to help out yet now we are discussing that Murray needs more and better weapons? I don't get it.
Isabella and Butler giving us zero production is a big hit. The guy I wanted was Terry McLaurin and if we had his production out of Isabella, the complaints would not be as loud. We threw a bunch of resources at the wall, and so far, the only player who has justified his selection is Johnson (and he is playing like a 6th rounder).

The upside is that Isabella is a worker so you would think between Sullivan and Raih, he will get the information he needs to develop into a contributor. That being said, I don't know of many #1 WRs in the NFL who are 5'9. Sometimes drafting statistical outliers leads to acquiring players with limited upside.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Isabella and Butler giving us zero production is a big hit. The guy I wanted was Terry McLaurin and if we had his production out of Isabella, the complaints would not be as loud. We threw a bunch of resources at the wall, and so far, the only player who has justified his selection is Johnson (and he is playing like a 6th rounder).

The upside is that Isabella is a worker so you would think between Sullivan and Raih, he will get the information he needs to develop into a contributor. That being said, I don't know of many #1 WRs in the NFL who are 5'9. Sometimes drafting statistical outliers leads to acquiring players with limited upside.

IMO his upside is good two, good three.

He looked real fast on that jet sweep last week that called back for a ticky tack hold that didn't really have much of an impact on the play.

We all got a little too excited about a fourth and sixth round rookies. I think Johnson has shown us a little bit of ability, but NFL receivers have to show what he has shown in spurts on every down.

I actually don't fault Keim for throwing three draft picks at a problem. It's actually a good approach to fixing a roster hole. The problem is that it doesn't always show dividends immediately.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He has a similar game to Stefon Diggs who I wish the Cardinals would make a move for.

He is so much better than Diggs was at this point though, and I think his upside is quite a bit higher.

Alabama is loaded at WR and this coming draft is loaded overall at WR.

I really like the OL class with Thomas, Wirfs, and even Adams from UW. Realistically, if the Cardinals have a top five pick, they could walk away with a true #1 receiver AND a really talented OL prospect near the top of the second round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could David Johnson become a WR next year?

I think he might be a WR this weekend. at least part time. I fully expect to see more of him and Chase together with him moving out to Wr.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO his upside is good two, good three.

He looked real fast on that jet sweep last week that called back for a ticky tack hold that didn't really have much of an impact on the play.

We all got a little too excited about a fourth and sixth round rookies. I think Johnson has shown us a little bit of ability, but NFL receivers have to show what he has shown in spurts on every down.

I actually don't fault Keim for throwing three draft picks at a problem. It's actually a good approach to fixing a roster hole. The problem is that it doesn't always show dividends immediately.

Way too early but he seems to me more of a straight ahead guy where Wr's need wiggle? You can't just line up and run by NFL defenses very often they figure that out. Byrd for example is close to as fast if not as fast has 24 catches in his NFL career 9.4 YPC 8 YPC this year. Basically Kliff is using him where defenses back up to give him room and we just throw underneath to him.

Isabella in camp apparently struggled to get free at the LOS, same thing they said at Senior bowl or whichever one he was in, he had difficulty with press coverage he just isn't used to that level of competition.

I expect he can improve but I am concerned, guys he gets compared to like Edelman are VERY elusive, we haven't see that at all with Issy yet.

I rewatched the sweep last week I'm convinced the reason for the hold is he waited too long to turn it up and go forward and Maxx Williams got antsy and held. I agree it didn't really impact the play much but I think Maxx got anxious and was trying to maintain the block and wound up holding.

Andy is supposed to be the primary backup this week hopefully we'll get to see more of him

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Way too early but he seems to me more of a straight ahead guy where Wr's need wiggle? You can't just line up and run by NFL defenses very often they figure that out. Byrd for example is close to as fast if not as fast has 24 catches in his NFL career 9.4 YPC 8 YPC this year. Basically Kliff is using him where defenses back up to give him room and we just throw underneath to him.

Isabella in camp apparently struggled to get free at the LOS, same thing they said at Senior bowl or whichever one he was in, he had difficulty with press coverage he just isn't used to that level of competition.

I expect he can improve but I am concerned, guys he gets compared to like Edelman are VERY elusive, we haven't see that at all with Issy yet.

I rewatched the sweep last week I'm convinced the reason for the hold is he waited too long to turn it up and go forward and Maxx Williams got antsy and held. I agree it didn't really impact the play much but I think Maxx got anxious and was trying to maintain the block and wound up holding.

Andy is supposed to be the primary backup this week hopefully we'll get to see more of him

Some of his highlights from UMass showed some wiggle.

What is one of the number one things that young receivers in general struggle with? Getting off the press. There is a reason so many WRs have historically struggled to play early, most aren't ready for the route running requirements and don't have the ability to beat the press.

The thing is: This team desperately needs SOMEONE to be able to take the top off the defense. There are ways to get him a clean release; send him in motion and snap the ball right as he is set. It won't work every time but it would work enough.

One thing I absolutely hate in sports in general, is when a losing team doesn't get young players playing time. The team isn't winning right now, so it's not like they are doing things right. Might as well throw the young, fast kid out there and see what he can do for a long stretch. Who knows....maybe Isabella goes out there and catches 6 for 147 and 2 TDs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is one of the number one things that young receivers in general struggle with? Getting off the press. There is a reason so many WRs have historically struggled to play early, most aren't ready for the route running requirements and don't have the ability to beat the press.

The thing is: This team desperately needs SOMEONE to be able to take the top off the defense. There are ways to get him a clean release; send him in motion and snap the ball right as he is set. It won't work every time but it would work enough.

One thing I absolutely hate in sports in general, is when a losing team doesn't get young players playing time. The team isn't winning right now, so it's not like they are doing things right. Might as well throw the young, fast kid out there and see what he can do for a long stretch. Who knows....maybe Isabella goes out there and catches 6 for 147 and 2 TDs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed I want him to play. I guess the other side of the coin is throwing a kid out there before he's ready can be a problem too. I remember Calvin pace as a rookie week after week he had literally one move and couldn't get near the QB. You could see the frustration in his face first 4 years 7.5 sacks total, 5th year 6.5 sacks and became a solid pass rusher for the Jets after he left. I'm not saying he would have been that good earlier but I think that rookie year really took a toll on him just not being ready but getting dominated week after week because he had to start.

But yeah I want to see more Isabella.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kliff sees Isabella for hundreds of reps every week in practice. He has a pretty good idea if he can play, and apparently he can’t right now.

this is like people wondering why TJ Logan couldn’t get reps. It turned out because he couldn’t play.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff sees Isabella for hundreds of reps every week in practice. He has a pretty good idea if he can play, and apparently he can’t right now.

this is like people wondering why TJ Logan couldn’t get reps. It turned out because he couldn’t play.

Great, Keim trying to be cute with the pick. Not a great sign of a quality GM if your 2nd round pick can't get on the field.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'm not debating that Kingsbury doesn't have a good handle on what Andy can do, but some players are much better in game settings. Get him out there for more than just a smattering of plays.

Great, Keim trying to be cute with the pick. Not a great sign of a quality GM if your 2nd round pick can't get on the field.

Kingsbury VISIBLY was excited about the pick. Everyone was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose