Cards Cut Swearinger

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I still don't get why everyone keeps saying - "Lets trade such and such for picks". Who's to guaranty that those picks turn into someone good? For example, members here are saying we should trade PP for a 1st and 3rd? We know what we have in PP, a great to elite CB. Who's to say we get another great to elite player for the 1st and 3rd? Stick with what we have and know is good instead of a crap shot draft pick.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I cant' see why not at this point. They have to maximize the talent around Murray as quickly as possible. Adding a hole at LT when you have money to pay that spot 12 mil per year, and you could use draft picks for other spots to support Murray or improve the defense. I could see them re-signing Humphries and still drafting a LT in round 1. I could see them re-signing Humphries to be able to trade back in round 1. I could see them re-signing Humphries and taking a top pass rusher or WR. A bunch of options are available if you keep Humphries on the roster and with a rookie QB deal, the money won't kill you.

I question paying him big money when the guy can`t stay on the field for a whole season.Risky IMHO.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I still don't get why everyone keeps saying - "Lets trade such and such for picks". Who's to guaranty that those picks turn into someone good? For example, members here are saying we should trade PP for a 1st and 3rd? We know what we have in PP, a great to elite CB. Who's to say we get another great to elite player for the 1st and 3rd? Stick with what we have and know is good instead of a crap shot draft pick.
Branch Rickey said " its better to trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late"PP has already said he wants out.Sure he backtracked a bit but how happy and productive will he be going thru another 3-13 season.Sure the draft is a crapshoot but PP could step on the field and blow out a knee or accidently try to tackle somebody and get injured.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he has showed warning signs of leaving due to being fed up with bad play.

It’s like everyone that think the idea is dumb because they believe Peterson is going to stay when there have been signs that he most likely won’t.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have no interest in trading Patrick Peterson, but if we do, it's practically admitting we don't think there's any chance of us being a contending team in Kyler's rookie deal, which sucks.

This team is definitely in need of young talent, since we have next to none, but I'm going to struggle to get excited about draft picks until we have a new GM.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swearinger wasn't playing well because he was worrying about what the rest of the secondary and the linebackers were or were not doing. Making him a scapegoat for all the other guys who are not playing well is silly. They shouldn't have cut him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NittanyCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Swearinger wasn't playing well because he was worrying about what the rest of the secondary and the linebackers were or were not doing. Making him a scapegoat for all the other guys who are not playing well is silly. They shouldn't have cut him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Ok DJ thanks for your input go be trash somewhere else

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What I like most about the move is that it is going to show what the Thompsons can do over the remainder of the season. If one balls out, we are set. If neither do, we know we need to address it in the offseason.

The one caveat I have is that I thought that Rashad Johnson was garbage his rookie season, and he turned out to be pretty good for a couple contracts with the Cards. Safety is a hard position to play in the NFL, and you only learn by screwing up. Unfortunately, when a safety screws up, the results are often disastrous.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no interest in trading Patrick Peterson, but if we do, it's practically admitting we don't think there's any chance of us being a contending team in Kyler's rookie deal, which sucks.

This team is definitely in need of young talent, since we have next to none, but I'm going to struggle to get excited about draft picks until we have a new GM.
No, it’s not....

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

I think it will be a 2-3 year project to rebuild into a solid team.People expecting a quick turnaround are fooling themselves IMO.Winning more than 3 games this year will be a surprise.Next season(2020) maybe 6 games maybe.8-8 maybe 9-7 in 2021.Its going to take a little while.I don`t see this franchise being wild risk takers so soon after KK and KM.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
His injuries are mostly freak type things though

I don't know if consecutive knee injuries really count as "freak things" for an offensive lineman. Pec injuries and knee injuries are generally more than random.

according to over the cap if we cut him now there's zero dead money and we save about 4.5 million in cap room.

https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-swearinger/2266/

I think those are more reliable in the offseason. For veterans, contracts are 100% guaranteed if they're on the roster for Week 1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if consecutive knee injuries really count as "freak things" for an offensive lineman. Pec injuries and knee injuries are generally more than random.

I think those are more reliable in the offseason. For veterans, contracts are 100% guaranteed if they're on the roster for Week 1.

Ok. The dropdown says if done before June 1 so I think you're right. I missed that when I posted it.

Nice call on him being cut.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson being a Bama product at least knew how to recognize and direct a coverage scheme, so maybe Deonte Thompson will provide that same value while being more athletic