2019 O-line discussion

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Max Starks had some good insight into what he thinks is wrong with DJ.

He said that DJ is likely playing tentatively because every snap hes looking at the blocking scheme and wondering how the line in front of him is going to win and what he is going to have to do to make the play successful.

The lack of 11 personnel is killing the offense from a run game perspective.

Yeah, he is too worried about the blocking. He should be looking for creases, or trying to bounce it outside. Not just standing there waiting. But even when he starts running he is much slower than he used to be which I don't really understand.

Gambo was talking about how maybe they should just make him a full time receiver, and actually I think that is what he is best suited to be at this point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a tight end would make the difference for David Johnson? That doesn't make much sense to me.

When the offense goes 4WR, we should still have a numbers advantage on one side of the center or the other. You can pull a guard and then have 4 OL on one side of the center.

Even when you're balanced, the read option is supposed to freeze the outside defender and ensure that you have a numbers advantage on that side.

I just don't think we're doing a good enough job of getting DJ into open space in the run game. We're not running up the back of the center anymore (Thank goodness), but the memories I have of DJ at his best was a lot of off-tackle stuff where he planted his foot and accelerated.

Here's his rush chart from last week. These zone-read runs force him to the inside most of the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wonder if we're not running those plays anymore because he simply can't accelerate like he used to. On that awful non-TD that got put down at the 1-inch line right before the half against Detroit, DJ from a couple years ago gets to that corner before the defender is able to knock him out of bounds. Just fear that extra burst doesn't exist anymore to use him the way he was so successful in 2015/2016.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we're not running those plays anymore because he simply can't accelerate like he used to. On that awful non-TD that got put down at the 1-inch line right before the half against Detroit, DJ from a couple years ago gets to that corner before the defender is able to knock him out of bounds. Just fear that extra burst doesn't exist anymore to use him the way he was so successful in 2015/2016.

I said that exact same thing watching the play. Old DJ scores on that one.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the reason it helps to go 11 personnel is it gives the opportunity help create a gap outside or inside the OLB / edge.

I think our 10 personnel is too easy defend for a every down group for this team. Unfortunately I don't have a top view of the field to see the whole play develop and the coverage but it looks like D's are using a zone and zone man hybrid a lot of the times ensuring that without time in the pocket there is not time to get open for anything more than a short gain.

I just think a TE with our 3 best receivers gives us a lot more flexibility to run and buy more time for the routes to develop on passing plays.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please do not make DJ a high paid LT. I'd just assume trade him and a pick to Washington for Trent Williams. If you're gonna pay someone you pay Trent and his 7 All Pro years.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought I read where Williams was injured or coming off an injury?

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Please do not make DJ a high paid LT. I'd just assume trade him and a pick to Washington for Trent Williams. If you're gonna pay someone you pay Trent and his 7 All Pro years.
We're gonna have to pay someone, but paying Trent Williams is a fool's errand. Tons of wasted cash for an old guy who can't play a full season.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Teams are desperate for anybody who can bring competency to the left tackle position. And Humphries has enough good film for someone to pay a premium for him despite the injury history.

The Cardinals are also on their third coaching staff in as many years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Humphries is average when playing. The biggest issue is he isn't playing very often.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'd rather re-sign DJ at a reasonable price or draft a kid to be the long term answer, even if he has to take his lumps.

You have to re-sign Humphries if he shows he can play a whole season, because teams do not let reliable tackles (and that is just average which DJ is and sometimes a little above average) hit the free agent market. You bet you still draft a tackle high and then have him at RT like most teams do till you can move Humprhies to the right

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The other option you have with Humphries IF he can stay healthy all year and play well is the franchise tag in 2020.

This buys you one more year to truly prove he can stay healthy and productive.

Franchise tag may be around ~15m...he counted ~10m this year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other option you have with Humphries IF he can stay healthy all year and play well is the franchise tag in 2020.

This buys you one more year to truly prove he can stay healthy and productive.

Franchise tag may be around ~15m...he counted ~10m this year.

No, thanks
We can get a lineman in March at 6mil for year better then him

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'll just throw this in here; When under pressure, Murray's been sacked on 66.7 percent of his dropbacks (more than double the NFL average), according to Next Gen Stats.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on Keim’s interview this week, he has zero interest in Trent Williams, he thinks he’s too old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave