We Lost

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not going to make the argument that Kliff will succeed in the NFL, but there is one thing we need to keep in mind with him and that is that he is a rookie NFL coach.

Most new head coaches are simply new to being the head coach, but Kliff is trying to learn the ropes of the NFL while also implementing a system that is new to most of the players.

I think with that in mind it may take Kliff a little longer to settle in than your typical new head coach, but ultimately still needs to show some progress before the end of this season.
I'd give that to you if he had shown the ability to win at any level.

Surprise surprise, this looks like a guy producing the same resume with which we hired him.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's not chest pounding. I'm normally awfully depressed after a Cardinals loss. I steeled myself for this season looking forward.

It's better than sitting here having thought we had a chance to at least hang around in the standings and getting disappointed. I'm not sure what you want from me here... stop posting because I was "right?"

Hell, maybe I want to be right so we can move on from this disaster before I'm 40.

Unless you are currently 36 or younger, don't expect it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'd give that to you if he had shown the ability to win at any level.

Surprise surprise, this looks like a guy producing the same resume with which we hired him.
He was brought in to turn around the offense and his offenses were very good in college. However his offense has never been used in the NFL and thus he is still trying to figure out just what plays will work and what won't at this level. It's not going to happen overnight, but being that this is the NFL it has to show some progress by the end of the season.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Unless you are currently 36 or younger, don't expect it.
Whew snuck in on the under by a couple years. Everyone was saying hey if we lose it will be fun to watch or at least entertaining. I’m not entertained one bit. This offense isn’t close to being explosive and the D doesn’t even deserve to be watched. Why the hell would I put myself through watching that for 3 hours every Sunday. It’s just so frustrating to watch how many mental errors are happening. I’m just gonna keep it on redzone watch whenever they pop into the game. I have not seen one thing that makes me think this team is heading in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He was brought in to turn around the offense and his offenses were very good in college. However his offense has never been used in the NFL and thus he is still trying to figure out just what plays will work and what won't at this level. It's not going to happen overnight, but being that this is the NFL it has to show some progress by the end of the season.
Head coaches are brought in to turn around the team, not just one side of the ball. That includes coaching the entire team, even if it's not directly calling defensive plays.

There are tons of very strong head coaches at coaching one side of the ball and not the other - and most of them end up fired. Sure, Kliff needs time... but how much before we have to say "he couldn't win in college and doesn't look like he can win here?"

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a bad defense and a rookie QB is not a good combo in the NFL

not that the offense is blameless --

but a terrible defense means the offense has to be really, really efficient for this team to win -- and with a rookie QB thats a big ask

last three weeks -- every time the Cardinal offense scored, the D allowed the other team to take the ball and answer with a score.

Hard to win that way

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Head coaches are brought in to turn around the team, not just one side of the ball. That includes coaching the entire team, even if it's not directly calling defensive plays.

There are tons of very strong head coaches at coaching one side of the ball and not the other - and most of them end up fired. Sure, Kliff needs time... but how much before we have to say "he couldn't win in college and doesn't look like he can win here?"
I can not speak to the effectiveness of his coaching on a team in general, but I am simply stating that the #1 reason that they targeted him over other options was for his offensive mind. As to his record in college, that could be him not being a good head coach or it could be that he was in a talented conference and couldn't recruit as good of talent as other teams. I suppose we will find out the likely answer when we see how it plays out here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel KM will develop just fine but that this offensive system is bunk.
The system seems fine to me. They have stretches of looking almost unstoppable moving the ball down the field, but the players are making a lot of mistakes and Kliff needs to do better with the play-calling. Time will tell if the latter of the two can be fixed or not.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The system seems fine to me. They have stretches of looking almost unstoppable moving the ball down the field, but the players are making a lot of mistakes and Kliff needs to do better with the play-calling. Time will tell if the latter of the two can be fixed or not.

Meh, dink and dunk, dink and dunk. Not my cup of tea, and usually takes near perfect skill and offensive cohesion to work well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Meh, dink and dunk, dink and dunk. Not my cup of tea, and usually takes near perfect skill and offensive cohesion to work well.
Yes the last couple games have been too much dink and dunk, but we have seen that it also has some ability to create openings down the field as well. The issue is that Kyler isn't getting adequate protection often enough to consistently make plays down the field. The receivers are also struggling at times to find separation as well, but part of that is likely Kyler not feeling completely comfortable with throwing into tight windows on a consistent basis and in the NFL a QB has to make some throws into tight windows to be successful.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our offense is doing some things well but has a ways to go. Not surprising, Our D is a disaster. Swearinger can't cover anyone and is now getting run over trying to support run game. Sit him now.

Our defense clearly sucks or our offense would have scored at least 28 instead of 10.

/s

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yes the last couple games have been too much dink and dunk, but we have seen that it also has some ability to create openings down the field as well. The issue is that Kyler isn't getting adequate protection often enough to consistently make plays down the field. The receivers are also struggling at times to find separation as well, but part of that is likely Kyler not feeling completely comfortable with throwing into tight windows on a consistent basis and in the NFL a QB has to make some throws into tight windows to be successful.

I wish we had the "all 22" or whatever that is to how much separation our WRs are getting down field.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve always felt with a new head coach,rookie QB, and just a void of decent NFL talent across the board this year is a redshirt year. I am more optimistic about the offense, but the defense is another thing. Peterson will help, but the back end especially the safeties and LBs are so slow. This is a 2-3 year rebuild. Keim will get next year cuz MB made the wrong call with the Wilks hire and will not fire a coach again after one year. Right now i just want to see progress with this Team turning a corner last 5 games of the year.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’ve always felt with a new head coach,rookie QB, and just a void of decent NFL talent across the board this year is a redshirt year. I am more optimistic about the offense, but the defense is another thing. Peterson will help, but the back end especially the safeties and LBs are so slow. This is a 2-3 year rebuild. Keim will get next year cuz MB made the wrong call with the Wilks hire and will not fire a coach again after one year. Right now i just want to see progress with this Team turning a corner last 5 games of the year.

So Keim had nothing to do with the Wilks hire? Who hired McCoy?m

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
And we are missing our #1 and #2 Cbs

We probably cant really and truly evaluate the defense until PP and Alford have been back and have played a game or two.

But we're 30th against the run or something like that. I'm not sure how much having our top two CBs back will help the run defense.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We probably cant really and truly evaluate the defense until PP and Alford have been back and have played a game or two.

But we're 30th against the run or something like that. I'm not sure how much having our top two CBs back will help the run defense.
Really ?

Oh I don't know ... maybe free up to other players in run support .. just a wild guess

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to make the argument that Kliff will succeed in the NFL, but there is one thing we need to keep in mind with him and that is that he is a rookie NFL coach.

Most new head coaches are simply new to being the head coach, but Kliff is trying to learn the ropes of the NFL while also implementing a system that is new to most of the players.

I think with that in mind it may take Kliff a little longer to settle in than your typical new head coach, but ultimately still needs to show some progress before the end of this season.

A voice of reason. I see signs that KK is evolving. Notice we used out TE’s a bit more today? And for the most part it worked. But like struggling teams do, we’ll do three good things and then one bad thing that stymies a drive whether it’s a penalty, a bad sack or a dropped ball.

I’m a little disappointed we didn’t take a few shots downfield today.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just a bit harsh considering we lost our two starting cb’s, a prominent d-lineman before the season started and a first round pick that was supposed to help anchor or D-line.

There is only so much lipstick you can put on a pig.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MB wanted Wilks to be the anti BA. Now McCoy that is on Keim and Wilks. Keim has 2020 to show drastic turn around or he will be gone.
Why is a owner hiring a head coach against the wish of his GM?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave